ADVERTISEMENT

Professional Wrestlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by 40acrefanatic:
HBK was my favorite. The Wrestlemania XIV title match is my favorite ever. The shape his back was in and he and Stone cold put on a hell of a show with Mike Tyson there too.

The other one I loved was the MIck Foley/Undertaker Hell in a Cell match at King of the Ring. The things Mick did to his body you could tell how much he loved performing.
Two of my favorite matches of all time.

Mongo is a real douche. Once, when he was golfing at Onion Creek, he and his buds went to the clubhouse and put a load on. When they left, Mongo had left his wallet, Rolex and his SUPER BOWL RING on the table. Jim Brewster, my buddy and fellow announcer, was the waiter who found everything. He showed it to the manager, who promptly called McMichaels. Mongo shows up, takes his stuff. The manager tells him who found the stuff, and mongo looks at Jim and says, "You were real smart turning shit in. You don't wanna know what would have happened if you'd kept anything." He left without even saying thanks. A real douche.

Cg

I have worked out with and talked to the Undertaker (Mark Calaway) quite a few times at the Golds in Austin. He had a house in Spanish Oaks but I think his ex Sara got it in the divorce.

Unbelievably nice guy and not as big as you'd expect...around 6'6 250. Also, and obviously, tough as nails. One time we talked at the gym and dude had a freshly torn bicep/elbow injury and didn't even phase him. I never really asked him too much about wrestling. His ex did tell me that the large Indian guy from the Longest Yard was very sloppy and lots of the wrestlers feared injury by him.

We only talked about MMA/boxing. He knows his stuff in that area...I was impressed and looked forward to the conversations. He told me once they named one of their pets Golota. Funny stuff.

And he once brought in his new gf at the time (think they married) Michelle and her body was out of control in person.
This post was edited on 5/12 11:52 PM by UTCHAMPS

Pretty sure that "Michelle" is Michelle McCool....one of the Divas.

They came together to the UFC Fight Night event at the Erwin Center back in September.

Mark and Michelle McCool are married. They had a very private ceremony a few months ago. She recently lost a "loser leaves WWE" match so now she's gone. She left to spend more time with Mark while he heals and waits for wrestlemainia next year. I think it will be his last. His body is in bad shape and has been for a few years now and he's getting older. Plus being 20-0 at Wrestlemainia will never be topped

If he can walk by Wrestlemania. I love Mark, but he is getting old. Real old. I heard Hogan had one of the worst work rates in the biz, and that Nash was a walking injury factory.

Mike

I'm a distant relative of tito santana.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I'm a distant relative of tito santana.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

The story I have isn’t all that great, but here goes. Me and my ex were coming out of out of the Atlanta airport as this guy is walking towards us. Look over at my ex and say “that’s the Big Boss Man (Ray Traylor)” he then looks over at us and give me this look like he want to kick my ass for pointing who he was. We kept walking and my ex turns to me after we pass him and said “what an asshole did you see how he was looking at you.” I said “I guess he didn’t want people to know who he was. “

Originally posted by Kettler:
The story I have isn’t all that great, but here goes. Me and my ex were coming out of out of the Atlanta airport as this guy is walking towards us. Look over at my ex and say “that’s the Big Boss Man (Ray Traylor)” he then looks over at us and give me this look like he want to kick my ass for pointing who he was. We kept walking and my ex turns to me after we pass him and said “what an asshole did you see how he was looking at you.” I said “I guess he didn’t want people to know who he was. “

Naw, Ray could be a putz. Jim Cornette used to tell stories about he ribs that Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane would pull on him when he was Big Bubba.

I remember when he was supposed to drop the UWF title to Steve Williams. As the tale goes, He wasn't very happy with the idea of doing a job for anyone, especially on television, so he was stiffing the hell out of Dr. Death. Death backs him into a corner and brings a forearm down across Bubbas jaw that knocked a tooth out. He behaved after that.

Too bad both are dead. Too bad so many have passed away. TOO many.

Cg

Watched the Rise and Fall of WCW last night, the industry needs another power brand. TNA sucks.

Originally posted by jpj927:
Cd, how was Beniot thought of? Did he have a lot of issues?

He was respected in the lockerroom, except by Nash in WCW. Nash called him, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero the "Vanilla Midgets" (which was funny, because any one of them--especially Dean--could have taken apart at the joints). Besides Eddie, he did't have any real friends. When Eddie died, he had no anchor and he went downhill fast.

I never liked him. I remember I had a student in Houston at the Children's Hospital with leukemia. He was a Beniot fan. We called him and he said he'd go by. He never did; later, he claimed he had to fly out early to get to Atlanta for Raw, which was a blatant lie to me because I knew he was in Houston until Monday morning. Fortunately, Jim got a hold of Lee Samuels over at Top Rank, who called George Foreman, who showed up literally within an hour of the phone call.

Kevin and Nancy were friends of mine through Bruce Tharpe, so when she ran of with Beniot, I felt bad for Kevin (but he's a bit of an eccentric, himself). When Chris murdered Nancy and the baby, I was flummoxed. I still can't believe that happened.

Cg

Originally posted by caldonna:

He was respected in the lockerroom, except by Nash in WCW. Nash called him, Dean Malenko, and Eddie Guerrero the "Vanilla Midgets" (which was funny, because any one of them--especially Dean--could have taken apart at the joints). Besides Eddie, he did't have any real friends. When Eddie died, he had no anchor and he went downhill fast.

I never liked him. I remember I had a student in Houston at the Children's Hospital with leukemia. He was a Beniot fan. We called him and he said he'd go by. He never did; later, he claimed he had to fly out early to get to Atlanta for Raw, which was a blatant lie to me because I knew he was in Houston until Monday morning. Fortunately, Jim got a hold of Lee Samuels over at Top Rank, who called George Foreman, who showed up literally within an hour of the phone call.

Kevin and Nancy were friends of mine through Bruce Tharpe, so when she ran of with Beniot, I felt bad for Kevin (but he's a bit of an eccentric, himself). When Chris murdered Nancy and the baby, I was flummoxed. I still can't believe that happened.

Cg

Thanks a lot for this story.

I am a boxing nut and I have heard a ton of awesome Foreman stories and this is another one to add.

Originally posted by GDforHC:
hmmm....Jim Rome hates Foreman for some reason.

All I know he is ridiculously hard to deal with when it comes to licensing his image and such and anyhting that is business oriented.

But for charity and kids, he is usually a champ.

Just an awesome, awesome thread well worthy of the Classics - thanks again to everyone for sharing such great stories.

My only contribution to this thread comes by way of my buddy - when he was around 10 and his brother was around 8 their dad took them out to the Sportatorium one Friday night. Now it's been mentioned in this thread once or twice, but the Sportatorium was an absolute s***hole and often attracted a crowd to match. As the thre of them make their way to their seats, my buddy and his brother get completely giddy as they realize they are sitting in the first row and are like "Wow, Dad, you're awesome! You got front row seats!" Dad responds, "Have you seen the back? They're fighting more back there than they are in the ring!"

The card gets moving along and eventually out comes Percy Pringle. He's making his way around the ring before the match and my buddy's Dad, who had bought a program on the way in, holds it out and yells for Percy to sign it for his kids. Percy, doing his heel bit, takes the program and a pen and then proceeds to tear it to pieces and throw it on the ground. My buddy's dad, who was about 10 Coors deep at that point, reacted as any good ol' West Texas boy would when he felt like someone was being rude to him and his kids - he proceeded to vault over the railing and jump Percy from behind. He got in two or three good shots before security intervened and told him it was time to go. As they were walking out in the parking lot he started to apologize to the kids for cutting their evening short, but it soon became clear that they held him in almost religious awe for his heroic actions. My buddy said that he and his brother were afraid to act up in the house for almost two months afterwards.

Originally posted by Kettler:

Naw, Ray could be a putz. Jim Cornette used to tell stories about he ribs that Bobby Eaton and Stan Lane would pull on him when he was Big Bubba.

I remember when he was supposed to drop the UWF title to Steve Williams. As the tale goes, He wasn't very happy with the idea of doing a job for anyone, especially on television, so he was stiffing the hell out of Dr. Death. Death backs him into a corner and brings a forearm down across Bubbas jaw that knocked a tooth out. He behaved after that.

Too bad both are dead. Too bad so many have passed away. TOO many.

Cg
Yeah, he reminded me of Farve from SuperTroopers. I remember one night, someone took his nightstick and hid it. He was going around the locker room yelling "guys, this is serious! I need my stick! Who has my stick?" The guys were cracking up.

Mike

Cg
Yeah, Chris was quiet, didn't party a lot, was kind of the awkard guy that only had one friend in the world. But no one thought he was capable of what happened.

I remember the night he was going to in the World Title in WWF. A lot of the guys felt as if it was a lifetime achievement award. They were happy for Chris, but there wasn't a lot of the congrats and things that went along with other first time title winners.

Mike

One of my very first memories of wrestling was going to a match in Tulsa
watching Dusty Rhodes and Tully Blanchard in a barb wire match. Lot of blood in that one!! Got to touch Andre the Giant as he walked by and he was the biggest guy i have ever seen!!!

Heard that the Undertaker was really upset after the last Wrestlemania due to all the excessive chair shots that Triple H gave him. Wondering if he will wrestle at all this year or just wait until next year.

From what the guys used to say, Dusty Rhodes was one of the best bookers in the business.

Mike

Originally posted by Esoteric2112:
From what the guys used to say, Dusty Rhodes was one of the best bookers in the business.

Mike
I've heard just the opposite. His style of keeping the title because of a DQ was used so much that it became known as the "dusty finish".

Originally posted by mmahorn:
Originally posted by Esoteric2112:

Mike
I've heard just the opposite. His style of keeping the title because of a DQ was used so much that it became known as the "dusty finish".
Maybe I just hung out with Dusty's friends? ;-) And anyway the idea os keeping the title on a DQ became THE gimmick for heel wrestlers and still works today. It was very innovative and has become an industry standard. Care to weigh in caldonna? You have far more experience in this realm than I.

Mike
This post was edited on 5/13 12:22 PM by Esoteric2112

I can't add much to this thread but I did meet Kevin Nash last year at a convention ... I asked him about Scott Hall and if he was okay ... Nash looked over at me with a slight grin and said "Well that's just Scott being Scott" ... Nash was friendly and much bigger in person that I thought he would be. I'm 6'2" and I looked tiny next to him.

Didn't the great Billy Gunn grow up in Austin? Also, ECW was nothing without New Jack and the greatest manager of all time, Bill Alphonso (calls it straight down the middle)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT