ADVERTISEMENT

Q&A: Shane Buechele talks UT in-home visit, senior season, upcoming enrollment at Texas

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1701975.jpg

Texas has some key components in its 2016 recruiting class, but perhaps no pledge is bigger than that of quarterback Shane Buechele. With the Longhorns' struggles at the quarterback position in recent years, Texas desperately needs to be on target with its QB recruiting, and with Buechele planning to enroll at Texas in January, it's not out of the question that he quickly works his way up the depth chart during spring football.

Last week, Texas QB coach Shawn Watson did an in-home visit with Buechele, and the Arlington Lamar product gave us some time to talk about that visit and his 2015 season, a campaign in which he completed 176-of-271 passes (64 percent) for 2,498 yards with 29 touchdowns against just 6 interceptions.

On his senior season: "It was a great season. Just with having an offseason, with new coaches coming in, we were able to adapt to them, they were able to adapt to us which was a great thing. We started off a little shaky against Richland and in non-district games, but we started playing like a team. We made a great playoff run, and that hasn't been done for a while at Lamar. So I'm pretty excited about our season. I wish we were still playing, of course, but it was a good season."

On the individual progress he made this year: "Individually, I made strides in the leadership aspects. I think that's the number one thing for a quarterback is leadership. Being a senior, I had a leadership role last year, but being a senior, you really have to lead the team. The competition in our district, it was great competition, so everything is going to get better. I got quality reps and practice helps everything - arm strength, footwork, all of it."

On enrolling at Texas in about a month: "A couple days after the season, me and my family were talking, it's really coming up quickly. I'm really excited. People ask me if I'm nervous about it, anything like that. I'm just excited to be down there, excited for the opportunity that's presenting itself in front of me. It's a blessing to be able to go down there next semester, make relationships with those guys, it's just an amazing opportunity.

"It's coming up quickly. A month-and-a-half is still pretty far, but it will sneak up on me. I'm just trying to prepare myself as best I can right now."

On his expectations for his freshman year: "Going down there my first year, I would like to compete for the job. I know Jerrod (Heard) is a great quarterback, Tyrone (Swoopes) is a great quarterback. They've both shown great things. But going down there, I want to play as well. If after the spring semester, they want to redshirt me, I'll be fine with that and I'll keep working hard. But my number one goal is to compete, play as much as I can, learn, grow as much as I can and see where that takes me."

On last week's in-home visit with Shawn Watson: "It was a great time having him at my house. We talked about everything - family stuff, stuff at school, academic stuff, our seasons. It was a great talk. He was there for about 2 1/2 hours. We talked the whole time. Our relationship is great. I'm excited to get down there in a couple weeks."

On potential staff shake-ups at Texas: "The thought of coaches leaving is pretty scary. Not scary, but I guess it worries me a little bit. I want to go into a school where the coaches that recruited me are still there. The possibility of going to a school not knowing which coaches are going to be there is a little worrisome, but I'm committed to the school and not the coaches. We'll see what happens. Like I said, I'm just excited to be down there."

On what he has planned for his remaining time before he reports: "For me personally, I'm going to try to spend as much time with family and friends as I can. Also working out too. I'm trying to get in shape. I didn't get to lift as much during the season, so I'm trying to get my body in shape. I'll definitely hang out with family as much as I can, cherish as much time as I can with them and friends."

On an updated height and weight: I'm about 6-1, 185 right now. I want to add a little weight. I'll add probably 10 pounds but they'll do that when I get down there. I more want to get myself in shape endurance-wise.

On if he still plans to play baseball at Texas: "I do. I'm probably not going to this spring - I'm going to try to make it out to a couple practices, swing the bat, throw the ball to stay in it. But I definitely want to play baseball. I love that sport as well. But football will be my first priority when I get there."

On if the coaches have talked to him about whether or not they'll look at a second quarterback in this class or a JUCO quarterback: "They have talked to me about it. They've also told me they're probably not going to. We will see if they take one. That's their decision. If they do, he's going to try to come compete, I'm going to try to compete. We're both going to be going towards same thing. If they take one, we'll see where it goes and just go through it."

Video: Buechele senior video

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News