ADVERTISEMENT

Quick observations from Wednesday's practice

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
The Texas Longhorns allowed media members to watch a brief portion of practice on Wednesday.

Here are a few of my practice observations:

--- Texas sophomore defensive back Malik Muhammad was limited during the portion of practice we were allowed to watch. Longhorn football coach Steve Sarkisian said the goal is to have Muhammad practicing at full speed by Wednesday or Friday. It looks like Friday is the goal.

--- It was a rough start to practice for sophomore receiver Johntay Cook. He dropped two catchable passes during drills on Wednesday. Cook dropped another pass that could be blamed on the quarterback. However, it hit one hand while running a slant route. Those drops were unlike Cook and a potential anomaly.

--- Speaking of drops, the ball bounced off the hands of Christian Clark and Jerrick Gibson on back-to-back plays in the flat.

--- Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln? Well, those were the only drops by those players I noticed. Cook did go high to make a spectacular touchdown reception during practice.

--- The players working as punt returners were Isaiah Bond, Johntay Cook, Matthew Golden, Parker Livingstone, Ryan Wingo, Ryan Niblett, and Aaron Butler.

--- Random observation: I love Wardell Mack’s pursuit of the ball. When DBs had to lay flat on their chest, get off the ground, and attack a receiver, Mack flew to the football. Just file that note away for future reference.

--- Texas defensive line coach Kenny Baker worked on driving an opposing player back and quickly getting off the block. Alfred Collins was perfect during those drills. The only critique the staff had for Vernon Broughton was to narrow his base. However, Broughton easily corrected that on the next rep. Aaron Bryant needed more instruction than Colins and Broughton.

--- Baker loved Texas Edge Trey Moore during every drill. In addition, he had high praise for Barryn Sorrell. On a side note, it is easy to overlook Sorrell because he performs every drill on a high level and it looks effortless. Nevertheless, that is what makes Sorrell so good.

--- Speaking of effortless, running backs coach Tashard Choice screamed with joy after Quinn Ewers completed a swing pass to Jaydon Blue. He said, “Man, I wish I could throw a pass that pretty.”

--- C.J. Baxter looks healthy and runs with the 1s. However, Blue is impressive. I love his footwork and burst of speed. He is dynamic. Even if Blue is the No.2 running back, he will have a major impact this season.

--- Gunnar Helm has deceptive speed. I was standing on the sidelines when Helm caught a pass in the seam and Helm was moving pretty damn fast. From a speed perspective, I think he is comparable with Ja’Tavion Sanders.

--- Juan Davis caught every pass thrown to him as the No.2 tight end. He continues to have a great spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News