ADVERTISEMENT

Random thoughts after Texas puts up a valiant effort but comes up short in the Sugar Bowl

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
AP24002078367906.jpg

It was a terrific season for Texas and that’s how this one should be remembered, but this was certainly a disappointing way to end things, and a crappy way to start off the New Year. Texas didn’t play its best game – far from it – but was still able to come within an eyelash of pulling off an incredible comeback. Heartbreaking loss.

This was just a bad match-up for Texas with an overmatched secondary facing a truly elite passing attack, and Washington made it look pretty easy on offense all night in marching up and down the field. On the flipside, the Huskies made enough mistakes late to give Texas a chance and keep things very interesting, but it just wasn’t in the cards for the Longhorns to complete the miracle comeback. I’d love to say this was a fluke win or proclaim the Huskies as underserving victors, but the truth is that Washington was the better team tonight for about 50 minutes of this game. Texas just didn’t have an answer for Washington’s offensive weapons. Tip of the cap to Texas for a valiant effort and also to the Huskies for their overall performance. Personally, I hope Washington goes out and take down Michigan. I think they will.

You hate to put too much emphasis on one position, but I said coming into the game this one would really come down to the quarterback play. If both Quinn Ewers and Michael Penix were at their best, things would be interesting. I figured Penix would do his thing, but said if Ewers struggled that Texas wouldn’t have much of a shot. Unfortunately, that came to fruition with Penix playing at an elite level (like he usually does) and Ewers taking a step back from what he showed in the Big 12 Championship Game before heating up in the fourth quarter. Ewers fought like a damn warrior in nearly leading Texas back but it was just a little too little, a little too late for Texas.

The other match-up I said would be huge was the interior of the Texas defensive line versus the interior of the Washington offensive line. If Texas could get some pressure on Penix without blitzing, I liked the Longhorns’ chances. If not, look out. The Texas D-tackles made a couple of nice plays for sure, especially in the ground game, but they weren’t nearly disruptive enough. Byron Murphy and T’Vondre Sweat combined for 2 solo tackles, 0 sacks and 0 QB hurries.

Other streaming thoughts on the game …

One drive, but the Texas offense looked a bit out of sorts on those first few plays, with mistakes by the offensive line, Ewers inaccurate and Washington getting their hands on the passes near the line of scrimmage.

Man, the Texas crowd sounded LOUD on the TV broadcast. This game might as well have been played in Austin.

What the hell kind of spot was that for Washington on that second down run on the first drive? That play probably doesn’t change much, but he was clearly short of the line to gain but the refs immediately gave Johnson the first down.

This game started exactly the way Texas couldn’t afford to happen … Penix getting time in the pocket on his first pass play and Ja’Lynn Polk getting a step, and Penix hitting him in stride for a 77-yard gain to set up Washington’s first score.

Sark loves that throwback screen, either to the tight end or the running back and why not? It seems like most of the time he dials it up, it goes for big yards. It did the first time to Baxter but Washington was ready for it when Sark went back to it with a pass to JT Sanders.

The Texas offensive line was flat out manhandling Washington in the ground game early on. CJ Baxter and Jaydon Blue were averaging more than 10 yards per carry on the Horns’ first two drives, not to mention Baxter’s 31-yard catch and run on the screen pass.

Texas shooting itself in the foot early on with penalties, including a couple holds that killed a drive late in the first quarter. Christian Jones almost singlehandedly shut that drive down with a sack given up and a bad holding call that negated a big gain.

Michael Penix in the first quarter … 5 completions, 138 yards, 237 QBR. Quinn Ewers first quarter … 2 of 6, 38 yards, 86.5 QBR.

How was that a low block on Ryan Watts? He basically hit the OL at the waist line. Not like he took out the guy’s knees. Horrible call.

Not a fan of the third-and-12 play call on the quick screen to Jordan Whittington at all. But it all worked out when Washington muffed the punt on the ensuing play. Huge swing of events right there.

Texas six penalties (and counting) … Washington 0 penalties.

Raise your hand if you had Byron Murphy with a touchdown reception AND a touchdown run this season! Big Murph made that TD run look easy.

Holy crap Michael Penix. I’m not sure I’ve seen a QB throw the deep ball as accurately as he does. That dime he dropped to Odunze was perfectly placed.

Color me surprised that Washington tried to run it up the gut and third and short and then again on fourth and short. Huge stand by the interior of the Texas line (and a nice tackle on third down by David Gbenda) to get the stop for Texas.

Jabbar Muhammad is really good. His coverage on Xavier Worthy in the first half was as good as any DB Worthy saw all year.

Sark pulled a Mike Gundy with the late substitution, forcing Washington to burn a time out. I hate the rule that allows that, but that’s good coaching by Sark and the Texas staff.

Credit to Ja’Lynn Polk on that TD reception, but there was some luck involved in that one as well. It looked like Manny Muhammad got a finger on it, and then Polk was able to get a hand on it to bat it up in the air for a pretty easy touchdown catch. Like I said, really good play by Polk to keep his concentration but there was definitely some luck in the way that ball bounced up for an easy catch.

Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell combined in the first half … 1 catch for 7 yards. Never in my wildest dreams would I have envisioned that.

Washington didn’t have its first penalty until 20 seconds were left on the clock in the first half. It took a blatant personal foul on a sliding Quinn Ewers to get the refs to pull their flags out.

That was a huge response by Texas to score right before the half to tie the game, especially considering Washington would get the ball to start the third quarter. 72 yards in 1:10 to knot the game up at 21.

First half stats of interest … Quinn Ewers 9-18 for 97 yards, 95.3 QBR; Michael Penix 11-14 for 255 yards and 1 TD, 255.1 QBR; Rome Odunze and Ja’Lynn Polk 6 catches for 190 yards; Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell 1 catch for 7 yards; Texas averaging 6.4 yards per carry; Teams combined for 1-9 on third downs; Texas 0 sacks and 0 QB hurries; Washington 5 PBU, Texas 0.

That was a surgical drive by Washington to open the third quarter. Texas didn’t exactly make it difficult on a couple of those throws, but Michael Penix was dialed in and accurate on every throw. Penix 6-of-6 on that drive for 56 yards and a touchdown pass. The Longhorns have to find a way to get him out of rhythm if they’re going to have any chance of winning this game.

And on UT’s very next offensive play, CJ Baxter coughs it up. Only some dumb playcalling by Washington allowed Texas to keep the margin to 10 instead of 14. Penix was on fire, but Washington for some reason decides to call three straight run plays, killing the drive and resulting in a field goal.

Some people thought I was nuts for giving Washington’s defensive line the edge over UT’s offensive line in my match-ups, but most of that was based on the presence of Bralen Trice for the Huskies. Unfortunately for Texas, Brice backed up his brash talk from earlier in the week and he was probably the best defensive player on the field. Midway through the fourth quarter he had more solo tackles than all but two players on the field, he had 2 sacks, 3 tackles for loss, 1 QB hit and 1 forced fumble. Texas just didn’t have an answer for him.

Can someone explain to me why Keilan Robinson, with a cast on his hand, was out there handling kick returns? Especially considering Jaydon Blue was doing pretty well in the first half.

Texas goes with some tempo (I believe for the first time since the opening drive) and Ewers finally started to get in a rhythm, only to have Jaydon Blue fumble, pretty much untouched, with Texas nearing the red zone. Fitting.

CJ Baxter flashed some of his talent tonight, but man, he has to be able to stay healthy moving forward or risk getting passed up by Jaydon Blue and maybe even the incoming freshmen.

Adonai Mitchell mistimed his jump a bit on that fourth-quarter touchdown but it didn’t matter. That dude’s ball skills are incredible and he’s a touchdown machine, especially in big games.

Man, I feel awful for Dillon Johnson if that's a serious injury that knocks him out of the championship game. You hate seeing that for any player.

What a valiant effort by Jordan Whittington. The senior has been a forgotten man at times this year, but he came up absolutely huge all game and had the play of his life on that 41-yard grab to set Texas up on that last drive. Everyone loves Whittington and it was great to see come up big in

I thought giving Adonai Mitchell a shot on the last play of the game was the right call. I’ll take my chances with that guy and see where things fall. It just didn’t work out on that one play, but giving him a chance to beat his man with one-on-one coverage was the right call.

Incredibly disappointing end of the season but what a fun ride it’s been. Sark has Texas trending in the right direction and with the way the UT staff recruits, the Longhorns should be regular participants in the College Football Playoff moving forward. Congrats to him and the entire Texas program on a terrific season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News