ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Q&A - What's up with KJ Lacey? Any post-New Year flips? Ryan Wingo info; more

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
USATSI_22018414_168399273_lowres (1).jpg

Are we losing Lacey? Do we have a backup plan?

Right out of the gate with the big guns, huh? And come on people, let's go with only positive thinking this week!

Texas was always going to have to work to hold onto QB commitment KJ Lacey. Nothing has changed there. That’s the nature of the beast when you recruit elite, out-of-state players, especially at quarterback. Schools like Alabama and Auburn continue to aggressively recruit him, and that will likely continue for the next 12 months.

If you’re Texas, you’d obviously prefer that he not take in so many home games for those two programs, but Lacey has always been upfront about his visits and he’s been very open that he wants to enjoy the experience and take in as many live college football games as possible while he has a chance. Is Texas losing him? I wouldn’t go that far yet, but it’ll be a battle to keep him in the fold.

As for back-up plans, I’m sure the staff has some ideas, but there aren’t really any other options right now in terms of offered QB prospects in the 2025 class.

Thoughts on McKinley and Bussey.

My thoughts on Terry Bussey and Dominick McKinley are that if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t put my money on Texas to land either one. Could the Longhorns get one (or both) away from A&M? Sure, but the odds aren’t in UT’s favor. With Bussey, Texas will continue to talk to him, as the coaches have for months, but that one likely comes down to A&M or LSU. For Texas to have a realistic chance, he probably needs to get back to Austin one more time.

McKinley might be more likely to peel off of his A&M commitment, but there’s no guarantee that Texas would be the choice if he flips. LSU, Tennessee and Oklahoma are all in the hunt as well.

Give us 3 Out Of State 2025 prospects that we should keep an eye on, and have a real chance of coming to Texas.

Can I just pick the three committed guys?

Assuming you want uncommitted players, give me RB Jordon Davison, WR Marcus Harris and I’ll take OL Devin Harper as a bit of a wildcard for my third choice.

Assume Texas will take 4 receivers from the HS ranks next year. Other than Marcus Harris about whom we just heard about, what 5-6 receivers in Texas does Texas have the best shot at?

It’s a pretty deep year so there should be plenty of options for Chris Jackson. Other than Harris, Texas is in a good early spot with guys like Andrew Marsh and Taz Williams Jr.. The Longhorns are also in the mix to possibly flip Dakorien Moore at some point, and guys like Jacorey Watson, Daylan McCutcheon, Kelshaun Johnson, Tanook Hines, Carterrious Brown and Kaliq Lockett could all be potential options.

How close were we to losing Ryan Wingo?

I don’t think recent signee Ryan Wingo was really a huge threat to flip to Missouri, but there were some late conversations with the Mizzou coaches, and late conversations between Wingo and his family about his final decision. Those talks went on all the way until the afternoon of the first day of NSD1, which is a part of the reason that Wingo’s letter of intent was so late coming in.

The good news, I’m told that once the dust settled and Wingo had signed, he is absolutely thrilled with his decision to sign with Texas and the five-star standout is ready to get down to Austin and get to work. Before heading to Austin, he'll be in San Antonio for the All-American Bowl.

Offensive tackles in 2025??? You got Michael Fasusi and Lamont Rogers

Seems Lamont’s been favoring Blowu ??? Any other tackles we should keep our eyes on

Byron Washington’s a guard

It could be a Texas-OU battle for both Fasusi and Rogers in the end. Other guys that Texas has targeted early include Jordan Coleman, Jonte Newman, Tyler Thomas, Ty Haywood and a handful of out-of-state guys like Devin Harper and David Sanders, who just happens to be the top-ranked player in the country.

What is the total number of commits (including transfers) left do we take?

Those numbers are always flexible so it’s hard to pinpoint exactly, but Texas clearly wants to take at least one more in the 2024 class, with a defensive lineman being the top priority. The staff would probably even take two if the right guys wanted to come aboard. I expect the coaches will also take a couple more guys from the portal as well, with wide receiver being a top priority.

How is Texas looking early with the 2025 in state class, particularly the super blue chip guys? Better than this time the last couple of years with the last two classes?

I don’t want it to sound like you all need to be worried because we know how this staff can recruit, but Texas isn’t exactly running away with things with the top guys in the state. Dakorien Moore is committed to LSU. Devin Sanchez is about to come off the board, likely for Ohio State. Jonah Williams will be a real battle with teams like Texas A&M. Oklahoma is in a good spot with a couple of the top guys in the state. Texas will get its men and is in a solid spot with players like Andrew Marsh, Michael Riles and Riley Pettijohn and there’s plenty of time to chip away at some of those other players.

Assume Brian Kelly does leave LSU for Michigan in January. Could any of their 2024 recruits potentially be back in play for us this year?

In looking at LSU’s 2024 commitment list, all 28 commitments have signed their letters of intent. I guess a few guys could ask out of their LOIs in the scenario you mentioned, but that’s a lot of ifs we’re getting into. There really aren’t many guys on LSU’s commitment list that Texas actively recruited other than maybe offensive linemen Ory Williams and Weston Davis.

If (and it's a big IF) Bussey comes here, does he play WR or DB?

Texas has talked to him about both spots over the course of his recruitment. Originally the staff recruited him as a defensive back, but on his official visit back in June he had conversations with coaches from both sides of the ball. Personally, I’d put him at wide receiver but Bussey is a guy you just bring in and figure it out as things go along.

Who is Anthony Williams and do we have a chance?

Anthony Williams is a 2025 LB out of Shadow Creek in Pearland. He’s a guy that Texas offered last summer and he made his way to a handful of Texas games in the fall, including Wyoming and the Texas-OU game. As for Texas having a chance, absolutely. He posted on X (Twitter) this week that he’ll be committing on New Year’s Day, and there’s not a team on his offer sheet that I’d put above Texas right now.

When we win in NO and in Houston, will we land a few more big names in February.

Texas could add to its 2024 group in February but it would probably only be one player, two at the most. I guess it’s possible that some members of the 2025 class could commit that month but I’d expect most to wait until the summer when they can take official visits, especially with February being a dead period.

If Sark decides they take 3 more for next season, which positions do you see them taking from the apparent needs of DT, LB, WR, TE?

Do you see it pushing past Spring when more players might enter the portal?

If we’re talking a combined three more from the 2024 class and the Portal, I’d rank the positions of need as DT, WR and then probably TE. I would think the coaches would love to have those spots filled before the spring portal window in April, if possible, so the players can go through spring workouts.

% of hanging on to Lacey?

I still like Texas’ chances to keep him in the fold as things stand now. Yes, he’s taken a lot of visits, but every time I talk to him he’s really happy with his decision and he raves about his relationship with the UT coaching staff. I’d put it at 65%.

Recruiting/portal/HS signing day related, how would you fix the transfer portal, and would you go back to one HS signing day

Man, that’s a question for much smarter people than me. But personally, I’d limit the number of times players can transfer without a penalty. One transfer seems sufficient to me. I would not go back to one signing day, but I like the idea of moving the December signing window up, possibly even to late summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News