ADVERTISEMENT

Rogue Thoughts: 5 in-state future super blue chips that Texas needs to offer

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1677163014802.png

As I work on putting the finishing touches on the debut of the 2025 LSR Top 100 list, I've found myself crawling through the weeds in the name of identifying the next round of super blue chip-level prospects in the state of Texas.

By my count, the Longhorns have already offered 22 prospects from the sophomore class of 2025. As the Texas coaches go into the spring evaluation process, new offers will continue to emerge. Here are five guys that the Longhorns need to give very serious consideration to offering.

The good news is that the Longhorns are already on the Lockett express after hosting him at a Junior Day back in January. My guess is that the more new Texas wide receivers coach Chris Jackson sees of the 6-2, 180-pound Lockett, the more he's going to love him.

A dynamic weapon after the catch and in the air, Lockett might be my No.2 wide receiver in a deep year at the position.

The 6-0, 170-pound Sellers was originally listed as a pro-style quarterback in the database, but has been changed to cornerback and is a do-it-all athlete from my perspective that has the athleticism and playmaking ability to be a star on either side of the ball.

Already holding offers from Oklahoma, Baylor and Texas Tech, this kid is going to see his stock blow up over the spring as more schools get an up-close look at him. Sellers took visits to Baylor and Houston in January during the Junior Day circuits.

Texas running back coach Tashard Choice has already offered two in-state backs, but my personal No.1 player at the position inside the state of Texas for 2025 is the 6-1, 190-pound Barker from The Woodlands.

With offers from Florida State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Penn State, Missouri and Purdue (among others) already in hand, the word is starting to get out.

This dude is a bull between the hash marks that is comfortable in all areas of the field and doesn't simply look to break everything outside. Has the ability to make guys miss in tight quarters and the speed to run away from the pack.

The 6-4, 214-pound Johnson is still a sleeper from East Texas at this point with only a handful of small offers, but expect his stock to blow up in the coming months because he could be the state's best tight end prospect and one of the state's top defensive ends at the same time.

His play as a tight end is pretty exciting because he has the ability to be a real playmaker at the next level in the right offense. The kid can take the top of a defense in the passing game, he's physical as a blocker and he can rush the passer on the other side of the ball.

He's big-time.

The Longhorns haven't offered any in-state quarterbacks from the 2025 class yet, but Jenkins is probably my favorite at this point of the evaluation process and the fact that he already has an offer from Texas A&M as its first in-state quarterback is a sign of what will eventually come his way.

At 6-3, 190 pounds, Jenkins good mobility, but more than anything he can flat out throw the football all over the field in ways that suggest he might end up having a special arm talent as he continues to develop physically. He can already throw the ball down the seams on an absolute line and there's not much I've seen from him that I don't like. He's got some Cade Klubnik in him.

Visited Texas back in November.

Attachments

• 1677163014802.png
    1677163014802.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 4,063
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News