ADVERTISEMENT

Some notes on players from Friday's 7-on-7 Tournament

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Been a long week and I'll have more detailed reports on these guys in the coming days, but notes on some of the players that I talked to at the Texas State 7-on-7 Tournament on Friday.

--- Missouri City Ridge Point LB Cameron Townsend lists a top three of Texas, OU and Oregon State. He's going to take visits to all three (OU and OSU already set up) and said he'll hit "several" Texas games in the fall.

Townsend won't be able to make UT's camp on July 18 since he'll be travelling with his family and while this one isn't a slam dunk, I still like the Horns' chances over Oklahoma.

--- Channelview 2016 QB Jalen Hurts may visit UT for the camp on July 18, but it sounds like the plans are up in the air a bit. Hurts' father said they'll be attending but Jalen said he didn't think plans were completely locked in.

The good news for Texas is that when I asked Hurts which schools were standing out, he listed the Longhorns first and no other schools were mentioned.

--- Katy 2016 RB Kyle Porter said UT offered in the spring when Les Koenning called the Katy coaches to extend a scholarship. Porter goes 5-11, 190 and runs a 4.42.

Baylor was his first offer and Illinois has also offered.

Porter said he talks to UT about once a week but he's wide open and really doesn't have anyone standing out at this point.

--- Houston Lamar QB J.W. Ketchum said he has put recruiting on the back burner since transferring over to Lamar and he hasn't really been in contact with any college coaches lately. Ketchum isn't listing any favorites but said he wants to take official visits to Texas and to Auburn.

--- Not a lot new to report with Houston Lamar DB Holton Hill. He'll be at UT's camp next week. I asked him for a response to the thought by some that the Longhorns might be the team to beat and Hill just smiled and said he's keeping things wide open.

--- Manvel will send several prospects to UT's camp next week.

2015 DB Will Lockett, who holds more than 15 offers, has been told there's a chance he could get an offer depending on how he performs at the camp. If the Longhorns offer, he could be a candidate for a quick commitment. Of his current offers, UCLA may be the team to watch.

2016 ATH D'Eriq King, who holds early offers from Baylor, Clemson, Louisville, Michigan State, Texas Tech and UCLA, will also be at the camp. He'll work out at both WR and QB.

2015 Manvel WR Gary Haynes will also be in attendance.

2016 standouts Deontay Anderson and Reggie Hemphill are unsure if they'll be attending. Texas is still in the mix for both, but neither is anywhere near making a decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News