ADVERTISEMENT

Stargazing – Transfer DL Tiaoalii Savea: “Coach Nansen wasn’t the main reason why I came to Texas.”

CodyCarpentier

every like is another Jonathon Brooks rushing yard
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2023
Roanoke, VA
www.thedraftrankings.com
Tiaoalii Savea, DL - (Desert Pines) Las Vegas, NV by way of the University of Arizona

Height: 6’4

Weight: 293 lbs

Rivals Rank out of HS: 5.8 (4-star) - 18th ranked Strong Side Defensive End

Rivals Rank in Portal: 5.6 (3-star) - 509th overall player in Transfer Portal

Report: Tiaoalii Savea played on 353 defensive snaps in 2023 as a member of the Arizona Wildcats defense. That number was good for third on the Wildcats' defense and translated to the Longhorns in 2023, would have finished third behind T'Vondre Sweats 415 snaps and Byron Murphy's 370. The Longhorns' run defense finished sixth in College Football in Run Defense Grade, according to PFF, while Arizona finished 44th.

I caught up with Savea this week and asked him what part of his game he believes translates best to this Texas defensive line. His response was, "The game I bring is the run-stop. I love stopping the run. It’s my specialty. Hopefully this season, I can show that I am capable of being a third- and fourth-down player too."

Texas has already begun its journey of trying to replace T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy on the field, however, next week’s first spring practice will be the first time this specific group will be on the field together. Will it be Savea, Sydir Mitchell, Aaron Bryant, or another lineman to take a big step forward?

Projected Defensive Tackle Depth Prediction:
  1. Vernon Broughton
  2. Tiaoalii Savea
  3. Jaray Bledsoe
  4. Zac Swanson
Projected Nose Tackle Depth Prediction:
  1. Alfred Collins
  2. Sydir Mitchell
  3. Austin Bryant
  4. Alex January
Notes from Savea about Former Arizona Wildcat and Now Texas Longhorn Co-Defensive Coordinator Coach Johnny Nansen, “Coach Nansen wasn’t the main reason why I came to Texas. For me, it was the level of competition that I wanted to challenge myself against. I wanted to play alongside the right players and coaches to ultimately, go win the natty. I believe that Coach Sark and his coaching staff has the ability to help me achieve this dream. I also wanted to challenge myself to become the best version of me, on and off the field. As for Coach Nansen, he brings that 'dawg' mentality that he brought to the 2023 Arizona defense. He has the desire to help his players become the best that they can be. He is a family man, and that is one thing that I respect about him.”

I also asked Tiaoalii Savea what his top goal was for spring practice next week. His response was, "DOMINATE"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News