ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Sarkisian recaps scrimmage, discusses training camp standouts

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian addressed the media on Monday. Sarkisian spent most of the interview session recapping his team’s scrimmage that occurred this past Saturday.

--- Sarkisian began by extending his condolences because of the recent passing of former Texas sports information director Bill Little.

--- Sarkisian expressed happiness that his players are healthy after two scrimmages. He credited the strength and conditioning staff and his training staff.

--- Sarkisian the Longhorn defense played well during the scrimmage. He described the run defense as “stout.” Sarkisian said the defense played well in the red zone and forced field goals.

--- Sarkisian said the front seven has played well recently: “I thought T’Vondre Sweat probably had his best day Saturday. When he plays like that, we're a lot better because he's very difficult to block. I thought Liona Lefau has really made a lot of strides from spring ball through the first 10 days or so of training camp. Had a really good scrimmage Saturday. Ethan Burke had a really nice scrimmage. Both edges kind of getting solidified now. I feel really good about the first three guys with [Barry] Sorrell, Justice [Finkley], and [Ethan] Burke and what those guys can do. I thought Gavin Holmes had a really good week and the week turned out to he had a really good scrimmage and so that was positive.

“The two guys that have been mainstays up front that have been kind of solidifying their spots and what they're doing, obviously, Alfred Collins and Byron Murphy, again, that that front is tough, they're big, they're physical, they're athletic. They're playing really well together. And I think a lot of that stems from Jaylan [Ford], just his communication up there at the line of scrimmage, getting everybody tied together. So that was good.”

--- Sarkisian said there were too many dropped passes during the scrimmage. He said that was disappointing after a good camp and is an area that needs to be cleaned up.

--- There were only two turnovers (a forced fumble and an interception) on Saturday, according to Sarkisian.

--- Sarkisian was impressed with the offense staying on the field and extending plays on third-down. That has been a point of emphasis this offseason.

--- Sarkisian praised tight end Gunnar Helm’s performance. Helm has been a player Sarkisian has mentioned multiple times recently.

--- In addition, Sarkisian said freshman receivers Johntay Cook, Ryan Niblett, DeAndre Moore stood out during the scrimmage.

--- Sarkisian on the quarterbacks: “I really think their command has really improved, at their various stages. I think Quinn being a second-year starter, he's definitely in command of that first unit, and you feel good about that. I think that Arch and Maalik both have grown in their roles and what they're doing in their command of the offense and taking charge. Obviously, we got to keep pushing consistency at that position, whether it's fundamentals, whether it's progression, whether it's pocket presence, whatever it's tempo, whatever that looks like. But there's a level of consistency at that position that I think ultimately drives the unit and we have to keep working on that, and that’s why we coach.”

--- Sarkisian on the benefit of Ewers having a better command of the offense: “There's much less anxiousness or anxiety amongst not just Quinn, but I think everybody. The quarterback permeates his feeling. Then the quarterback permeates belief, and confidence, that instills that not only in the other offensive players but really the entire organization. That's why the position is what it is. I think Quinn definitely has a lot of confidence right now. He feels very comfortable with what we're doing. He's executing at a high level, but there's little things that we keep working with him on. I think he appreciates that. I think he appreciates being coached because ultimately like every player, we're trying to make them the best that we can.”

--- Sarkisian will conduct a mock game on Saturday to get a feel and sense of the routine, starting from the pregame ritual. In addition, Sarkisian said they will work on at least 50 situations that their team needs to be prepared for during games, including substitutions.

--- Sarkisian said he intends to release his depth chart to the team by Saturday. Typically, the depth chart is not released to the media until Monday before the season opener.

--- Sarkisian was asked to list his team’s best tacklers after two scrimmages:

The first person he named was freshman DB Manny “Malik” Muhammad. Sarkisian said they knew Muhammad was long and had great coverage skills, but did not know tackling would be one of his strengths.

Sarkisian said Lefau had a tackle that resulted in a forced fumble on Saturday.

In addition, Sarkisian praised Jalon Catalon for his attitude and physicality.

--- Sarkisian was asked to name the players who have stood out since July. He said freshman defensive back Jelani McDonald has been impressive. Sarkisian praised McDonald’s football IQ. Niblett has also impressed Sarkisian.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News