ADVERTISEMENT

Steve Sarkisian wants top 5 offensive linemen to play regardless of position

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Here are the highlights from Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian’s media availability after practice on Tuesday:

--- Sarkisian on Maalik Murphy pushing Quinn Ewers to start at quarterback: “I think one key, and I know we like talking about the quarterback position, open competition is really healthy for everybody. Everybody should feel like, man if I can push myself to perform at a higher level and ultimately push the guys around me, whether the guy is in front of me on the depth chart or behind me, everybody's play should step up. It's easy to point to the quarterback competition. Every position is an open competition. I can't tell a guy right now, hey, at whatever position, he's the starter regardless. Everybody should be striving to be the best that they can be. We've got a long way till we play in September.

“So, ultimately, yeah, can Maalik push Quinn? Of course. How far can he take it? Quinn's job is to keep raising his level of play so he can't catch him. That should be at every position across the board.”

--- Sarkisian said Jonathon Brooks looked strong during his first practice since hernia surgery after last season. In addition, Sarkisian said he likes the competition between Jaydon Blue, CJ Baxter, and Savion Red, and believes the room will be solid this year.

--- Receiver Isaiah Neyor was limited in practice on Tuesday. Sarkisian said Neyor’s rehab has gone well and, “Gradually working him back in at the rate that we're going is a good sign for where we need to be come the fall.”

--- Sarkisian stopped short of saying defensive backs Jaylon Guilbeau and Jalon Catalon will not play this spring but it is seemingly trending in that direction. Sarkisian said Guilbeau is rehabbing and did not have any setbacks while pointing to Catalon’s experience and saying he is not worried about the defensive back missing spring practice. In addition, Sarkisian said he did not want Catalon’s injury lingering in the fall and wants him to be ready for the season.

--- Sarkisian said he was happy with the good choices and decisions by his players during spring break.

--- Sarkisian on offensive linemen Cam Williams: “I think Cam is doing well. Cam is a guy that impressed everybody when he first got here with this ability to move. For such a big man, he's got really good feet. He's got a really high football IQ. I credit him, Coach [Torre] Becton, and his staff. I think his body has really changed. Not only has he lost weight, but he's gotten stronger. That's a good sign. He's pushing for a spot in that five. Like we tell the linemen all the time, and Coach [Kyle] Flood and I have believed this at all three of our stops that we've been together, we want to play the best five guys. So, not trying to pigeonhole guys, like he's a tackle or he's a guard or he's a left tackle or he's a right tackle. Whatever you are, we'll get you out there, and we'll find the best five to get out there. I was thinking about Evan Neal when we had him in Alabama, he started as a left guard. In year two, then he went and played right tackle. In year three, he went and played left tackle. So, it's about finding that right combination of the right five guys in camp, and he’s pushing for a spot in there.”

--- Sarkisian said Ethan Burke has stood out at the Edge position and the staff has seen “flashes” from him. Sarkisian also said J’Mond Tapp has flashed, Jaray Bledsoe has position flexibility, and he likes the “prospect” of Colton Vasek.

--- Sarkisian on the competitions at weakside linebacker and cornerback: “The linebacker thing, we've got a lot of depth there. All of a sudden it went from okay, what are we going to do with DeMarvion [Overshown] being gone? And then Jaylan [Ford] decides to come back and that's great having him back. The development of Jett Bush has been positive. The development of Mo Blackwell has been a real positive. David Gbenda had the best offseason he's had since we've been here, and it showed up in his play, not only on defense but on special teams. The influx of Liona Lefau and Anthony Hill. It's a very strong position for us, not only defensively, but that linebacking core is critical to our success on special teams as well. D-Mo provided a lot on (special) teams for us, so we feel good about it.

“At the corner position, it's a great competition. We’ve got a lot of good players, a lot of good-looking athletes. Obviously, Ryan Watts with the kind of success he had last year. Gavin Holmes, experienced player. Terrance Brooks, what he did at the second half of last season. I love kind of the development of X'Avion Bryce. Malik Muhammad has stepped in and is a very competitive young man and love what he brings. Then it gives us versatility right with a Jahdae Barron or Austin Jordan, guys of that nature, where we can move them around, maybe play them at nickle some. All in all, we're just trying to create depth, and I think we're finally at a spot now. Somebody mentioned to me coming off the field it feels good to have depth, even in spring practice. Those two positions, we've got much better depth than I think we've had in the previous two years.”

--- Sarkisian said he loves the competitive nature of Blackwell and praised the linebacker commitment to his diet. In addition, Sarkisian said Blackwell plays violent and tough and provides versatility. Blackwell is playing the weakside linebacker position and has received reps at the Sam.

--- Sarkisian’s response when asked how Brenen Thompson is staying engaged with the football team while running track: “I think that's always challenging when a player plays two sports. It’s not only physically taxing if you ask them to do it but mentally taxing. Our thing for Brenen is fast is fast. I feel like him working with Flo [coach Edrick Floreal] and running track this spring is only going to benefit him in the fall from a speed standpoint. You know his speed is a real factor. We saw a couple of glimpses of it last year, and we're hopeful we see more of it in the fall.”

--- Sarkisian said San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan will be the keynote speaker at his coach’s clinic this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News