ADVERTISEMENT

Texas and OU to the SEC?

Seems like this could be a leverage play by UT and OU to force ESPN and Fox to come to the table and talk extension on their TV contracts. So far, the networks have not expressed interest in discussing an extension.

Reactions: clob94
The $EC west is strong. The east is kind of weak. If they continue to add teams, it'll be interesting to see how they divvy things up in each division. To me, they need to rebalance the divisions and perhaps shift some teams around between the divisions.

Seems like this could be a leverage play by UT and OU to force ESPN and Fox to come to the table and talk extension on their TV contracts. So far, the networks have not expressed interest in discussing an extension.
Sooners will handle it by bringin home that crystal trophy. This alone will change some minds. **** sanky and the committee. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: LonghornMM
I’m fine with this if it guarantees I’m able to see UT football in the covid era. Covid won’t go away and Fall mask mandates and shutdowns may become a regular occurrence. The SEC says F Covid and plays regardless. Look at what happened to the PAC 12 last season.

This is what I'm reading....

Citing "a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation," the Chronicle reports that the SEC could announce the additions of the Longhorns and Sooners "within a couple of weeks."

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey would not address the report while in attendance at 2021 SEC Media Days on Wednesday.

I honestly don’t see how this works. The SEC as it is plays everyone on the other division once every decade. Adding two more teams amplifies that even more. I wonder if Texas/OU floated this out there to get other conferences involved.

I honestly don’t see how this works. The SEC as it is plays everyone on the other division once every decade. Adding two more teams amplifies that even more. I wonder if Texas/OU floated this out there to get other conferences involved.
Sanky's more powerful than Bowlsby.

The remainder of the B12 will scramble to join any one of the other three power conferences. P5 just became P4.

I’m not sure it makes sense to leave for Texas or OU. With the expanded playoff the winner of the big 12 is almost guaranteed a playoff spot

I’m not sure it makes sense to leave for Texas or OU. With the expanded playoff the winner of the big 12 is almost guaranteed a playoff spot
You guys need to find an answer for your school's internal strife. Can't latch on to Sooners like little brother cowboy. I'm good with owning the B12. 😁

Yeah, I don't see OU going for this with a free pass to the playoffs every year. Interestingly, it might shove Auburn and Bama into the SEC EAst. Don't think Ou and OSU seperate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Belldozer1
In all fairness the reaction here should be worse. For years we have heard that the SEC is overrated. We have heard that Texas fans don't want any part of the SEC, academics suck, Texas doesn't need the SEC, etc. So, I would think this board here would be in meltdown mode. My guess is that most are jizzing on themselves to be a part of the SEC. As an Aggie I'm 50/50 on it. I don't desire to play Texas anymore, and I'm sure most of you guys feel the same day. This comes down to a vote doesn't it? I really don't know how it all works from here. The bottom line is that Texas and OU will chase this hard because the Big 12 is headed down quickly. There are 2 teams with talent that matches anything that Alabama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Florida and Georgia. It will be interesting.
Stupid argument Ketch makes about having an opportunity to get into Texas. They are already here. Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida already take kids from A&M and Texas.

• Haha
In all fairness the reaction here should be worse. For years we have heard that the SEC is overrated. We have heard that Texas fans don't want any part of the SEC, academics suck, Texas doesn't need the SEC, etc. So, I would think this board here would be in meltdown mode. My guess is that most are jizzing on themselves to be a part of the SEC. As an Aggie I'm 50/50 on it. I don't desire to play Texas anymore, and I'm sure most of you guys feel the same day. This comes down to a vote doesn't it? I really don't know how it all works from here. The bottom line is that Texas and OU will chase this hard because the Big 12 is headed down quickly. There are 2 teams with talent that matches anything that Alabama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, Florida and Georgia. It will be interesting.
Stupid argument Ketch makes about having an opportunity to get into Texas. They are already here. Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida already take kids from A&M and Texas.
To be honest, the bickering about conferences lost its importance once we started getting real world crap to fight about like political wokeness invading sports, our HC hiring mistake #1 & #2, economical suicide, election shenanigans & geopolitical posturing.
Add to that our own internal battles with Eyes of Texas & HOOK'EM hand sign have worn many of us thin on "give a chit."

Personally no, I don't want Texas in the sec although I'd love the additional marquee matchups. But let's not kid ourselves, the b12 is barely treading water until the media contract runs out in ....2025? Where else can we go that makes geographical sense sportswise?

If this pans out the b12 could add Houston, UTSA & 2 others to atleast make the numbers make sense. WV is probably ready for more local travel too.

Early days of the rumor I guess, but it doesn't seem to have the same feel as the Big 12 Missile crisis back when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. Is any TV money up for extension or negotiations that might be triggering some posturing with the networks?

Early days of the rumor I guess, but it doesn't seem to have the same feel as the Big 12 Missile crisis back when Nebraska and Colorado bolted. Is any TV money up for extension or negotiations that might be triggering some posturing with the networks?
Longhorns network contract is expiring so there's that. If they're going to go now would be the time.

I better get my Thanksgiving game back though.

Longhorns network contract is expiring so there's that. If they're going to go now would be the time.

I better get my Thanksgiving game back though.
I don't think the contract is expiring it is either $20m for 15 years or $15m for 20 years. I think the latter.

Tv deal ends in 2025. So yeah if you are going to look at options outside the big 12 this would be when you start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT