Austin, Texas
FINAL SCORE
Texas - 9
San Diego - 4

Win: Cody Howard (1-0)
Loss: Aidan Gonzalez (0-1)
BOX SCORE

RECAP:
Series wins are series wins, regardless of how you get there. That said, it was an inauspicious start for the Horns as starter Tanner Witt lasted just one inning before getting yanked in the 2nd inning having walked the bases full and with a 2-0 count on the next batter. Cody Howard stepped into the breach and promptly walked the next two batters in to give San Diego another early lead, their third in three days. Thankfully, Howard went another three innings without giving up another run, handing things over to Max Grubbs who had the best outing of his young career, going 2.2 IP, giving up just 1 run and striking out 4. Meanwhile, the Texas offense, which started slow kicked things into high gear, taking advantage of 7 walks and getting some timely hitting en route to scoring 9 runs. While the offense is not completely cooking yet, there were flashes of what could be with Jared Thomas and Peyton Powell leading the charge.

Big Moment
In the Bottom of the 5th, trailing 3-2, Jared Thomas came to the plate and did Jared Thomas things, whacking a ball into right centerfield for a lead off double against the first San Diego pitcher out of the bullpen. That double helped kick off the rally which saw the Horns score 3 runs and take a 5-3 lead, one which they did not surrender or look back from.

Individual Performance
Cody Howard came into the ball game in very unfavorable conditions with the bases loaded and no outs. Though he walked in two batters, Howard gave the Horns exactly what they needed in battling for four innings and most importantly, not giving up any more runs. Howard does not have a ton of experience after being injured his first year at Baylor, but he represents a key arm in the rotation for the Horns, especially since there is no guarantee that Tanner Witt will be able regain his form and return to the starting rotation.

Takeaways
While things were not always pretty, the Horns won the series against a veteran team that was very gritty and played solid defense. There will certainly be tougher tests ahead, but it was also just the first weekend of play. The biggest concerns I have after the first weekend is at catcher and with the starting rotation. I have faith in both Lebarron Johnson Jr and Cody Howard, but I need to see a larger sample size from Charlie Hurley and then hope that David Pierce and the staff can help get Tanner Witt right physically. In all, if the bullpen can continue to build off what they showed this weekend, I think they are in a much better spot that I had assumed coming into the season.

Up Next:

Tuesday Night - 630pm - v. Houston Christian

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News