ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Basketball 2023/2024

I like this team. Had a lot of negative headlines this offseason losing the top recruits, but I like what Coach Terry has done with this roster. Reality is the teams that are making runs in the tournament are teams with upperclassmen and transfers. The teams built on one and done freshman get a lot of the press during it the season, but coke march the successful teams look more like this Texas roster as of late. I wish Ron Holland especially would have stayed but this team will be good come tournament time.

Texas opening the season strong. Up 28-11 with 8 mins to go. I think once this team gels together they are going to be really good. The talent is there.

Reactions: Archmadness
One thing this team was missing last year was a legit rim protector. They have one now with this transfer from UVA… goodness

One thing this team was missing last year was a legit rim protector. They have one now with this transfer from UVA… goodness
Ya, once these guys get more time playing defense together, the team will be very good. It's going to take some patience.

Horns got a commitment yesterday from the #1 ranked player in the state.

6’9 Nicholas Codie out of Carrollton.
The one to watch is Tre Johnson. #4 player in the country according to Rivals. He won the state title at Lake Highlands last year, and is now playing at Prep School in Missouri. He is down to Baylor or UT. He visited Waco the weekend of the UT football game (yikes), and Drew pulled in 4 NBA BU alums to show him around.

But as KChorn has taught us - you can't win with freshmen.

The one to watch is Tre Johnson. #4 player in the country according to Rivals. He won the state title at Lake Highlands last year, and is now playing at Prep School in Missouri. He is down to Baylor or UT. He visited Waco the weekend of the UT football game (yikes), and Drew pulled in 4 NBA BU alums to show him around.

But as KChorn has taught us - you can't win with freshmen.
That’s not what I said. I said the teams that win in the tournament isn’t the teams built on one and done freshmen. You can and should recruit freshman. But you gotta have some vet players around them. Coach cal going to the final 4 with 5 freshman and then getting 5 more next year those days are over.

Last edited:
That’s not what I said. I said the teams that win in the tournament isn’t the teams built on one and done freshmen. You can and should recruit freshman. But you gotta have some vet players around them. Coach cal going to the final 4 with 5 freshman and then getting 5 more next year those gays are over.
Dwight Howard will be disappointed.

Don't know if any of you guys listen to Clay Travis on Outkick, but he has offered to bet $1 million that a boys State High School Basketball Champion could beat the WNBA champion.
I don't believe that for a minute. Those women are so fundamentally sound and shoot the hell out of the basketball.

I don't believe that for a minute. Those women are so fundamentally sound and shoot the hell out of the basketball.
I'd be interested in seeing it. A high school club soccer team in Dallas allegedly destroyed the US Women's national team before the world cup. The boys would be much faster and more athletic. But the ladies have some size. Its a bad bet for the WNBA - if they win, big deal these are high schoolers. If they lose - their league loses any credibility. On the flip side - Travis argues that this averages out to about $90K per player for one game if they win. The average WNBA salary is $140K. So if they are so worried about pay equity - here's the chance to earn some quick cash and a ton of publicity.

Don't know if any of you guys listen to Clay Travis on Outkick, but he has offered to bet $1 million that a boys State High School Basketball Champion could beat the WNBA champion.
It wouldn't even be close. A boys HS state champion would easily defeat the WNBA champions. I would qualify it further - it would need to be the top HS classification in the state. Not the small private/religious classifications.

They would never agree to that because of the shame and embarrassment it would create.

Reactions: Lampasas
Males are better at sports than females. Now that that's settled, we can go back to discussing the Longhorn basketball team. What's the expectation this year, round of 32 or Sweet 16? A lot of new faces, I don't really know what to expect.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I'd be interested in seeing it. A high school club soccer team in Dallas allegedly destroyed the US Women's national team before the world cup. The boys would be much faster and more athletic. But the ladies have some size. Its a bad bet for the WNBA - if they win, big deal these are high schoolers. If they lose - their league loses any credibility. On the flip side - Travis argues that this averages out to about $90K per player for one game if they win. The average WNBA salary is $140K. So if they are so worried about pay equity - here's the chance to earn some quick cash and a ton of publicity.
When I was younger I played AAU basketball. They had a women's team USA that had the 10 best girls in the nation at the time. Michelle Snow and Sue Bird were both on that team. I saw them scrimmage a team of 14 year old boys and they absolutely destroyed them. We were at a tournament in Shreveport, Louisiana.

I would take the WNBA girls over a high school boys basketball team. That's just me though.

When I was younger I played AAU basketball. They had a women's team USA that had the 10 best girls in the nation at the time. Michelle Snow and Sue Bird were both on that team. I saw them scrimmage a team of 14 year old boys and they absolutely destroyed them. We were at a tournament in Shreveport, Louisiana.

I would take the WNBA girls over a high school boys basketball team. That's just me though.
Big difference between 14 years olds vs. 17-18 year olds. But play it - I'd watch!

5 and 6 A state champions would defiantly beat a WNBA team. The difference in size and athleticism is just too much to overcome. The Duncanville roster would be bigger at every position than any WNBA team. Their 6 foot guards are probably able to throw down reverse dunks.

The USA women's hockey team would scrimmage boys prep school teams the year they won the gold medal. The high school boys team beat them. It was like 6-4, 3-2 stuff like that. It wasn't a beat down but it was elite level high school boys teams beating the #1 Women's hockey team in the world.

Reactions: weevilcatch

I’d probably take WNBA over an 8th grade basketball team too.

Would you also take the Olympic. Hampton in the Women’s 100m and 4x100 over the Texas state champ?

an all star Boys high school team might beats WNBA team. Just a state championship team somewhere even in the top class. No way.

One thing to keep I’m mind. Many of the top female basketballl players(many of which are in tte WNBA) have played a lot of pickup basketball against dudes for most of their lives. A Random state championship boys team would get run out the gym. Put together an all star high school team? Might have a shot. People under dell high level women’s basketball. They can play.

I’d probably take WNBA over an 8th grade basketball team too.

Would you also take the Olympic. Hampton in the Women’s 100m and 4x100 over the Texas state champ?
They were high school girls, not WNBA players. So it was 17-18 year old girls against freshman boys in high school. Not a big age difference at all.

And to me comparing track and field to basketball is a little different. I just think the girls ability to shoot the basketball would give them a really good chance. Also those girls in the WNBA have some size to them as well so I don't believe the size would give the guys the advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT