ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Basketball 2023/2024

Wow! Didn't see that one coming. That's a great fit if he goes. Kind of hate to see him leave Waco though.
Rumor from Waco is that Drew's family visited Lexington yesterday. He has a deadline of today to accept. Rumors are swirling.

Rumor from Waco is that Drew's family visited Lexington yesterday. He has a deadline of today to accept. Rumors are swirling.
Huge mistake if he does. His way of building a team is far different than the idiots at Kentucky will accept. He brings in developmental guys through the Baptist school/missionary network and develops them over many years. Kentucky will not have any patience. Stay away.

Last edited:
Reactions: diadevic
Huge mistake if he does. His way of building a team is far different than the idiots at Kentucky will accept. He brings in developmental guys through the Baptist school/missionary network and develops them over many years. Kentucky will not have any patience. Stay away.
Evidently he turned them down I agree 100% - Drew is recruiting at a high level now, and does not necessarily need the KY name. However - the headache of outsized expectations would've killed him. If we (BU) had managed to lose Briles, Mulkey and Drew...

Evidently he turned them down I agree 100% - Drew is recruiting at a high level now, and does not necessarily need the KY name. However - the headache of outsized expectations would've killed him. If we (BU) had managed to lose Briles, Mulkey and Drew...
My understanding is no one in the Baylor admin was crying when Mulkey left.

I honestly don’t know where UK goes from here. They could make a run at Donovan after the NBA season, but no guarantee there.

My understanding is no one in the Baylor admin was crying when Mulkey left.

I honestly don’t know where UK goes from here. They could make a run at Donovan after the NBA season, but no guarantee there.

Here's the stuff I read in the Washington Post last week. Draw your own conclusions.

00⁰URL 0unfurl="true"]https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/03/30/alabama-basketball-sign-stealing/[/URL]

Last edited:
Souhds like Kentucky is going to hire BYU coach Mark Pope. Former a Kentucky Player and a good coach, but not sute he’s the guy for that job

Right about now there’s a whole bunch of Kentucky fans saying, “WHAT THE F$&K????”
Is it too late to tell Cal we’re sorry????
Yep coaching basketball at Kentucky is like coaching football at Texas. Maybe worse you gotta have a certain personality. Cal had that. As a coach he’s not great but he has the swagger for UK. Not sure pope has that. Honestly not sure anyone available does.

Yep coaching basketball at Kentucky is like coaching football at Texas. Maybe worse you gotta have a certain personality. Cal had that. As a coach he’s not great but he has the swagger for UK. Not sure pope has that. Honestly not sure anyone available does.
That’s why it didn’t make sense to me to push Cal out. There’s not really a better option out there.

That’s why it didn’t make sense to me to push Cal out. There’s not really a better option out there.
Yep. I was honestly surprised they didn’t make a run at Beard when Cal left and Drew turned them down. Both sides could have used each other.

Yep. I was honestly surprised they didn’t make a run at Beard when Cal left and Drew turned them down. Both sides could have used each other.
Popovich

He's got 5 rings and Ashley Judd likes his politics.

I think Pope is a good hire. Too many people are looking at name instead of fit. He won at schools that are hard to recruit top level players. Not too many high level players are going to want to go to the heart of Mormon Country. He plays an up tempo free flowing style of offense and his players were coached up pretty damn good. If he can bring in top talent and use to portal to shore up need then he should put something better on the floor than what Cal was doing. He will also have the advantage of blue blood program and NIL to help him bring in top players.

I think Pope is a good hire. Too many people are looking at name instead of fit. He won at schools that are hard to recruit top level players. Not too many high level players are going to want to go to the heart of Mormon Country. He plays an up tempo free flowing style of offense and his players were coached up pretty damn good. If he can bring in top talent and use to portal to shore up need then he should put something better on the floor than what Cal was doing. He will also have the advantage of blue blood program and NIL to help him bring in top players.
Pope can coach no question about that. Coaching at UK is more than JUST coaching though. Kinda like coaching football at Texas. Not everyone could do it.

Pope has been able to have guys that are 3 to 5 year players. A team like that can go 2 rounds deep every year. If h has time to build that kind of program at UK, he’s got a chance. The question is, will they be patient enough to let him build the program?

Reactions: diadevic
Texas picking up 3 transfers today.

A pair of Indiana state transfers

forward Jayson Kent his game reminds me a lot of Disu really
Guard Julian Larry will be joining him. Guy shooting 46% from 3

Texas also picked up a commitment from Arkansas Transfer guard Tamron Mack averaged 16.2 points a game shooting 36% from 3.

Love that they are getting shooters

They did let incoming freshman cam Scott out of his NLI. I’m sure kid realized with tre Johnson coming in and Terry looking at guards in the portal there wasn’t going to be as many mins as he thought

Dillion Mitchell is going to the portal. It’s been rumored for awhile. He’s obviously very talented and an amazing athlete, but until he develops a mid range shot he is pretty much at his celling as a player.

Tyrese Hunter to the portal.

Didn’t see that one coming. His spot in the rotation and minutes seemed pretty safe going into next season.

With the news they are recruiting other transfer guards (in addition to Julian Larry), maybe it’s no surprise. Right now it looks like we’re going with 3 of 5 Indiana St starters and the leading scorer for Arkansas.

Reactions: westx
Tyrese Hunter to the portal.

Didn’t see that one coming. His spot in the rotation and minutes seemed pretty safe going into next season.

With the news they are recruiting other transfer guards (in addition to Julian Larry), maybe it’s no surprise. Right now it looks like we’re going with 3 of 5 Indiana St starters and the leading scorer for Arkansas.
Hunter has been rumored for awhile. I’m ok with it. He just never really got better from his freshman year.

We have a transfer guard coming in from Oregon state sounds like Texas is a heavy favorite to land him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT