ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Card House War Room - Depth chart predictions for game week; football/hoops recruiting notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
1661476600755.png

(From Alex)

Once the weekend passes, game-week will finally be upon us. Here, I'll take my best stab at projecting the first official two-deep on offense and defense when the team's depth chart is released after Steve Sarkisian gives his season-opening press conference on Monday:

DEFENSE

SDE - Jack End

Two Deep

Barryn Sorrell (SO)

Justice Finkley (FR)

Other Options

Jaray Bledsoe (FR)

- One of the trickier projections as Coach Sark said today that Ethan Burke had moved his way onto the two-deep at EDGE. For now, I'll assume that he means at the other end, as Burke has practiced at both positions during camp and, frankly, the competition for the No. 2 spot is weaker over there. However, given his frame and potential for growth, Burke's eventual position will likely be on this side.

NT

Two Deep

Byron Murphy (SO)

OR

Keondre Coburn (SR)

Other Options

T'Vondre Sweat (SR)

- Murphy has been starting recently over Coburn (as he should) and I think it's more likely that Murphy is listed as the starter over Coburn on the depth chart, but I think the most likely framing is with an "OR" between the two in a nod to Coburn's seniority.

DT

Two Deep

Vernon Broughton (SO)

Moro Ojomo (SR)

OR

Alfred Collins (JR)

Other Options

No others seem at all likely to be listed on first official depth chart

- It feels wild to put Broughton ahead of these other two guys, but for the last two practices we were able to see/attend, Broughton was running with the first group alongside Murphy. With this said, I could see any permutation of these three players in any order and it wouldn't surprise me. It would only surprise me if any other player was listed in the top 3.

EDGE - Buck End

Two Deep

Ovie Oghuofo (SR)

Ethan Burke (FR)

Other Options

Prince Dorbah (SO)

DJ Harris Jr. (RS FR)

J'Mond Tapp (FR)

- See explanation above regarding the Jack End position.

WILL LB

Two Deep

Demarvion Overshown (SR)

Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey (SR)

Other Options

David Gbenda (JR)

- I think this is how the depth chart will look, but I also think we'll see a lot of DTD and Overshown on the field at the same time in a 3LB sub-package.

MIKE LB

Two Deep

Jaylan Ford (JR)

Devin Richardson (JR)

Other Options

Jett Bush (SR)

Luke Brockermeyer (SR)

- The player behind Jaylan Ford on this two deep is really anyone's guess as we've seen all three of these guys fill the role through camp.

Nickel CB

Two Deep

Jahdae Barron* (JR) (barring injury status)

Jaylon Guilbeau (FR)

Other Options

Michael Taaffe (SO)

- Can Texas just go ahead and put Michael Taaffe on scholarship already?

Corner

Two Deep

D'Shawn Jamison (SR)

Jamier Johnson (SO)

and

Ryan Watts (JR)

Terrence Brooks (FR)

Other Options

Ishmael Ibraheem (FR)

Austin Jordan (FR)

Xavion Brice (FR)

- As weird as it seems, Texas might actually be better at corner this season than it was last because Ryan Watts looks like the real deal. Josh Thompson was a good enough player to get a Senior Bowl invite after 2021, but never in the season did the coaching staff seem as locked-in on him as a surefire starter as they seem to be on Watts.

Safety

Two Deep

Jerrin Thompson (JR)

Kitan Crawford (JR)

and

Anthony Cook (SR)

Morice Blackwell (SO)

Other Options

BJ Allen Jr. (FR)

- I don't know how much Allen is going to play this year, but one day soon he's going to be one of Texas' best players on the defense. It's beyond obvious that he's a tone setter and a ball player.

OFFENSE

QB

Two Deep

Quinn Ewers (RS FR)

Hudson Card (SO)

Other Options

Maalik Murphy (FR)

- Not sure what else needs to be said here.

RB

Two Deep

Bijan Robinson (JR)

Roschon Johnson (SR)* (barring injury status)

Other Options

Keilan Robinson (JR)

- Not sure what else needs to be said here.

X WR

Two Deep

Jordan Whittington (JR)

Casey Cain (RS FR)

OR

Brenen Thompson (FR)

Other Options

Troy Omeire (RS SO) * (barring injury status)

- Brenen Thompson, who was working at the slot to start camp, now finds himself in a spot where he could be asked to play basically both of the other positions at X and Z. If Troy Omeire comes back healthy, it would only make sense to play Thompson as the No. 2 Z behind Worthy.

Slot WR

Two Deep

Tarique Milton (SR)

Savion Red (FR)

Other Options

Jaden Alexis (RS FR)* (barring injury status)

- The top two seem locked in and could be the only two real contributors at the position this season, as Alexis can play both in the slot and at the Z if needed (and, if healthy).

Z WR

Two Deep

Xavier Worthy (SO)

Brenen Thompson (FR)

OR

Jaden Alexis (RS FR)* (barring injury status)

Other Options

No others seem at all likely to be listed on first official depth chart

- See the two explanations above for X WR and Slot. As long as Worthy is healthy, he's not going to come off the field much, so the only time the depth behind him would become of important consequence is if Worthy were forced to miss time. He's not a dude you sub in and out. I don't think he would leave the field even if the coaches tried.

TE

Two Deep

Ja'Tavion Sanders (SO)

Gunnar Helm (SO)

OR

Jahleel Billingsley (SR)

Other Options

Juan Davis (SO)

- With this group of TEs, we should expect to see more 2TE sets than we would have previously had Isaiah Neyor not gotten hurt. Because, when Neyor was healthy, having to two TEs on the field meant keeping Whittington off of it -- there much more opportunity cost in that proposition than keeping Tarique Milton off the field. As nice a camp as Milton has had, he's not a Whittington-caliber talent.

OFFENSIVE LINE

- At this point, unless there are major undercover shenanigans taking place to mess with everyone about the hierarchy here, the OL looks pretty easy to project and self-explanatory based on the usage we've seen in camp both prior to and following the Junior Angilau injury:

Left Tackle

Two Deep

Kelvin Banks (FR)

Andrej Karic (RS SO)

Left Guard

Two Deep

Hayden Conner (SO)

Cole Hutson (FR)

OR

Malik Agbo (FR)

Center

Two Deep

Jake Majors (RS SO)

Logan Parr (SO)

Right Guard

Two Deep

DJ Campbell (FR)

Neto Umeozulu (FR)

OR

Cole Hutson (FR)

Right Tackle

Two Deep

Christian Jones (SR)

Cam Williams (FR)

(From Suchomel)

Jonah Wilson gave Texas a commitment back on June 26, as his UT official visit was concluding. Since then, the Spring Dekaney receiver has kept a low profile.

Nothing wrong with that at all if you’re Texas. Wilson remains locked in with his decision and his only focus right now is on his senior season.

The 6-4, 210-pound pass catcher plans to be in Austin for the Alabama and UTSA games. He’ll get a chance to watch his brother, UTSA WR Joshua Cephus, for that second visit.

Looking back at his decision to commit to Texas, Wilson said it wasn’t a foregone conclusion that he was going to decide during his official visit. While in town, he said he “felt everything (he) needed to see” so he went and committed at Steve Sarkisian’s house before heading back home.

“It was just the environment. They have a great coaching staff there,” Wilson said. “I love the players they have on the team. My recruiting class, I love those guys. We’re building a good bond. It’s just s a different mindset. We all know what we expect. Then there’s the stuff outside of football I love the city of Austin. There are a lot of opportunities out there.”

Wilson said he stays in touch with Arch Manning, Johntay Cook and Derek Williams. Having Manning committed, and Quinn Ewers already on campus, has Wilson feeling even better about his decision.

“I know I’ll get the ball,” Wilson said. “I’ll just do my job to get open so those guys can get me the ball.”

Wilson and Dekaney kick off their season on Friday against Klein Oak. Wilson said he feels like he’s improved from an athletic standpoint from last year and he’s anxious to show that on the field.

“I lifted more. We got a new strength and conditioning coach. I was just squatting more, lifting more. I just feel like I’m a better athlete,” Wilson said.

Last year, Wilson played through a groin injury for much of the season. Now healthy, he’s ready to show off different elements of his game.

“Me personally, I know I’m not the same player I was last year. I dealt with some injuries. Me getting healthy, I’m doing more with the ball in my hands, running different routes, showing my speed, how explosive I can be with the ball,” Wilson said. “And blocking, creating holes for my teammates so they can increase their yards.”

Having guys like Jonah Wilson and Arch Manning in Derek Williams’ ear should boost the Longhorns’ chances of holding onto the Rivals100 safety’s commitment, but Texas is going to have to fight off other schools.

As OB reported on Sunday, Williams currently has an official visit on the schedule for Alabama on October 7. He also wants to visit LSU, Texas A&M and Miami (he took his Texas OV in June).

Any time Alabama is in the mix, it’s a situation worth watching. But I’m told there’s a strong chance that October OV won’t happen. Nick Saban prefers to have his OVs either before or after the season, and I’m told Alabama is full at safety recruiting right now and not looking to take any others at that position barring a change with their current commitments.

All of that is good news for Texas, but there are still those other visits the Longhorns may have to sweat out. LSU feels like it could be the biggest thorn in UT’s side in the long run with this one, but Texas is in the preferred spot having his early commitment in the fold. Williams does want to get back to Austin at least one more time before signing day, so look for the staff to try to get him in town for a game and then possibly again just before signing day to remind him of why he chose Texas in the first place. Playing well on the field will aid UT’s chances as well.

“I’m for sure going to be watching to see how they do,” Williams said.

2024 OL Daniel Cruz has an impressive early offer list, with schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Arkansas, Florida State and about a dozen others having extended scholarships.

At this point, Cruz is keeping an open mind and he hasn’t ruled any schools out. He plans on cutting things down after this upcoming season and is targeting a commitment next summer.

“So far right now, not really (any favorites) since it’s still a little too early. For sure this junior year, I’ll start taking it more serious, get down to a top 10, top five. Maybe after my junior year,” Cruz said. “I feel like next summer (I’ll commit). I’ve been thinking about graduating early, go to whatever school I’m going to commit to.”

Texas put an offer on the table back in June following a camp visit. The Longhorns should be a team that figure heavily into Cruz’s recruitment as works through the process.

“I like coach (Kyle) Flood. His coaching style when I went down there and got coached up by him was pretty good,” Cruz said. “Me and my O-line coach here (at North Richland Hills) talked him and what he likes to do. I need to talk to them more about where they’d want to put me.

“I feel like they’re up there. They’ve recently been doing great in recruiting. It’s in Texas, close to home. There’s a lot to watch this year and learn about them.”

(From Cole)

Texas high school football kicks off this week, and Orangebloods has a loaded slate of games on the schedule. Here’s a preview of the games where OB will be on-site.

Arlington Martin vs. Lake Travis

When
: Thursday, Aug. 25, 7:00 p.m.

Where: Choctaw Stadium (Arlington, TX) ESPNU

Who to watch: 5-star Arlington Martin defensive back Javien Toviano. The Longhorns are in hot pursuit of the talented defensive back out of the Metroplex. Toviano is a technically sound prospect that can play all over the secondary. Texas is battling Texas A&M, LSU, and others in his recruitment.

McKinney Boyd vs. Longview

When
: Friday, Aug. 26, 7:00 p.m.

Where: McKinney ISD Stadium (McKinney, TX)

Who to watch: Four-star Longview wide receiver Jalen Hale. Hale jumped back into the 6.0 tier in the latest Rivals rankings update. One of the top pass catchers in the state, Hale is down to Texas, Alabama, and Georgia in his recruitment with a decision coming soon.

McKinney vs. Temple

When
: Saturday, Aug. 27,

Where: McKinney ISD Stadium (McKinney, TX)

Who to watch: Four-star Temple athlete Mikal Harrison-Pilot has been on the Texas radar for a while now. Once looking like a Texas lean, things have cooled off on that front as Texas entered the picture for Jalen Hale in a big way. Still, MHP is a prospect that Texas fans need to continue being familiar with throughout the process.

2024 four-star McKinney RB Bryan Jackson recently included Texas in his top-10. 2024 four-star athlete Xavier Filsaime is also worth paying close attention to.

South Oak Cliff versus Duncanville

When
: Saturday, Aug. 27, 6:00 p.m.

Where: John Kincaide Stadium (Dallas, TX), ESPN2

Who to watch: Texas commits Malik Muhammad and Billy Walton headline this game, along with Texas A&M pledge Jayvon Thomas and 2024 Rivals100 prospect Jamyri Cauley, for South Oak Cliff. 2024 No. 1 prospect Colin Simmons and 2024 Rivals100 DB Ka’Davion Dotson are key Texas targets in next year’s cycle.

(From Keenan Womack)

OFFICIAL VISITS FOR FALL 2022

Below are the official visits for Texas basketball in the near future (within the next month). I listed all the players here and gave a bit of background info on their play styles. The 2023 class for Texas right now is completely empty, but they are in good position for some of the top players in the country.

September 2-4

On the weekend of September 3, Texas basketball will be hosting a trio of five-star talents in AJ Johnson, Ronald Holland, and Wesley Yates.

‘23 AJ Johnson is a crafty scorer that people have compared to Oklahoma City Thunder star Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. He has a close relationship with Houston Rockets star Jalen Green, by whom he is affectionately called, “Little Bro.” He has already taken an unofficial visit, but this will be an official on the 40 Acres.

‘23 Ronald Holland is an extremely high-motor player who is a menace on the boards and on the defensive end with a frame that allows him to play in switchable defenses, like the one Texas runs. Overall, his energy and athleticism make him a great team player on both sides of the ball. Holland is currently FC’d to Memphis.

‘23 Wesley Yates, who I FC’d to Texas earlier this week, is a high-volume shooter that can fill it up from across the floor. He’s a pure scorer who can shoot as well as drive the lane to get to the basket. His scoring numbers in high school are beyond impressive. His hometown, Beaumont, ties him to new Texas assistant coach hire, Brandon Chappell, who is also from the area. Should Yates pair up with AJ Johnson, Texas would have one of the best backcourts in college basketball in the 2023-224 season.

September 9-11

The next weekend, they’ll be hosting five-star center Baye Fall and four-star wing prospect Andrej Stojakovic.

‘23 Baye Fall, a center from Denver, Colorado, is a rim-runner who can protect the paint as well as get down the floor in transition. In this way, he’s a bit like Clint Capela or Mitchell Robinson. He’s the kind of big Texas has been lacking under Beard’s very short tenure, and could make an immediate impact in an area that has plagued the Longhorns. Fall is currently FC’d to Arkansas.

‘23 Andrej Stojakovic, a wing from Sacramento, California, is the son of NBA Champion Peja Stojakovic. Like his father, Andrej is a sniper from deep, and pairs elite deep-range shooting ability with nice athleticism and intelligent play both on and off the ball. Stojakovic is currently FC’d to UCLA.

September 16-18

The weekend of September 17, a top-three player in the country, 2024 shooting guard Tre Johnson of Lake Highlands (TX), will visit campus.

‘24 Tre Johnson is a future NBA star, showing off his tremendous ability by scoring 37 points against a Richardson team led by a top-10 2022 recruit Cason Wallace (Kentucky) and four-star Rylen Griffen (Alabama). Johnson has been a dominant force for Lake Highlands since he exploded onto the scene. He’s another elite scorer who can fill it up shooting or driving the ball, and adds great size for his position at 6’6. If Texas were able to land him, he’d be their second-highest rated recruit in program history, behind Kevin Durant (second) and just ahead of Mo Bamba (fourth) and Dillon Mitchell (also fourth).

1661476924587.png

Attachments

• 1661476600755.png
    1661476600755.png
    542.1 KB · Views: 8,959
  • 1661476924587.png
    1661476924587.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 5,338
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT