ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Card House War Room - Locker room notes; commit interview; visitors; Combine interviews; hoops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
5a6a9fc98ca00-Texas%20card%20house%20logo.jpg

Texas Card House is the official sponsor of this week's War Room.
Visit www.TexasCardHouse.com for more information.

(From Anwar)

From the moment Tom Herman was hired, most of the stories surrounding his relationship with the players have been negative.

There were players who did not know what to think after their initial “Come to Jesus” meeting with Herman. He inherited a team that was coming off back-to-back 5-7 seasons, and he was the new sheriff in town. Herman let everyone know things would be different under his watch, and it was a culture shock to a lot of people who loved former coach Charlie Strong. Sure, Herman knew those players had a strong bond with Strong, but that affection resulted in a 16-21 record with him, and an embarrassing loss against Kansas in 2016. Herman knew his team needed a coach more than a buddy.

We heard about the reluctance of players to buy in throughout the offseason because they were still figuring out the new staff. Things appeared to get better during training camp, and each player talked about being on the same page. They appeared to support Herman and his staff. However, after a season-opening loss against Maryland, there were some players who lost confidence and never recovered. Honestly, the players on offense were the main guys who said “here we go again” while the defensive players sucked it up and followed the lead of coordinator Todd Orlando. As players began to become more comfortable with the staff throughout the season, there appeared to be a shift during bowl game preparations. We began hearing less about disgruntled players and more about guys who were finally having fun. While Herman was criticized for allegedly mocking Missouri quarterback Drew Lock during the Texas Bowl, if you pay close attention to that video, it was actually a bonding moment between Herman and his players. It indicated the walls Texas players initially had up were down, and Herman was one of the guys.

The bond between players and coaches has been the biggest offseason story so far, according to multiple people I spoke with this week who are associated with the program.

From what I was told, the mood around the team is really positive because much of the negativity in the locker room is gone. That is not unexpected in a lot of cases heading into year two, and after speaking to multiple people about Herman from day one, I believe Herman knew he was going to be harder on everyone in year one.

Herman’s first year was about setting a standard and establishing expectations so the staff new it would require extra intensity and push everyone to the limit. The entire staff and players are settling in as we hit year two.

The biggest difference is Herman’s players know the expectations and are preparing and handling everything better. They know what drills are coming, what to expect from workouts and meetings and relationships with coaches are stronger. The relationships between coaches and players continue to grow. They realize they will be held accountable academically, athletically and socially. Everyone knows what the end goal is. Plus, they realize how close they were last year. From what I was told, Herman preaches the saying “everything matters," which means if you pay attention to every detail, it will be the difference in winning those close games and having a great season.

The good news for Longhorn fans is because of the trust that has been built since Herman has arrived, there are no longer daily hydration tests. You remember that pee chart I discovered, took a picture of, and it went viral? The chart that listed you as a “bad guy” if your urine was too brown? Well, nowadays, those tests are done randomly. The staff has made it clear though, if at any point during the random testing, more than 25 percent are not hydrated, they will go back to the daily test. No matter what it is, Herman has lightened up and is giving the team ownership and helping them hold each other accountable.

When I asked about the players, I was told, “All of these kids are pleasers.” From what I was told, Herman’s players want to do well and meetings, workouts, and everything has a very positive vibe to it because there are less frustrations when everyone knows the expectations. They have been through it before and there is a real comradery building among the staff and players because of that. They all clearly enjoy being around one another. The best way to describe was I was told is by calling it a circle – players do right and coaches are happy so coaches show they are happy and players continue to embrace that positivity and do the right things.

One of the mantras throughout the offseason has been "develop." So many of the players are returning and many will be on the field, and at times in the same position in close games again this year. The focus is to develop as players, teammates, and in every area of your life to get over the hump in those games. There is a big focus on developing player-to-player and player-to-coach relationships. That’s another thing you can see around the building and in public social media posts from players and coaches.

Many Texas fans have noticed the tweets by coaches this offseason. On the surface, it may appear to be a normal tweet, but let me refresh your memory and give you a deeper explanation.

Stan Drayton

Tim Beck

Corby Meekins

Herman broke the team up into smaller units, groups of seven or eight guys each that are a cross-section of the team and personality types – not by position groups. The 10 assistant coaches lead a different team and they are actually competing for points in everything from the wins and losses competitions in workouts to academics, community service, and other categories. Basically, it is a team-building thing, but like everything else, is built around competition. When it comes to Herman, you must know he is never going to eliminate competition. Herman’s goal is to have a competitive team that fights throughout the regular season, and considering he eliminated the blowout losses that previously plagued this team, his methods are working.

Winners are rewarded and losers are not. Again, that will never change under Herman. If you win the competition, you get good food, perks and opportunities, just like last season. If you lose, not so much.

From what I can tell, this might be the most harmonious time of Herman’s tenure.

We have heard a lot about potentially disgruntled players. However, after speaking to several people associated with the program, it appears to be non-existent. No, I am not suggesting Herman is partying with his players on 6th Street. Instead, it appears a breakthrough has occurred and players are extremely happy right now.

If you are looking for evidence of a shift, just think about the rumors of a mass exodus after the season, the attrition board posted on another website, and then compare it to reality. Six juniors left to enter the NFL draft. Three players (Jake McMillon, Terrell Cuney and Garrett Gray) have seemingly quit football and appear ready to focus on graduating and getting a job. Former receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps is currently the only player who was unhappy and left, which is far from a mass exodus.

Lastly, I was told this team is excited and cannot want for spring ball. There seems to be anticipation growing every day. Players have a lot more confidence right now than at this time last year. Everybody is on the same page.

No matter what was said about Herman last year, there are nothing positive things being said about him and the program this year.

I have heard a lot of good things about the offseason workouts going on right now.

The most important thing to know is players are doing much better during this year than in 2017. Since guys know what to expect, plus they only had a few weeks off after the bowl game, they have been doing better this year. Nothing is new to them, and I have heard nothing but positive things from guys associated with the program.

When I asked around about offseason workouts, the first name I heard was Gerald Wilbon. I was told Wilbon is more athletic, has lost weight, and he is looking like a guy who might heavily contribute this season. Chris Nelson is viewed as a guy who can replace Poona Ford, while Ta’Quon Graham is expected to play the three-technique this season. Wilbon has a chance to be a constant part of the rotation.

In addition, defensive end Charles Omenihu, linebacker Anthony Wheler, cornerback Kris Boyd and safety Brandon Jones have turned heads this offseason. From what I was told, Omenihu is a guy everyone in the program wants to become a leader, but they are waiting from him to take the next step. Meanwhile, Boyd has the same potential, and is viewed as a guy who might emerge into a team leader this year.

On the offensive side, the name I heard the most was Sam Ehlinger.

He is viewed as the offensive leader and a guy everybody gravitates to. When that person spoke about Ehlinger, they told me, “Texas needs more guys like him.”

In addition, I was told tight end Andrew Beck has done an unbelievable job this offseason. The main goal is to keep Beck healthy. If Beck can stay healthy, he is expected to have an impact this season.

(From Suchomel)

It was a fairly active week on the recruiting front for Texas, with the highlight coming in the way of a commitment from Huntsville defensive lineman T'Vondre Sweat.

We caught up with the Huntsville product to get some background on his commitment. Sweat did visit Texas in January and spoke highly of that visit when we talked to him, but the timing of his commitment on Wednesday seemed to come out of the blue. It turns out Sweat had been thinking about it for a little while.

“I felt like it’s my best choice. I felt good about it, so I went with it,” Sweat said. “I had this planned out. It was just a good day today. Today was a good day for me to be a Longhorn. It feels great, really. Get a lot of pressure off me.”

On Tuesday night, Sweat talked to his mother and told her he wanted to commit to Texas on Wednesday. He then spoke with Huntsville coach Rodney Southern and Southern advised him to sleep on it and said they’d talk about it on Wednesday. On Wednesday, his feelings hadn’t changed, so he put in a call to Tom Herman and Oscar Giles to deliver the news.

“I think they were surprised. They were yelling and hollering,” Sweat said.

TCU and Texas A&M were the two other schools Sweat was most strongly considering, but he said he’s now ready to close the book on the recruiting process.

“I’m 100 percent done,” he said.

Sweat said his mother was fully onboard with his decision, which helped him feel comfortable making such an early decision.

“I’ve been telling her I was ready and sticking with one school. UT is just in me, it’s my best choice,” Sweat said.

At 6-3 and 260 pounds, Sweat is already an impressive physical specimen. His size and potential growth over the next year give him some flexibility on where along the defensive line he could end up helping Texas.

“I can play anything,” Sweat said. “My ability, my height, my weight - I feel I’m blessed to have the ability I have. I have a drive in me. I’m trying to make it out, make my mom proud.”

Sweat is trying to make it back down to Austin soon for another visit. Look for him to hit campus sometime during UT’s spring season. He’ll also be at an Under Armour camp in Houston in April. OB will be on hand to get a good look at Sweat in action.

Grad transfer offensive lineman Calvin Anderson told OB this week that he’s still considering all four of his finalists – Texas, Michigan, Auburn and Oklahoma.

This one still feels like it will go UT’s way – there’s just too many reasons for Texas to win out. But Anderson is an extremely intelligent and mature young man, so if you’re thinking he’s not giving very thorough evaluations to all of his favorites, you’re mistaken.

When I talked to Anderson this week, I told the former Rice standout that my money was on Texas, but I wasn’t quite as confident as some others who think he’s pretty much locked in. He almost sounded offended at the idea that location would be such a huge factor in a decision that will only impact his actual location for seven months, but could ultimately impact the rest of his life.

“To that (assumptions Texas will win out), I would say to assume I would not give this process its due diligence and weigh all four options isn’t fair or accurate. These are four objectively great schools that could get me to my next level,” Anderson said. “I don’t think any of the four are locked in. I think each brings something different for me. Each has a different story that will be told. I don’t think it’s right, fair or at all logical that I would go anywhere that is close to me just because it’s close. That’s not what this boils down to for me. I’m making a lifetime decision that will hopefully launch me to the next level.”

Again, I think Texas wins out based on several factors – being a Westlake grad, friendship with Sam Ehlinger and Breckyn Hager, staying close to his family and girlfriend, exposure he can get from UT – but I don’t think this one is set in stone. We should have our answer very soon.

In case you missed it in the weekly football recruiting thread, a handful of prospects are expected to take unofficial visits to Texas this weekend, and they’re all players of significance.

Lewis Cine – Cedar Hill Trinity Christian – The Rivals100 moved to Texas from Massachusetts this week and will be in Austin on Saturday. That can’t be a bad sign.

David Gbenda – Katy Cinco Ranch – More on him in a bit, but he’ll return to Austin after hitting UT for a junior day. An offer is a very real possibility.

Tyler Johnson – Conroe Oak Ridge – Like Cine, another Rivals100 member that will make his way to campus. Big development for Texas since Johnson couldn’t make it in for a junior day.

DE Alec Bryant (2020) – Pearland Shadow Creek – A guy to watch in the 2020 class. Already has a couple offers and has some impressive sophomore film at 6-3, 220.

Katy Cinco Ranch linebacker David Gbenda isn’t a guy that’s going to blow you away with his meaurables at 6-0, 212 pounds, but when you watch his film it’s easy to see why Texas is showing so much interest. Gbenda was in Austin for a UT junior day and will return on Saturday for an unofficial visit.

Gbenda said the highlights of his junior day visit were getting to meet some of the “big names” in the program like Sam Ehlinger and Tom Herman, while also getting around other top prospects from around the state. Since the junior day event, he’s stayed in touch with the UT staff.

“Coach (Orlando), we started talking over the phone for a little bit. He said they were interested and said they want to see me again,” Gbenda said.

That conversation led to Gbenda setting up plans to come back to Austin this weekend. He holds offers from schools like Texas A&M, TCU, Missouri, Houston and Baylor. As for a possible Texas offer, one would have to think it’s a strong possibility but Gbenda isn’t coming to Austin expecting any guarantees.

“I don’t know. I’m not going to assume,” he said. “From what I’ve heard, they’re really interested in me. I’m just going to take it as I see it.”

Gbenda told OB this week that he doesn’t have any favorites, but does admit Texas really won over both him and his father during the junior day visit with the academic and athletic presentations. His father will accompany him again on this weekend’s visit.

Texas likes him as an inside linebacker, where his speed, mobility and ability knife through blockers make plays in the backfield make him an intriguing prospect.

Gbenda will visit TCU on Saturday before heading to Austin on Sunday. If Texas does offer, I expect the Longhorns will be major players, but Gbenda said he wants to take his time with the recruiting process.

“I’m going to take it slowly. Really, this is a decision I’m going to make for the next four years of my life. I’m going to take it slowly,” he said. “I’m focused on getting a good school that can help me expand on my education, get me places, and develop me as a football player also.”

Camden (AR) offensive lineman Stacey Wilkins raved about his Texas junior day visit a couple weekends ago and said he’d be back for an official visit. Wilkins picked up an offer during the junior day weekend. It was reported this week that Wilkins had a top two of Arkansas and Oklahoma, but when I connected with him midweek he backed off from that statement and said Texas is still very much in the picture.

“I didn’t really say top two but Texas is one of my top schools in my recruiting process,” Wilkins said. “I love the campus and coaches and what they have to offer as far as you getting through academic wise and network wise for life after college and NFL … to help you.”

As it was shortly after Texas offered, this one looks like a three-team race right now between Arkansas, OU and Texas. The Longhorns may have a slight amount of ground to make up, but I still expect Wilkins to make it back for a return visit so Texas will still be heavily involved here.

The on-again, off-again, on-again, off-again (and so on) commitment plans of Rivals100 ATH Jordan Whittington are on again, with Whittington planning to announce his decision on March 10.

How might this one unfold? Depends on who you ask, and when you ask. And we’ll see if that date actually does hold up. I’m going to stick to my guns here and go with Texas, but the truth is that no matter who Whittington picks on the 10th, this will likely be a recruitment with several twists and turns in the coming months.

(From Alex Dunlap)

On Thursday, both Connor Williams and Chris Warren met for the first time with the national NFL media, Warren from a small table in the corner of the ballroom and Williams to more fanfare at Podium 1 to large crowd. Here, I've transcribed the complete interviews of both players for the War Room, Both players talked about their draft processes and both also had a few interesting Longhorn and Tom Herman-related nuggets mixed in.

Chris Warren

On why he transferred

I love Austin, I love UT and it's a great place. A lot of things can happen and there was a lot of downtime, so, I just figured it was the best thing to do at the time.

Were they going to move you to TE?

Not sure, you're going to have to talk to them about that, I'm not inclined to answer.

Things would be much different if no injury in 2016 leading to D'Onta's big season?

Yeah, I believe the view of me could be a lot different, but, again, I can't control that. It's in the past anyways. I'm trying to move forward now and trying to show I can build the same production.

What kind of back is an NFL team getting in you?

They're getting a one-cut, downhill runner. I'm good at breaking tackles, it's what I've done most of my career, but, someone who's going to put their nose into the teeth of the defense.

Differences your dad has told you between football then and now

He says that football hasn't really changed, it's still the same but they just pass a little bit more. That's all he's really talked about because they did pass a lot back in the day, but he said nowadays it's really the defenses haven't changed a lot it's really just how aggressive people are with passing the ball more."

What teams have you met with

I've met with some teams, and I plan on meeting with some more, or the same teams that have already come up to me, but I plan on taking this all in and I can't complain regardless of what's been going on and I'm really appreciative of being here and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the week.

First evident difference of culture difference Herman vs. Strong

They're both really big on discipline, but I think Coach Herman was more assertive in holding his kids accountable.

More assertive?

It was from the get-go, it was about putting his foot down and making sure certain rules were set and that you were going to follow the rules. The winner/losers thing, the water-bottle meetings, it's not about being done but about making sure you're following the rules to be part of the culture.

Anything you regret from UT?

Not anything that was out of my control, because it was out of my control and I can't change it. But, everything that I could control? I'm pretty good with what happened and I've learned from what I did wrong, so I wouldn't change anything.

Consider yourself under the radar?

No, I believe that people think the way think. They're going to think about me the way they think about me. If I'm under the radar it's because of something they don't like about me so it's just ... it is what it is.

Thought about what it would be like had he chosen Washington over Texas?

Yeah, I have. I have thought about it and I mean, they made the playoff my first year. You look at it and you're like 'oh man,' but we don't know if they would have made the playoff if I had been there anyways, I mean, yea I ... I've thought about other things like that, though.

What are you trying to show the scouts this week?

Just my mobility, my versatility, that I can play at a comfortable weight and basically just play the position that I'm at.

Has it been a dream to come to combine?

I didn't think much about the combine when I was younger, but as I've gotten older I've thought a lot more about it and my passion for everything surrounding football has grown more, but it's really surreal and I'm grateful for every opportunity.

Current weight vs. playing weight last year?

246 right now, when I was at Texas I was about 250.

Better weight now?

I think so, move just a little bit more and just a little faster. Every little bit counts in the NFL - every thought, every movement, all of it.

Do you want to show you are a running back?

Yes.

What do you expect to run?

Not sure, we'll see on Friday.

Full workout?

Yes.

Thoughts on coaches moving him to TE at the end of 2017

I was very confused by it, but I didn't question it because they said it was going to help us win ball games and that's really what I'm all about and if it helped us win - which, it did help us win some games - then, I can't be mad about it.

Confused? Did it come out of the blue?

It did, but like I said, they said it was to help us win ball games, so I can't be mad about it.

What if an NFL team wants you to play TE?

I'd say I'm willing to play but I do believe that I can play running back and that's what I want to be.

Is that why you attempted to transfer?

It added to it, but it wasn't the main reason.

Do teams say they like you at RB?

They like my skill set. The teams that have talked to me about playing running back - and I agree with them personally.

RB in the NFL with similar game?

Not that I pattern my game after, but I do believe that backs, historically big backs like Eddie Lacy, Legarrette Blount, bigger guys. They have plenty of success and are still out there.

----

Connor Williams

How's the draft process

It's going well, everything it lived up to be.

Weight?

I weighed in at 297, I played the previous year at 315, before that, 305. I feel better at 305 so I'm looking for the range of 300 to 305 I guess I lost a pound or two with the travel.

Is that where teams want you weight-wise?

Haven't heard anything specific, just where I feel best at.

Are you an NFL tackle or guard?

I personally feel like I'm a tackle but I'm willing to play anywhere a team needs me.

Ever played interior OL?

No sir.

Did the 2017 injury give you your first thoughts about leaving for the NFL?

Once the injury hit, it was about day-in and day-out recovery and getting back to my full self. Getting back to help the team.

Never thought about future beyond UT?

No sir.

You think you can play tackle at 305 in the NFL?

Yes sir I firmly believe that and of course over the years, gain clean weight.

Seems like last summer you were a lock for Top 10, thoughts?

Not too much, it's not anything in my control. It's me performing my best and I don't need to pay any attention to the outsides.

Texas hasn't had a first-round pick since 2006 (not true - Kenny Vaccaro, dumbass) what would it mean to be first since then?

It would be amazing to be able to represent for the state of Texas and the University like that.

Changes with Tom Herman coming in?

It was a big transition year. It was a big building block of establishing a culture there at the University and I believe they are on the right page on building a winning program.

What was it like having different OL coaches each year?

Also 3 OCs, so, every year it was a different scheme, different way of doing things. It's not the most ideal situation, but it's about staying open-minded and it's adversity hitting and you just have to learn the new program and be open minded about the new coach comes in.

Will that help you in the NFL?

Yes sir I believe so, I feel like I've seen three whole different offenses and three different ways of thinking and you can take approaches from each one and you can carry it with you.

Mindset while hurt?

After getting a second opinion from Dr. Andrews it was established that I didn't need surgery, the only reason for a surgery would maybe be the torn meniscus, which I had had a torn meniscus in high school and it never gave me any issue so I elected not to have any surgery. I was given a timeframe of 8-10, came back in seven. It was all about getting back to play.

Why did you come back, many would have just given up and moved to NFL?

If that was my last play at the University of Texas, it wouldn't have felt complete.

What ended up being your last play?

Uh, Texas Tech.

How'd you play when you knew it was the end?

I did not know it was the end at that time.

What goes into the decision to skip bowl?

I talked to many trusted people that were close to me and after talking with my team and people I trusted, I felt like I was informed enough to ultimately chase my dream which is playing in the NFL.

Teammates supportive of decision?

Yes sir I talked to them before and I talked to many others before the decision to get their standpoint.

Can Herman turn around the Longhorns?

I believe so, I believe he is instilling a strong culture that is going to last within the program and I feel like the team is on the uprise.

How do you describe your best attributes as a tackle?

I feel like I move very well. I instill my will. I'm a finisher and I go to the whistle at the same time I balance that with athleticism and 100% effort and you get somewhere with that.

Favorite run-concept to block?

Like you said, I've run everything I've called it every combination block, everything. It's based on the team's success and the offense's success so if I block this well it doesn't matter because we need a first down. It matters about the offensive success.

How important to keep hands inside?

That's where you're taught in Day 1 of an OL room, it's about the punch, it's about keeping your hands inside and at the end of the day, you win with your hands.

Area could improve the most?

Technique is something you can always improve on, that's what separates the greats.

Difference in the huddle between Shane Buechele and Sam Ehlinger?

They both have great talents and their own way about the game and I respect both of them and I love playing with both of them.

But is there any difference between the two in how they command a huddle, etc.?

Not too much, it's just their character and the way they lead.

Lots of close losses in close games at Texas

Like I say, my three years at Texas didn't go as planned. Does that mean if I could go back, that I would go to another school? Absolutely not, I love Texas and I'm a die-hard Longhorn for life. Yes, we lost games by field goals in games we shouldn't have lost and it's very disappointing but just seeing it's all there and the ability is there.

Thoughts on Derek Kerstetter

He's young and he's eager. He's in the film room ready to learn. He pulls me from after practice when I'm ready to go shower and he says 'hey I need to work on this, can you show me this, this and this' -- just things he didn't do well in the game and I say let's go for it. He's eager to learn.

Thoughts on Chris Warren

He's a big running back but he's so rocked up. He's a freak athlete.

How hard would it be to make the transition to guard?

It's not too hard, you play beside a guard your whole life. You know the combination you work with them and you watch them in the drills, it's not too difficult.

Approach to pass-rushers?

Pass-pro's a different game, it's like a puzzle - it's a mind game. It's analyzing. My approach is patience and technique.

Best technique in handling a bull rush vs. a speed rush?

Of course coaches want you to do them differently and different techniques.

Herman a players coach, what impact does new locker room, etc. and that culture have?

It makes you excited. It makes you excited to wake up in the morning and go compete. I think it's a great way of doing things and I think it's a great culture he's instilling.

Will we see Patrick Vahe here next year?

I believe so. Vahe's like Derek (Kerstetter), he's eager, he's looking to improve every day. I played next to him for three years, he's one of my best friends so I definitely believe so.

Toughest pass-rusher played against?

Emmanuel (Ogbah) was good for Oklahoma State my freshman year.

Where do you rank the Kansas loss on the road in losses you've faced?

It was tough. Looking back now, that was the down point of our program and I think it's on an upward slope now.

(From McComas)

A note on 2018 Webster Groves (Webster Groves, Missouri) point guard Courtney Ramey:

From what I heard, Ramey and his family followed Texas’s game against Oklahoma State last Saturday very closely, and it seems the win by the Longhorns helped their cause as it relates to Ramey’s recruiting. Texas and Oklahoma State are the only two schools Ramey has taken official visits to.

Five-star point guard Ashton Hagans decommitting from Georgia and then reclassifying into the 2018 class helps Texas too because it puts another top point guard on the market that could attract some of the programs that are trying to land Ramey. (McComas)

During Monday’s telecast of Texas’s game at Kansas, ESPN sideline reporter Holly Rowe reported on Mo Bamba’s status, and that he stayed back in Austin receiving treatment (toe sprain) rather than travel to Kansas. Every day of possible treatment right now for Bamba is important, and Rowe’s report implied that the timetable for an expected return is the Big 12 Tournament.

From what we’ve heard, the chances of Bamba returning to action for Saturday’s extremely important game versus West Virginia are low, which matches Rowe’s report earlier this week. We’re still about 36 hours from tip-off, so it’s possible Bamba could wake up Friday or Saturday and suddenly feel better. However, the more likely scenario is Texas has to again play without him. Cross your fingers and pray to the hoops god in charge of toe injuries, Texas fans.

When asked about the severity of the injury and what the toe sprain was specifically, Smart stated that it was a sprain on the toe that wasn’t in the area of turf toe, but has a similar effect – from a pain and discomfort standpoint – as turf toe. This is what Smart told reporters in Kansas after Monday’s game about Bamba:

The more I listen to Texas head coach David Pierce, the more I think he’s going to push hard for a natural grass surface at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in the future.

Reading between the lines, it seems Pierce is frustrated with how slow the playing surface is at Texas (he talked often in the past about trying to speed up the way the turf plays; this year, it appears to be playing the same), and based on some recent comments, I believe he thinks it has a potential negative impact on his team when it goes on the road.

For example, look at this quote from Wednesday when asked what he learned about his team following the series at No. 22 LSU.

“Honestly, what we really learned is we’re a better offense than most people think and we’re not as good defensively and pitching as most people give us credit for,” the Texas head coach said. “We get a little nullified when we’re here (UFCU Disch-Falk Field) in all three categories (pitching and defense are inflated at home; hitting is worse). I think we’re solid, but the experience of having to play in that environment and see how some young guys and new guys adjust to just the true atmosphere of playing on the road against a good, quality SEC team that played in Omaha last year was a good test for us. It was not only a test; it gave us the ability to go out and figure out who we are. And then, once our guys kind of caught their breath and relaxed and played you could really see a difference in their approach and confidence building.

“I think we build off of that; understanding adaptability of the type of day we’re playing; understanding the type of facility we’re at if it’s fast… it doesn’t matter if it’s turf or grass if it’s fast or slow. When you have that awareness of going through that process, it’s part of your preparation. We had to learn some things about how to prepare and being in that environment was good for us.”

Texas surprisingly struggled defensively at LSU, including a couple of one-hoppers or ground balls that were fairly easy plays to make. Pierce made it a point to mention the impact of his home park and playing surfaces, and I think it represented his frustration with how slow the turf plays at Texas. From what I’ve heard, there are no ongoing plans, at this moment, to make the switch in the future. However, I wouldn’t rule it out, and I think Pierce could push for the change.

Recently, a report surfaced that Texas would move to a grass surface at Darrel K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. This was Del Conte’s response:

So, it seems he would be in favor of a natural surface if the plans/money work. For those of you that wonder why Texas doesn’t have grass now, the cost of upkeep for a grass field is much higher than a turf surface, especially for a program that hosts high school baseball and a ton of camps during the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News