ADVERTISEMENT

Texas handles Oklahoma State (We're seeing progress...)

WesMillerOB

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2015
After Texas beat Texas Tech like a drum in Lubbock, the Horns hosted Oklahoma State for what felt like a must-win game in terms of tournament implications.

All they did, was take care of business by a score of 81-65.

This game summed up in a GIF...

stop it big brother GIF by Bellator

I know I know....there were stints in this game where it felt like the Cowboys were going to potentially get out of Dodge, but the Horns never REALLY relinquished control of the game. Basketball is a game of runs, and every time it felt like the Pokes landed a haymaker, Texas came right back with some haymakers of their own.

This marks the second straight game where Texas got an absolutely spectacular contribution from their bench. The Weaver, Cunningham, Shedrick trio combined for 32 points and 17 rebounds (10 of which were offensive). If Texas gets this kind of game from it's bench on a night-in, night-out basis they can compete with anybody in the country...ESPECIALLY if Disu and Abmas keep playing at a high level. They combined for 32 points, and went 5-12 from three. I think Texas began forcing the ball a little too much to Disu towards the end of the first half, but overall it was yet another fantastic performance for the soon-to-be all conference forward.

Regardless of some of the nail biting moments, you cannot deny that this team is showing something that is paramount now that we are in March...that is progress. The Horns are beginning to play their best basketball down the stretch of conference play, and are looking like a team that you don't want to see early in the conference/NCAA tournament.

Now I'll be honest...I'm pleasantly surprised.

After the Horns got taken to the woodshed at the Phog, I thought that we were looking at a total collapse headed down the stretch. As I dove deeper into the analytics and matchups when the Horns were headed to Lubbock, I thought that Texas could steal one, which could act as a catalyst moving towards the most important basketball that they would play this season. I predicted Texas to win a close one, and all Texas did was take that prediction and tell me to shove it up my ass. Going to Lubbock and beating the Red Raiders in that fashion, only to turn around and beat Oklahoma State by double digits shows that this team is improving.

Over the last two games, Texas has out rebounded their opponents by a total of 25(!). Great job by Rodney Terry and the coaching staff to put much more of an emphasis on getting bodies on bodies when shots go up, because the Longhorns look like they are playing with more energy, and more effort when it comes to getting on the glass.

Also, holy COW the Longhorns are playing phenomenal defense. There is better communication, quicker help side rotations, and are playing aggressive. I love it when I see teams pressuring primary ball handlers all the way up the floor, and I'll be honest...I haven't seen an on-ball defender do a better job than Demarcus Holland in a long time....but boy Tyrese Hunter is close. He looks like a guy that is starting to take a lot more pride in his defense. You could tell that his confidence was waning after not being a factor in several game offensively, and there was a trickle down effect into how he was playing defense. Not anymore. I believe how he's playing defensively has made him play bit more loose offensively and with more confidence. Even though he only finished with 9 points yesterday, all of his buckets seem to come at crucial points in the game whether that was to halt an Oklahoma State run, or getting a score at the end of the shot clock.

Speaking of energy, effort, defense, etc...let's have a chat about Chendall Weaver. He embodies everything a coach could want in a basketball player.

He. Plays. His. Ass. Off.

In my opinion he's the best rebounding guard in the country. Like Hunter, the way he plays on the defensive end is paying bigger dividends in terms of scoring the basketball. He finished yesterday with 16 points, 4 rebounds including 2 offensive, a steal, all in 22 minutes. He's a player who's performance has been just as important as anybody else on the team through this little spurt of success. Whenever he's on the floor, as a viewer it feels like he impacts every possession. He also punched this exclamation mark of a putback dunk as Texas started to cruise.

Keep it up Chendall.

Texas posted back to back games with their best, and most complete performances of the season when it mattered most. That's no small feat.

Texas v Oklahoma State Box Score

Next up for the Horns is a matchup with #15 (for now) Baylor, who just got done beating Kansas in fairly dominating fashion. I know the score was closer than how the game played out, but make no mistake...Baylor wasn't going to lose that game. Tip off will be on Monday at 8PM CT on ESPN, and the Longhorns are going to have to play their best basketball of the season to get out of Waco with a win. Regardless, the Horns just need to keep showing progress.

AROUND THE WORLD:
Houston survives @ Oklahoma and wins by 2 behind Shead's game winner.

Baylor takes down Kansas in Waco, 82-74 beind Rayj Dennis' 19 points and 10 assists.

Purdue takes down Michigan State 80-74 to clinch their share of a second straight Big 10 title, behind Zach Edey's 32 point performance.

Rick Barnes and the Vols take down Alabama in Tuscaloosa 81-74.

p.s. Spectrum internet sucks.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News