ADVERTISEMENT

Texas lands commitment from 2021 TE Lake McRee (story)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
It’s shaping up to be a potentially big recruiting day for the Texas Longhorns.

While Texas fans are watching 2020 LB Prince Dorbah’s scheduled noon announcement closely, the Longhorns slipped in another commitment, with 2021 TE Lake McRee announcing on Tuesday morning that he had committed to Texas.

A standout for Lake Travis – and a teammate of Texas quarterback commitment Hudson Card – McRee informed the Texas coaching staff of his decision on Monday night before making an official announcement on Tuesday.

A 6-5, 215-pounder, McRee has been on the Texas campus a few times since picking up a UT offer earlier this year. When Texas first offered, McRee admitted he was on cloud nine.

“Just growing up a fan of the school, going to all the games as a kid, it was just crazy,” McRee said. “It didn’t feel real, almost a surreal moment.”

A well-rounded tight end prospect, McRee caught 17 passes for 274 yards and two touchdowns as a sophomore in 2019. He’s a better receiver than blocker at this point in his career, but with a frame that should fill out nicely over the next few years, McRee should develop into a true dual-threat tight end.

“I would say my strength is definitely in one on one jump balls, that I can go up and get it. I’m working on my strength, but I think my technique for blocking is pretty good,” McRee said. “If I had to work on one thing, I’d say cleaning up my routes, so I can open up the field some.”

A three-star prospect, McRee said he has felt at home when he’s taken visits to Texas, including a stop by campus during UT’s junior day weekend.

“I just like all the coaching staff. They all reached out to me. Even when I went for a junior day they made it feel like home, even before they offered,” McRee said.

McRee becomes the Longhorns’ second commitment in the 2021 class, joining receiver Quay Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News