ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting Heating Up With Elite California ... Punter/Safety ???

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
As the Texas coaching staff makes its national recruiting rounds in what can only be described as a dizzying pace - for fans and analysts alike - the latest stop for RBs coach Tommie Robinson is Los Alamitos, Ca. to visit a punter.

Los Alamitos has numerous prospects with Division I regional interest but the player Texas was there to see was the team's best prospect - 2015 punter who isn't the "retiring type") told Orangebloods that Texas has been calling for the better part of a month to get the thing set up and Robinson was clearly there to see the punter. Blake Johnson, Chris Sailer's No. 1 punting prospect of the 2015 class.

If you are unaware of Chris Sailer, he is the preeminent kicking trainer in the competitive world today. Every time there is a highly touted punter or kicker spoken about, most evaluators' first thought is usually- "is he a Sailer guy?" Brian Anger, Jeff Locke, even a name that will bring a smile to the faces of Longhorn and Raven nation alike in Justin Tucker. Sailer is the George Whitfield of kickers.

Coach Barnes says Johnson is also one of the most athletic linebackers he's coached in his 44 years. He's clearly had a number of prospects come through during his time and said ultimately, Johnson would spin back to safety at the D-1 level and be a hard-hitter in the box ... but he won't have to.

"His punting is where his bread is buttered," Coach Barnes said.

"What I was told is that they were having (Johnson) come to (Texas kicking camp) and if they all liked him, they were going to offer him right there."

I asked what his thoughts were about where Texas would stand should they offer, and he said he thought Johnson would likely commit to the Longhorns.

"I think he'd go out there," Coach Barnes said, "He likes Texas and he's their kind of player."

And Coach Barnes would know. He was Chris Kluwe's head coach. As many know, Kluwe is the outspoken former punter of the Vikings and eight-year NFL veteran who has not "retired" as much from the NFL as he's been black-balled - and Kluwe will be the first to tell you all about it. Coach Barnes says that Blake Johnson is on the same level or possibly better than Kluwe as a prospect.

Clearly sidetracked, I asked if Coach Barnes if Kluwe was as outspoken in high school as he is now.

"You know, he wasn't - what I'll always remember about Chris - he read a book a day." Coach said, "I don't know how he did it - or how he read so fast or found time - but he read a book a day. That's what I'll always remember. I saw him recently and asked, 'do you still read a book a day?' and he said, 'yea, I still do.'"

The things you learn just passing through the day ...

This post was edited on 5/20 9:50 PM by Alex Dunlap

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News