ADVERTISEMENT

Thank You UT61

TexasTrey

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Allen, TX
This is bit of a cathartic post so please do not crucify me for making it. I wanted to do this as tribute to my father so he could read it. I feel for all those that do it after there is a tragedy and I wanted to get ahead of that. He turns 86 today and Orangebloods is his one and only go to social media network. We talk about it every day and all the things you can learn about, laugh about, and even shed a tear about from time to time by reading Orangebloods.

I am a very lucking man. I am 61 years old and both of my parents are still alive. Some of you have met my dad at events through the years, he is UT61.

He is the one that taught me to love the Longhorns and everything Texas. Even though I was born in Big Spring, we never lived in Texas very long. We moved over 14 times when I was growing up and most of those locations were outside of Texas.

But the one thing that remained constant was the Longhorns. I remember watching Street to Peschel as an 8 year old as Texas beat Arkansas and the whole family going crazy.

I remember crying when Freddie entered the Cottom Bowl on that January morning.

I remember watching Earl run wild.

I remember being in the Stadium when we were all yelling "Run Ricky Run" as he broke the rushing record against A&M. And so many other highs and lows watching and rooting for the Horns.

My dad and I have seen the Longhorns win a National Championship in football in the Rose Bowl. We have seen them win a National Championship in baseball in Omaha. And we watched them lose in a Final Four in New Orleans. And we have watched many other games in person and on TV over the years.

My dad got his MBA at Texas in 1961 and I got mine in 1992. And my daughter graduated with an Honors business degree from McCombs in 2016.

But not only did my dad teach me to love the Longhorns, he taught me to be a good man, to love the Lord, and to love my family. I could never thank you enough for that Dad.

So as you celebrate your 86 birthday, know that our are very loved and appreciated and I am glad I was able to be with you today.

Happy Birthday

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News