ADVERTISEMENT

the official D Line hire thread

madcow12

Jan 13, 2010
good god, the other ones are clogged with trolls.

from shaggy.

Bobby Burton is saying that it's Clint Hurtt that has been offered the DL job, at the same time he's also a saying:

"Brick Haley is in play. Don't know if he's been offered but he's at least been contacted by someone close to Strong."

Originally posted by madcow12:

from shaggy.

Bobby Burton is saying that it's Clint Hurtt that has been offered the DL job, at the same time he's also a saying:

"
Brick Haley is in play. Don't know if he's been offered but he's at least been contacted by someone close to Strong."

Interesting I see hurtt is with the bears right now and he has coached with strong so I'm guessing if the money is right we will get him. But Haley doesn't sound to bad either
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I also found this tidbit. I would be surprised if Clint comes back to the college football.

spurs poster :

Pretty sure he can coach, just can't recruit until October, unless Texas can make a case to the ncaa as to why his penalty shouldn't follow him here.

2. Once the NCAA put a black mark on Louisville assistant Clint Hurtt dating to his days at Miami and the Nevin Shapiro case, it was a matter of time before Hurtt shifted his career to the pro game. My colleague Brett McMurphy reported that Hurtt is going to the Chicago Bears. It was clear that Texas wasn't going to welcome his arrival with Charlie Strong. History has shown that NFL teams don't care about NCAA sanctions. The pro game has a lot fewer recruiting rules.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/tag/_/name/clint-hurtt
This post was edited on 2/6 4:48 PM by madcow12

I think he has an ncaa show cause attached to him. We don't need that negative attention. I don't know about the rest of you, no disrespect to him, but we don't do that at Texas. We don't need ncaa violators on campus. Coaches or players.

Originally posted by madcow12:

from shaggy.

"Brick Haley is in play. Don't know if he's been offered but he's at least been contacted by someone close to Strong."
Haley is the only option. Higdon doesn't think Hurtt is an option until October.

Haley would take away most of the sting of the loss of Rumph, and would likely please our D-line recruits as well.

Hook 'em

I would have mentioned Hurtt myself previously, but I didn't because I haven't viewed him as a plausible option given both the show-cause element, as well as the fact that John Fox retained him on the Bears staff and 'promoted' him to a full position coach (OLB's; had previously been Asst. DL coach). But he's a great DL coach, an ace recruiter, and obviously was on Strong's staff at UL. Besides he and Haley, two other names I'd love to see considered are Kevin Patrick and Nick Holt. Clemson's Marion Hobby would be great as well, but he holds a co-DC title for the Tigers, which could preclude things.

Well, I'd like to get Brick, but if not him, my second choice would be Oscar Giles.

Originally posted by Metcalf #2:
Well, I'd like to get Brick, but if not him, my second choice would be Oscar Giles.

Ditto on Brick, and I always felt that Giles was a very underrated coach while he was here, so I thought about him too. That said, he was a middling recruiter (at best), and there's something to be said for some fresh blood/perspective with our DL. Not sure that would be a very harmonious situation either, considering that Strong didn't retain Giles here in the first place. I don't see that happening at all, but I do agree that Giles was/is a very solid coach. I wish him well in his new role at UH.

I think too much is made of the recruiting side. With Charlie Strong, this defense is going to be sick, and will recruit for itself. Just my opinion.

I think too much is made of the recruiting side. With Charlie Strong, this defense is going to be sick, and will recruit for itself. Just my opinion.
I hear you, but I get the sense that Strong has an affinity (now more than ever) for assistants who can also recruit at a high level.....which is consistent with his most recent mentor, Urban Meyer.

Yeah, and that's why I'm not worried at all. strong will get somebody he's comfortable with, and that's more than enough for me.

I agree, no concerns here. I thought the Norvell hire was a terrific one, and I love the outside-the-box thinking of the (potential) Joey McGuire hire.....or even Shane Beamer for that matter. I fully expect a very strong DL hire.

Maybe you guys could came after another one of our reject coaches, like you did our WR coach.

I keed. I keed!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It's not our fault that you couldn't properly utilize Norvell's talents. At least Rumph was poached due to his successes and not fired due to his failures a la Heupel.

Originally posted by Steve-O-Matic:

It's not our fault that you couldn't properly utilize Norvell's talents. At least Rumph was poached due to his successes and not fired due to his failures a la Heupel.
Just a fun, playful jab. Am just now reading about it on the other threads.

Golly, I don't know guys.....

Brick-3.jpg

Steve-O-Matic posted on 2/6/2015...

I agree, no concerns here. I thought the Norvell hire was a terrific one, and I love the outside-the-box thinking of the (potential) Joey McGuire hire.....or even Shane Beamer for that matter. I fully expect a very strong DL hire.

Shane Beamer would be an excellent hire. He has been around coaching his entire life and knows special teams very well. He is also a great recruiter at VT. VT is known for coaching them up.

The Brick Haley NFL Draft Pipeline

2010 - Al Woods (Rd. 4)
2011 - Drake Nevis (Rd. 3), Pep Levingston (Rd. 7)
2012 - Michael Brockers (Rd. 1)
2013 - Barkevious Mingo (Rd. 1), Bennie Logan (Rd. 3), Sam Montgomery (Rd. 3), Lavar Edwards (Rd. 5)
2014 - Ego Ferguson (Rd. 2)

Funny how the morons on Soonerscoop are now saying Charlie knew for over a week that Rumph was leaving. Of course they can't supply a link or quote. Pulling stuff outta their arses.

Since when is losing a position coach such a big deal? Especially one that's only been on staff for a year. Charlie and Bedford run this defense. We know it. Players know it.

The idea that Florida would let a HC with deep ties in Florida and signed 5 kids from the state know ahead of NSD that their DL coach is leaving is absurd.

Why oh why can't it be 20 years ago and we could re-hire "sexy" Rex Norris? One of the best dline coaches ever. He lives in horse shoe bay. I know he's 75, but.......

Originally posted by Longyac:
The idea that Florida would let a HC with deep ties in Florida and signed 5 kids from the state know ahead of NSD that their DL coach is leaving is absurd.
I see no haters have responded to this logic (of course). Guess that got in the way of their hopes and wishes that UT and Strong are "shady".
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT