ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday Pulpit (via Loewy Law Firm): NFL Draft proves Texas is SEC-ready

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Loewy-Orangebloods-Banner-20240131-large.jpg

Adam Loewy is one of the top personal injury lawyers in Austin. Adam is a proud graduate of the University of Texas School of Law and started his law firm in 2005. Adam helps people who have been injured in car crashes, slip and falls, dog bites, and other assorted ways. He is actively involved in every case he handles and is always available to talk or text. If you or a loved one has been injured, call the Loewy Law Firm today at (512) 280-0800.

There have been few reasons to celebrate the Longhorn draft in recent years. It seems like every post-draft story was like an obituary. We talked about how Texas failed in the draft. There were discussions about how the draft would hurt recruiting. And I would spend the day pointing out how other programs such as TCU, Baylor, and Oklahoma State developed their 3-star recruits into NFL players better than Texas developed its 4-star guys.

More importantly, the draft was an annual reminder that Texas did not belong in the SEC conversation. If the NFL Draft was a club, the SEC had a VIP section with several bottles of champagne on ice in front of them. Meanwhile, Texas was standing in a line outside of the club, hoping to get in at some point - but usually denied by the bouncer at the door. Texas wanted to be known as a program that developed NFL talent like Alabama, Georgia, and LSU. However, the results proved Texas did not deserve to be in that exclusive club.

That is one reason why many college football observers have questioned if Texas will have success in the SEC. The Longhorns were not producing NFL talent to compete in that conference. Texas did not win Big 12 titles. Would Texas simply be Texas A&M 2.0, a program that could only brag about being in the SEC without achieving its own success?

This year’s NFL Draft has given Steve Sarkisian’s Longhorns a table with the elite programs in college football.

Sarkisian has answered the question.

Texas is SEC-ready.

“What an incredible three days it was following our guys and a historic NFL Draft for our program. I couldn’t be more excited for this group and their opportunity as they head into the NFL,” Sarkisian said in a statement provided by Texas. “The fact that there are 11 NFL draft picks we’re talking about who all had a significant impact on our team speaks volumes for where we are as a program. When we came here, as much as we committed to developing these guys as players, we also were focused on developing them as men and wanted to create a culture that can last a long, long time.

“One thing I always reference about this group, they didn’t just buy into our culture, they took this culture and elevated it. These guys were incredible leaders, they were great players, they worked extremely hard, and they bought into the program. And one of the really cool parts is so many of them are great examples of patience and perseverance. I think there’s a lot of value in perseverance, and as a coaching staff, we really try to instill that in our players. These guys had faith in the process, earned everything they got, and are reaping the benefits. It’s a group that put their trust into their coaches, worked extremely hard, and in the end, we’re talking about a bunch of guys who we relied on at the most critical moments in games. They played their best when their best was needed, and that’s something I’ll forever be grateful for.”

In the realm of collegiate talent funneling into the NFL, there was a buzz surrounding whether Michigan could rival Georgia's stronghold on the record for most NFL Draft picks in a single year. Despite boasting an impressive roster bound for training camps, the Wolverines fell shy with a final tally of 13 picks, leaving them two short of the Bulldogs' 2022 record. Nonetheless, Michigan clinched the title for most draft picks overall, leading a distinguished pack that included the likes of Texas (11), Alabama (10), Florida State (10), and Washington (10).

Here are the draft results (CBSSports.com):

2024 NFL Draft picks by conference
·SEC -- 59
·Pac-12 -- 43
·Big Ten -- 42
·ACC -- 41
·Big 12 -- 31
·Independent -- 8
·Sun Belt -- 6
·American -- 5
·Conference USA -- 3
·Mountain West -- 2
·MAC -- 2

2024 NFL Draft pick by school
·Michigan -- 13
·Texas -- 11
·Alabama -- 10
·Florida State -- 10
·Washington -- 10
·Oregon -- 8
·Georgia -- 8
·Penn State -- 8
·Notre Dame -- 7
·USC -- 7
·Missouri -- 6
·LSU -- 6
·Clemson -- 6
·Utah -- 5
·Auburn -- 5
·Illinois, Iowa, Louisville, Kentucky, Ohio State, Miami, South Carolina, Texas A&M -- 4
·Arizona, Duke, Kansas State, Mississippi State, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon State, Pitt, TCU, Tennessee, Wake Forest, Washington State -- 3
·Arkansas, Boston College, Kansas, Marshall, Maryland, NC State, Purdue, South Dakota State, Texas Tech, Troy, Tulane, UCF, UCLA, UTEP, Wisconsin -- 2

FYI, the Big 12 gets to claim Texas’ success this year.

However, the league’s draft number would only be 21 without Texas.

Texas made history with its 11 NFL Draft selections, marking a high point for the program within the seven-round era. This feat arrives on the heels of a remarkable season where the Longhorns clinched their first Big 12 title since 2009 and ventured into uncharted territory with their inaugural College Football Playoff appearance.

Under Sarkisian, Texas witnessed a formidable draft presence, boasting two first-rounders in Byron Murphy and Xavier Worthy, followed by three second-round selections in T'Vondre Sweat, Jonathon Brooks, and AD Mitchell.

The Longhorns then showcased their depth with six more selections on Day 3, including talents like tight end JT Sanders (Round 4 to the Panthers), offensive lineman Christian Jones (Round 5 to the Cardinals), running back Keilan Robinson (Round 5 to the Jaguars), linebacker Jaylan Ford (Round 5 to the Saints), defensive back Ryan Watts (Round 6 to the Steelers), and wideout Jordan Whittington (Round 6 to the Rams).

“Getting 11 guys drafted — the second-most of any school nationally — is huge for our program,” Sarkisian said. “I think back to our time here, and in year one, we went 5-7 and had zero players drafted. Year two, we go 8-5 and have five players drafted with Bijan going in the first round. Now coming out of year three where we go 12-2, we’re Big 12 Champs and make it to the College Football Playoff, and we have a record number of players drafted. That really speaks to the development in our program and what we do with our players when they arrive and how we work with them, not only on the field but off the field, to become the best teammates and players they can be.

“It just reinforces that through team success comes the individual accolades, awards, and honors. Being an NFL draft pick is an honor, it’s not a right. You earn that, and all these guys have earned this opportunity, and I’m looking forward to seeing where they go with their next endeavors.”

Think about this.

Sarkisian’s program is so good that NFL teams draft a Longhorn backup or role player rather than the stars at other programs.

That sounds like an SEC program.

I am not predicting Texas will dominate the SEC. We know it is a tough league. Georgia is not going anywhere. LSU is always strong. Ole Miss is on the rise.

However, this year’s NFL Draft reflects what Sarkisian has built.

Sarkisian has answered the question.

Texas is SEC-ready.

“I like this whole group,” Sarkisian said. “I’m extremely proud of all of them because I’ve seen the strides of all these guys have made with the work they put in, their commitment to the team, and their personal development, and I’m so proud of who they are as men and how they represent us as a program. I’m so grateful for our staff and all they do, as well, because this is indicative of, one, the type of players we’re recruiting now, and two, the development of the players in our program. We’re reaping the benefits of that now. We’re a better football team in season, and as a result, we’re getting more players with an opportunity of fulfilling their dreams of getting drafted in the NFL.

“But at the end of the day, this was such a cool moment for all 11 of our guys who were drafted. They left their mark in the proud and storied history of Texas Football once again and set one heck of a standard in our program going forward. I couldn’t be prouder and can’t wait to follow all of them as they take their talents to the NFL.”

Longhorn Draft Highlights (provided by UT)

• The Longhorns’ 11 picks ranked second to Michigan (13)
• Top 5: Michigan (13), TEXAS (11), Alabama (10), Florida State (10), Washington (10)
• Texas was one of only six programs with multiple first-round draft picks this year (Alabama, 3; LSU, 3; Washington, 3; Georgia, 2; Penn State, 2; and TEXAS, 2).
• Texas’ 11 picks through the first six rounds of the draft were the most of any program.
• Texas’ 5 picks in the first two rounds were tied with Alabama, Georgia and Washington for the most of any program (five in first 52 picks was the best of any program).
• UT’s 11 selections were the most-ever for the Longhorns in a seven-round draft and third-most in any draft (17 in 12 rounds in 1984 and 12 in 12 rounds in1982). The previous highs for seven rounds of a draft were 10 in 1984 and nine in 1982.
• The Longhorns’ four selections in the first 46 picks (and 5 in first 52 selections) are both the most in UT history.
• Texas posted at least five selections in back-to-back drafts for the first time since accomplishing that for three years in a row from 2006-08.
• Texas’ two first-round picks were the second-most in UT history, trailing only the three selected in 1980. Texas also had two first-round picks in 1948, 1953, 1991, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
• The Longhorns had first-round picks in back-to-back drafts for the first time since doing that for four years in a row from 2004-07.
• The Longhorns’ seven offensive players selected this year were the most-ever in seven rounds of a draft in UT history and trail only the Horns’ eight offensive players taken in the 1984 12-round draft.
• Texas has had the top running back drafted (2024 Jonathon Brooks/2023 Bijan Robinson) in back-to-back drafts, joining Alabama (2012 Trent Richardson/2011 Mark Ingram) as the only program to accomplish that.
• With the duo of Jonathon Brooks (1st Round) and Keilan Robinson (5th Round) being selected this year, it marks just the fourth time in UT history of the common draft era that a running back duo was taken in the same draft. It happened in consecutive years for the first time in school history during the common draft era (Bijan Robinson/1st Round/Falcons & Roschon Johnson/4th Round/Bears in 2023). The other two times were (Eric Metcalf/1st Round/Browns & Darron Norris/9th Round/Patriots in 1989) and (Rodney Tate/4th Round/Bengals and A.J. “Jam” Jones/8th Round/Rams in 1982).
• DT Byron Murphy II and WR Xavier Worthy marked the first time Texas had two first-round picks since 2007 (S Michael Griffin & CB Aaron Ross).
• Byron Murphy II was the first Longhorn defensive player selected in the first round since Malcom Brown in 2015 (32nd Pick/Patriots). He was the earliest a Texas defensive player was taken in the draft since Kenny Vaccaro in 2013 (15th Pick/Saints) and the earliest a Longhorn defensive tackle was selected since Kenneth Sims was the first pick overall by the Patriots in 1982.
• Xavier Worthy was the first Longhorn wide receiver taken in the first round since Roy Williams in 2004 (No. 7 Pick/Lions) and just the third Texas WR taken in the first round (Johnny “Lam” Jones/No. 2 Pick/Jets/1980) in the history of the common era draft (since 1967).
• Wide receivers Xavier Worthy (1st Round), Adonai Mitchell (2nd Round), and Jordan Whittington (6th Round) being selected marked the most-ever at that position in a single common-era NFL Draft (since 1967) for UT. The Longhorns previously had two WRs taken in 2020, 2004, 1991 & 1987.
• Ja’Tavion Sanders was the first Longhorn tight end drafted in 10 years (Geoff Swaim/7th Round/Cowboys/2015) and the earliest a Texas TE was drafted since Jermichael Finley (3rd Round/Packers/2008).

Funniest Things You Will See This Week

This is for the fellas

I am not the only person who thinks Galveston’s beach is gross

Keon Coleman is hilarious

Basically, we do not have an offseason

Sports On A Dime

1. Whenever someone says former Washington quarterback Michael Penix outplayed Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers in the Sugar Bowl, here is some context. Penix was 23 years old and in his sixth year as a college football quarterback. Ewers was 20 years old and in his second year as a starter.

2. As great as this draft was for Texas, there is room for improvement. The last time Texas had a defensive back drafted in the first round was in 2013 (Kenny Vaccaro). In addition, the highest cornerbacks drafted have been Aaron Williams (2nd round) and Curtis Brown (3rd round) in 2011.

Here is what it has looked like recently:

2024 – Ryan Watts (6th round)
2021 – Caden Sterns (5th round)
2020 – Brandon Jones (3rd round)
2019 – Kris Boyd (7th round)
2018 – DeShon Elliott (6th round)
2015 – Mykkele Thompson (5th round)
2015 – Quandre Diggs (6th round)
2013 – Kenny Vaccaro (1st round)
2011 – Aaron Willians (2nd round)
2011 – Curtis Brown (2nd round)

If Texas wants to reclaim the DBU title, it must start producing high draft picks.

3. How important is Texas offensive line coach Kyle Flood to this program? CBS Sports reporter Shehan Jeyarajah had an interesting observation in an article about Deion Sanders that made me appreciate the job of development by Flood:

“Out of nine offensive linemen picked in the first round of the 2024 NFL Draft, only one transferred at any point. That player, Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton, still spent two years with the Sooners before prepping for the draft. The rest were homegrown high school recruits.

“Last season, four teams were named finalists for the Joe Moore Award, given to the best offensive line in football: Georgia, Oregon LSU and eventual winner Washington. Among those four teams, three of the four returned at least three starters. Out of the 20 starters between the four, 19 were on the roster during the previous season. Only two players ever transferred.

“Terrifyingly, Colorado only has two total linemen on the entire roster who it recruited from high school – Seaton and sophomore Hank Zilinskas. Every other player came via transfer. Perhaps just as eye-popping, Colorad
o lists only 11 total offensive linemen on its spring roster. For comparison, Georgia boasts 19. More could be on the way, but any addition would not get the benefit of working in spring camp.”

The avalanche of NFL players produced by Flood at Texas will begin in next year’s draft.

4. My favorite post-draft activity is watching former and current coaches take credit for developing a player into a draft pick. Andre Coleman, Brenan Marion, and Chris Jackson coached Xavier Worthy. Marion and Jackson did not take credit for developing Worthy on social media but you know they fired off calls to recruits to talk about their respective abilities to develop NFL talent.

5. This draft success caught the attention of Duncanville receiver Dakorien Moore. I noticed he liked SIX Texas draft-related posts on X this weekend.

Here are the tweets Moore liked:

6. Keilan Robinson on being drafted with Jonathon Brooks and the Longhorns have running backs selected in back-to-back years: “It feels good to see everyone at the next level and see that we all made it. It just shows the kind of players we’ve got at Texas and the kind of coaches we’ve got. Two years in a row with two running backs drafted, that’s kind of unheard of. It’s crazy, and it just shows the pedigree and the work that’s been put in. We all expected to be in this position, and we all knew what we could do and the kind of coaching that we had and the kind of leadership, so it just goes to show you how things are at Texas.”

7. Ryan Watts on the Longhorn draft: “It’s a blessed feeling. That’s why I came back to Texas. I knew Coach Sark was doing something different and it just being the beginning process of this change. Being a part of it and being remembered as the class that starting the change, I know they’re going to be even better next year, especially the defensive back room. It started with me being where I’m at, and next year we’re going to have day one, day twos, and the years and yeas over, because those young guys are talented. I feel like this team is just going to continue growing, and Texas is going to be a spot that everyone wants to join.”

8. LB Jaylan Ford’s message to Longhorn nation: “To the fans, thank you to them for their unwavering love and support. They’re the ones that I went in there every day trying to be my best for, to make them appreciate the Longhorns and the guys who love the university and the team as much as they did. I tried to instill that into me and play with the passion the fans carried, as well, so I want to thank them for that and for them riding with us on this crazy journey. Even now them supporting all the guys getting drafted, you look all over social media and see them cheering for how many guys we got and congratulating them, so to the fans, I can’t thank them enough, and I can’t thank the school enough. I’ll be proud to come back and watch the team and be Texas alumni. It’s going to be fun.”

9. OL Christian Jones on how Texas prepared him for the NFL Draft: “I feel extremely prepared. I don’t think any program in the country works as hard as we do – winter, spring, summer – just to get ready for the season. The way Coach Sark has everything set up is very pro-style. We’re running plays you’re going to run at the next level, seeing blitzes you’re going to see at the next level, and blocking NFL-caliber people in our own locker room. Iron sharpens iron, and I was able to get better going against the likes of Murph (Byron Murphy), (T’Vondre) Sweat, all the edge guys – Barryn (Sorrell), (Ethan) Burke, all those guys. It was definitely a whole group effort, and the support and love is there, and I’m so grateful for that.”

10. Austin FC has won four of its last five matches after a slow start. I will gladly take the wins.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News