ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunday Pulpit (via Loewy Law Firm): Orange-White Game bonanza

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Loewy-Orangebloods-Banner-20200830-large.jpg

Adam Loewy is one of the top personal injury lawyers in Austin. Adam is a proud graduate of the University of Texas School of Law and started his law firm in 2005. Adam helps people who have been injured in car crashes, slip and falls, dog bites, and other assorted ways. He is actively involved in every case he handles and is always available to talk or text. If you or a loved one has been injured, call the Loewy Law Firm today at (512) 280-0800.

We are less than a week away from one of the most important Orange-White games in recent history.

Expectations are very high for Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian’s program in year three. Many Longhorn observers believe this team is capable of winning 10 games - or coming pretty darn close to that number. Sarkisian will finally have a quarterback who started on opening day for two consecutive seasons at Texas. This offensive line is stacked with talent. There are explosive receivers who should pose problems to opposing defensive backs. Jaylan Ford is one of the nation’s best linebackers. Jahdae Barron and Ryan Watts are NFL prospects. I know some of you are buying silver right now, but everyone needs to load up on Barryn Sorrell’s stock. Are there a few question marks? Of course. Texas is no different than most college football teams. However, is there enough talent on this team to have success in the Big 12? The answer is yes.

We are 147 days away from the season opener against Rice. Texas will lose players in the transfer portal after the spring game. The Longhorns may pick up a player or two when the transfer portal window opens on May 1 and closes on May 15. Sarkisian’s team will go through summer workouts before training camp begins. And Texas will have multiple injured players who were limited this spring available before the upcoming season.

However, Sarkisian and his staff will know where nearly every player stands on the depth chart after the spring game, and that will give us plenty of areas to monitor on Saturday.

“We're just trying to be really intentional with our approach every day that we go, what we're trying to accomplish, and why we're trying to do certain things,” Sarkisian said. “Whether that's on offense, defense, or special teams. The goal is to continue to push the guys. Spring ball is obviously a unique time of year where there's no game. We have our spring game but there's no real opponent at the end of it. Everybody has to be really intentional in their approach to what they need to do for themselves to continue to raise their level of play in whatever that looks like.

“It could be knowledge of the system. It could be fundamentals or technique. It could be how to recover physically so that you're prepared to go again the next time so that we can continue to grow individually, and then ultimately our team is better at the end of 15 practices than we were at the start of the whole thing.”

We will know if Texas has improved this spring by next week.

For now, here is what I intend to monitor on Saturday.

Quarterbacks

We heard a lot about the new and improved Quinn Ewers this offseason. Here is a portion of what I recently reported in the War Room:

“I was told Ewers continues to look like a much-improved quarterback. One person told me Ewers is playing his best football since arriving on campus.

“This has been a constant theme since winter conditioning. Multiple people associated with the program have told me Ewers is more focused and dedicated to becoming a great quarterback than they have seen. They believe Ewers is a better passer than he was last season. In addition, Ewers is emerging as a vocal leader, which is a new role for him. There are high hopes within the building that Ewers will emerge as an elite quarterback this season.”

I want to see what that looks like up close. Clearly, it is only one practice, but we should see Ewers connecting on the short and long throws. If Ewers has hit the next level, this team is destined to have a lot of success this season.

In addition, we have heard nothing but positive things about Arch Manning this spring. If Manning plays well on Saturday, every good throw will be on highlight reels. Regardless, this is a good opportunity for Manning to lock down that No.2 spot in his battle against Maalik Murphy.

Running back

Some Longhorn fans believe when Jonathon Brooks is 100 percent healthy, he will become this team’s No.1 running back. I do not believe Brooks has enough skins on the wall for that statement to be accurate.

Brooks has appeared in 11 games during two years at Texas, compiling 340 yards and three touchdowns. He is averaging 6.7 yards per carry. Nevertheless, Brooks averaged three yards per carry during an Alamo Bowl loss against Washington.

Sarkisian has praised running back Jaydon Blue’s development this spring. Blue has received first-team reps and excelled in his role. If Blue has a strong performance on Saturday, Brooks may find himself ahead of CJ Baxter, but on the outside looking in as relates to becoming the No.1 running back.

“I thought Jaydon Blue had a nice scrimmage,” Sarkisian recently said. “He made some plays, especially kind of on the perimeter. He's a very explosive athlete. I thought Savion Red, from a position change standpoint, shows physicality that is really encouraging. Savion [Red], obviously, played receiver a year ago, and we know he's gifted as a receiver. But really starting running between the tackles, which is kind of what he did in high school, kind of a Wildcat quarterback. That been encouraging.”

Receivers

The last time we saw Xavier Worthy, he dropped multiple passes against Washington in the Alamo Bowl. At the beginning of spring practice, Sarkisian announced Worthy was playing with a broken hand in 2022. The injury did not prevent Worthy from playing or receiving a multitude of targets last season. Nonetheless, Sarkisian gave Longhorn observers a potential explanation for Worthy’s drop off in productivity and reduction in receiving yards (981 in 2021, 760 in 2022) and touchdowns (12 to nine). This is the time for Worthy to erase all memories of last season and have a standout performance.

Additionally, freshman receivers Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore Jr. have excelled this spring. They are destined to play this season, which means they will push multiple incumbent players down the depth chart. A solid spring game by both receivers will be the walk-off homerun that solidifies their ascension.

Offensive line

Can I simply say Cam Williams and call it a day?

Williams is one of the main individuals to watch on Saturday. DJ Campbell started slowly this spring but started playing better within the past two weeks. Williams has been a consistent performer this spring and is fighting to get into the top five. He has been the biggest story within that unit this spring. If Williams has another strong performance, he could force Sarkisian and his staff to wait until training camp to decide who will start on the offensive line.

Tight Ends

There is not much to see here. Any production Sarkisian’s offense receives outside of Ja’Tavion Sanders is a bonus. Gunnar Helm is currently the No.2 tight end. The only unanswered question is will Juan Davis become an option this season could he fall behind incoming tight ends Spencer Shannon and Will Randle this summer?

Edge

Just like Williams, can I simply say Ethan Burke and call it a day?

I recently wrote, “Before Texas played in the Alamo Bowl last year, Kwiatkowski said Burke was developing but need to get stronger in the weight room. Burke checked in at 6-foot-6 and 250 pounds at the beginning of spring practice.” Burke has been extremely productive this spring. He looks like a player who is ready to start. Sarkisian has expressed a desire to generate more quarterback pressure this season. I want to see some flash plays from Burke in the spring game.

“I think Barryn [Sorrell] has grown into it,” Sarkisian recently said when asked about his Edge players. “He's really developed. I mean, you see what his body looks like today from when he got here. He's more explosive. He's faster. So, he's created some value for himself with his versatility. I think Justice Finkley has taken a step forward. I think J’Mond Tapp has taken a step forward. I think Ethan Burke looks like a different guy. We've got high expectations for Colton Vasek. I'm probably leaving some people out. That’s where Jaray Bledsoe has some position flex for us as well.”

Defensive tackle

Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo are gone. However, Sarkisian has expressed a lot of confidence in Byron Murphy II and T'Vondre Sweat.

From what I was told throughout the offseason, Murphy is a breakout candidate in 2023. He is the main player on the defensive line I intend to monitor.

"T’Vondre Sweat, Byron Murphy, two guys that have kind of taken the bull by the horns there, and doing a nice job.," Sarkisian said. "Murphy, again, I think he's going to have a heck of a year for us. He's working hard. I think he's wired right. He's got a real mentality about him. He's tough. He's physical. He wants to be really good and he works at his craft.”

Linebacker

This unit is my biggest concern. I know what to expect from Jaylan Ford. I just do not know what David Gbenda looking better than ever means as relates to the success of this year’s team, or any other unproven linebacker.

I want to see productivity from any linebacker not wearing #41.

“The linebacker thing, we've got a lot of depth there,” Sarkisian said. “All of a sudden it went from okay, what are we going to do with DeMarvion [Overshown] being gone? And then Jaylan decides to come back and that's great having him back. The development of Jett Bush has been positive. The development of Mo Blackwell has been a real positive. David Gbenda had the best offseason he's had since we've been here, and it showed up in his play, not only on defense but on special teams. The influx of Liona Lefau and Anthony Hill. It's a very strong position for us, not only defensively, but that linebacking core is critical to our success on special teams as well.”

Cornerback

Nearly every cornerback in this room is a standout player. This is arguably the deepest position group on Sarkisian’s team. I am not concerned about the players who step on the field.

Instead, I intend to monitor what I reported in the War Room on Thursday:

“I was told defensive back Larry Turner-Gooden “has been turning heads lately” and those within the program want to see how far he can take it in the next eight days. The DB room is deep, but Turner-Gooden has the positive attention of this staff. He has to make the most of his opportunity.

“Texas defensive back Terrance Brooks is in the same boat," Sarkisian said. "Brooks has practiced well lately and I heard positive things about him this week. However, the next eight days are crucial for Brooks. If Brooks steps up, this spring would be a huge success for him.”

Safety

Every Longhorn observer is eager to see Kitan Crawford. Sarkisian cannot stop praising Crawford’s development this offseason. Crawford has taken advantage of Jalen Catalon’s absence from spring practice as he recovers from a shoulder injury. Sarkisian said he is not worried about Catalon missing spring football because the safety has college experience.

I want to witness Crawford performing like the player Sarkisian has faith in.

“I think one guy that stands out to me right now is Kitan Crawford, who was a tremendous special teams player for us a year ago,” Sarkisian recently said. “I think he was Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Year. This guy was fantastic. He's playing really well at safety for us right now. He's communicating at a high level. He's making plays on the ball. He's playing fast. He's definitely maturing. He's one guy that definitely stands out to me.”

Special teams

One bad play on special teams contributed to the loss against Alabama last season. Spare every Longhorn fan from seeing any replication of that missed opportunity on Saturday.

Funniest Things You Will See This Week

Good men of Nacogdoches, where were you?

She has jokes

Of course, this happened in Florida

Every supportive parent can identify with this

Sports On A Dime

1. Texas tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders on the areas their offense has improved this spring: “I'll definitely say in our quarterbacks for sure. I think getting Arch [Manning] definitely made Quinn step up his game for sure. Maalik coming along, too, getting over that injury. You can just tell Quinn is in a different mode this year, the way he carries himself, the way he comes into the facility. He started to become more of a leader. I'm loving it. I'm loving the way he’s stepping up for sure.”

2. Sanders on what he has worked on the most this offseason: “I say my YAC, my yards after catch for sure. I definitely left a lot of plays on the field last year for sure. So that was my big emphasis coming to this offseason. You look at guys like Travis Kelce and George Kittle, they get all their yards off a YAC, not in the initial catch. So, that was my big emphasis.”

3. Sanders on the other tight ends in the room: “Oh, yeah, for sure. My boy Gunnar [Helm] for sure. He has definitely taken his game to another level, too. That's making me work even harder. I hope I'm making him work harder as well. So, I just can't wait to show what we can what we could do in the field … Juan [Davis]is definitely coming along. He's starting to get it. It's taken him a little while but he's definitely trying to come along. I'm happy for him that he's starting to finally feel himself and get back in that mode.”

4. Longhorn cornerback Jahdae Barron on Quinn Ewers this spring: “Me and Quinn, we had a little altercation. Not like a mean altercation. It was one where we were competing and I said you’re going to throw a pick. He was like I wouldn’t throw a pick. I was like I need to pick from him. So, I've been trying to get a pick, and I was supposed to have one [on Thursday]. I was a little late. Quinn has improved. His confidence went way up. He's confident. He runs the ball when he needs to and he's patient. I like that.”

5. Barron on what stands out about freshman receivers DeAndre Moore Jr. and Johntay Cook: “Okay, Johntay, his route running is amazing. But D-Mo, he is very fast. He's fast. I was like, dang, he's fast. When he gets out his brakes, he goes. He's a freak though. He's really fast.”

6. Jerrin Thompson on adjusting from playing boundary safety to field safety this spring: “One big thing we do during spring in times like this we play left and right safety. We don’t play boundary or free. We're in situations where we have to play boundary and field based off where the ball is. So, just them reps. I played it my freshman year and sophomore year. Just getting the reps and having a feel of what the different techniques that you had to play, that's all it is.”

7. Thompson on the progression of Ewers: “Quinn, you can tell that he's come a long way learning the defense and know where we're playing. Even if we're disguising on him, he does a good job of looking off the safeties. I got to tell you that he’s come a long way just in that aspect.”

8. Longhorn receiver Jordan Whittington on what it felt like to graduate from UT: “It was amazing. I didn't know I was actually walking the stage until two days before. I had to round up all my people two days before I walked. They all made it and it was a great feeling. You never really think about how cool it is until you're actually up there and you're like, I'm a Texas Ex now. It was great. It was amazing. It felt just like winning the state championship in high school.”

In addition, Whittington said he will receive his graduation ring in May.

9. Whittington on Savion Red at running back: “I've been saying [let’s do two backs] or something. Let me get something. But, no, he's got it man. We always talk about him being a Deebo Samuel-type build. Deebo is comfortable in the backfield, too. Savion also is. Just seeing how that wide receiver technique and movement can translate to running back, it gives him a really big advantage when it comes to open field one-on-one stuff like that.”

10. I covered the NFL for decades and believe one maintain one team will fall in love with Bijan Robinson and draft him earlier than projected. Robinson has the on and off-the-field attributes that NFL teams covet. I cannot envision Robinson lasting past Dallas at No. 26.

OB Happy Hour

Feel free to join the OB community and staff at our official happy hour on Friday. It will be a great event.

OB-Happy-Hour-2023.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News