ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (About tipping plays... UT coaches are not concerned)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Texas Card House Houston:
Cash is King at Texas Card House Houston!
*$100 Button Draw at 3:30 SHARP at Our First NL Cash Game on Weekdays (Monday-Friday)!
*Play Cash Games for FREE from Open to the Start of the Tournament on Saturdays (12pm-2pm) & Sundays (2pm-4pm)!

(From Anwar)

Occasionally, the demand for answers from our community is so overwhelming, hard questions need to be asked.

Alex Dunlap recently analyzed the Longhorn offense, and came to the conclusion that Texas was tipping its plays. It was a fascinating analysis by Dunlap. It was one of Dunlap’s most enlightening Deep Digs.

Initially, I was content with Dunlap’s insight. However, Longhorn fans wanted feedback from folks inside the building. After declining to ask questions about another reporter’s research, which can create a slippery slope if you want to challenge Texas football coach Tom Herman’s play-calling at a press conference without having your ducks in a row for his inevitable rebuttal, I eventually agreed with the masses. Somebody had to do some digging, and I had to pick the brains of multiple sources this week.

As a warning, some of you may not like what I uncovered, and my only request is you keep the profanity to a minimum.

If you missed Dunlap’s initial article, now would be a great time for a review.

“There were 73 plays versus TCU where a running back was lined up somewhere in the backfield alongside Ehlinger. On 31 of those plays, the running back was clearly lined up "behind" him, meaning either in pistol, or in a fashion to where, if looking from the sideline directly down the yard marker, one player would not block your view of the other. If it would, that was considered an "even" or staggered alignment. All things very easy for the eyeballs to gauge from the defensive side of the football, thanks to the miracles of human depth perception and natural visual acuity. There were 42 snaps where the running back was lined up alongside Ehlinger, or just ever-so-slightly staggered, as described above.

“Of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.

“Of the 42 times the running back lined up at an equivalent or slightly staggered depth to Ehlinger, Texas dropped back to throw the football in all but one of those instances where Roschon Johnson was handed the football coming directly across Ehlinger's body on a relatively rare outside-zone call.

“For Patterson and his defense's sake, they could basically depend on this pre-snap, run-versus-pass read like clockwork.”

I wanted to get the general opinions of Dunlap’s assessment, and if there was any concern about the Texas offense tipping its plays. As expected, I was questioned about Dunlap’s football background. Once we got past that part of the conversations, I received a very interesting explanation.

From what I was told, a member of Herman’s support staff must self-scout the Longhorns and look for tendencies every week. That person reviews the game film, without the benefit of knowing what plays are being called, and he charts the propensities from each game.

According to one source, there are tendencies in a shotgun offense. Those tendencies are not limited to depth and width of a running back, but where he aligns in relation to the tight end (opposite and same side). The person in charge of that self-scouting aspect writes down everything he sees and presents his findings to the football staff on Mondays.

Dunlap said, “of the 31 times the running back was lined up clearly behind Ehlinger, Texas ran the football 23 times, or 74% of the time.”

That number is not high enough to create too many concerns behind closed doors.

I was told the Longhorn staff only worries about that number when it approaches at least 90 percent. When that number is somewhere between 90 and 95 percent, they will put in a few new wrinkles on offense to decrease that number.

The people I spoke to do not believe opposing teams will game-plan anything off a 70 percent predictability number. As it was explained to me, an opposing team might have an idea what is coming seven out of 10 times. However, that team is not willing to risk giving up a touchdown on the other three plays when the unexpected occurs.

In addition, I learned there is pride in the building about being able to impose their will.

One source noted that Texas’ offense is ranked fourth in the country with a 53.7 percent passing completion rate.

“You know what is?” the source said. “It is because Tom’s offense knows how to impose their f-ing will on other teams. That’s why. They do the same thing over and over again on third-down. Why? Because it works.”

Dunlap’s original researching was definitely enlightening.

Nevertheless, you also know why nobody associated with the program is concerned about tipping plays.

Coming off the bye week, I thought this might be the perfect time to provide you with a few updates about players we have not talked about enough recently.

WR Brennan Eagles – It appears Eagles is going to play against Kansas State on Saturday. Eagles was suspended after missing practice prior to the TCU game. His absence was unexcused, but my sources said he was dealing with a personal issue, and returned to practice on Wednesday. Eagles was suspended for one game. However, everyone I spoke to this week described Eagles as a great young man who has expressed to them his desire to remain a Longhorn. Let us see how much he plays this week.

RB Derrian Brown – Let me recap what I reported last month before giving you an update:

“In addition, I was told UT’s doctors have not given Brown the green light to resume physical activity. I am not talking about physical contact on the football field. Instead, I am referring to Brown being able to lift weights and run. The doctors are taking a very cautious approach with Brown for obvious reasons.

“One source informed me the earliest Brown might be cleared is in January when Texas begins winter conditioning. Idealistically, a person who endures Brown’s medical condition will not resume rigorous physical activity for one year, which would be January 2020. However, that is the ideal date. The doctors in Austin will ultimately determine when they believe it is safe for Brown begin training for football again.”

There is a lot of cautious optimism surrounding Brown.

From what I was told, Brown recently had multiple medical tests conducted, and things are trending in the right direction. According to my sources, Brown is progressing, going to speech therapy, occupational therapy, and there is a chance he could resume physical activities sooner than anticipated.

I will keep you posted.

WR Joshua Moore – He is still dealing with legal issues for carrying a loaded weapon without a license. It is a misdemeanor charge.

I learned the long-term plan inside the building is for Moore to return to football in 2020. Everyone I spoke with views Moore as a young man who made a mistake. In addition, one person told me if Moore was not in the long-term plans, he would have been kicked off the team. Since Moore is still a Longhorn, you can expect to see him on the football field again at some point next year.

(From Suchomel)

The big recruiting news this week came in the way of a bit of a surprise commitment from Hutto athlete Dajon Harrison, who gave the Texas staff a pledge on Monday and went public with his decision on Tuesday night. The commitment from Harrison wasn’t a complete shock since he’s been in talks with the UT staff this fall, but the swiftness with which how it went down wasn’t necessarily expected.

In my previous communications with Harrison, he had told me he was hopeful a Texas offer would come his way and if it did, the Longhorns would immediately move to the top of his list. As it turns out, the 5-10 ½, 176-pounder committed on the spot as soon as the offer came in.

“They told me to FaceTime them. Bryan Carrington had told me a while back when he says FaceTime right now, it’s usually good news,” Harrison said. “When I got on the phone with coach Herman, he told me he loved my film, how they’ll use me, said with (Devin) Duvernay leaving there are opportunities there. Having that lined up, that gave me the opportunity and I just took it.”

You can’t help but be happy for a young man who is going to get to live out his dream and acts swiftly when the opportunity arises. Harrison said Texas has everything he wants in a school and the ability to play in front of his family made it an extremely easy decision to commit.

“Staying close to home was big. I didn’t want to go play anywhere far because family wouldn’t be able to see me,” Harrison said. “I do everything for them so for them to be able to come see me was big.”

Harrison’s commitment video featured Jamaal Charles and he told me this week the two are first cousins and have been close pretty much all of Harrison’s life.

“He’s my cousin. My mom’s part of the family. I’ve been knowing him since I was as small as I can remember. Him and Earl Thomas used to come to my house when they were at Texas,” Harrison said. “He’s a big part of why I committed. I want to follow in his footsteps. He’s in a place I want to be – been to the NFL, retired, been to Pro Bowls.”

A versatile athlete who can play at both receiver and defensive back, there’s been speculation on whether Harrison will try his hand on offense or defense at Texas. It sounds like both options are on the table, but he’s been told he’ll start on offense. The success Texas has had with the slot position is something Harrison is keenly aware of.

“I see what they do at the slot position, honestly. Duvernay is one of best wide receivers in the nation, not just talent wise but on paper (stats) too,” Harrison said. “They get the ball to their slot a lot. That’s something I want to be a part of.

“They want me at both positions, but I’m pushing more as slot. Me and coach (Drew) Mehringer have a great relationship. It’s same with coach (Jason) Washington). But I’ll be starting off in the slot.”

Harrison will take his official visit to Texas this weekend. After that, he’ll shut the recruiting process down and will sign in December. He’s considering enrolling early but isn’t sure just yet if he’ll be able to make that work.

As for what he brings to the table, Harrison said he brings a tenacity that will surprise some people considering he’s not the biggest guy on the field.

“I feel I can bring leadership at a young age. I’m going to show what I have on the field on every play,” Harrison said. “I feel like people watching me won’t expect a lot out of me because I’m a shorter dude. But I’m a real dog on the field, have those characteristics. I want to score on you every chance I get.”

Hutto head coach Brad LaPlante says Texas got itself a good one, and he feels Harrison is only scratching the surface of what he’s capable of.

“The things he brings to the field, the ability to create space. Even if it’s in tight coverage, he has an ability to create space, stem up his routes and his quickness.

“I think when he gets engrained in their system and is focused on learning their playbook, if he learns plays as fast as we think he can, has his ability match up with his knowledge of the playbook, he’ll really take off. We say a confused player is a slow player. Once get he gets the playbook down (at Texas), everyone will see, he’ll really shine.”

Speaking of receivers, when word first hit that Texas had picked up a silent commitment on Monday, my initial instinct was that Kelvontay Dixon had made the switch from Arkansas to UT.

I shot a quick text to Dixon, who responded that it wasn’t him “at the moment.” No real shock since he’s been pretty open about Texas and Arkansas being in a close race, and while I wouldn’t read too much into the wording, it was a bit interesting.

The question now, with Harrison committed, what does it do with UT’s receiver numbers for this year’s class? Texas has commitments from Troy Omeire and Quentin Johnston. Loic Fouonji is still in play and should be deciding soon. Harrison’s versatility combined with the transfer of Jordan Pouncey (and the uncertainty of Joshua Moore’s future) would seem to make the numbers somewhat flexible.

Dixon tells me he’ll be at the Longhorns’ game against K-State on Saturday. If Texas really pushes here, I could see a scenario where he might want to lock up his spot in the class and make a decision. There are some moving parts here so we’ll see how things play out (Dixon said on Thursday he’s not sure yet how/if Harrison’s pledge impacts him), but it’s a situation we’ll be monitoring.

Not much new to report on Bastrop Cedar Ridge defensive end Alfred Collins, who continues to stick to his plans to take the process at a slow pace. There was a time when people were projecting Collins to commit to Texas last spring or in the summer despite him consistently saying he’d take his time … as the calendar turns to November, he’s still out there and the picture is still a bit hazy.

Collins told us recently he might not even sign until February. He’s down to Texas, OU, Alabama and Texas A&M but from what I’ve gathered, it will likely come down to the Longhorns and Sooners. I still favor Texas for the same reasons I’ve stated numerous times (proximity, number of visits, etc), but as I’ve said from the jump, this one isn’t the slam dunk many have made it out to be.

In checking around this week, I’m told that people inside the Oklahoma still feel they have a legitimate shot, so it doesn’t look like the Sooners are going away anytime soon. A couple people in the Bastrop area still feel Collins’ is Texas’ to lose though, and I continue to side with this line of thinking.

Tyler Junior College linebacker Maureese Wren tweeted this week that he’ll be at the Texas game against Texas Tech (unofficial visit) so I checked in with the former Mesquite Horn product for an update. Wren, who transferred to Tyler JC from Louisiana Tech, said he’s been in touch with Texas director of recruiting Bryan Carrington.

“I’ve been talking to them since I got into JUCO. I’ve been talking to coach Carrington a lot,” Wren said. “He’s said they want to get me down there for a visit, told me every time to keep grinding, finish the season strong.”

Tyler JC’s season is over, so Wren said his focus right now is on finding a landing spot that suits him and finishing strong in the classroom. He’ll graduate in December and plans to enroll somewhere in January. A one-time Missouri commitment, Texas hasn’t extended an offer but he’s hopeful that will change somewhere down the line.

“They’re pretty much still evaluating me right now. I think pretty much they’ll let me know (on an offer) when I get down there,” Wren said. “From what I’m hearing, they need a dominant outside linebacker and pass rusher so we’ll see what happens.”

Wren has been through the recruiting process before so he’s not into the games. When I asked him where Texas would fit in, he said the Longhorns would be “number one. Most definitely number one.” I asked if he’d consider giving a commitment on the spot should UT offer, and Wren said there’s a strong chance that would happen.

He told me he’s currently checking in at 6-4 and 240 pounds, and feels he could bring some size and athleticism to the linebacker position for whatever school he chooses.

“I have the ability to cover, to pass rush. I’m athletic,” Wren said. “I actually play some nickel down here and play strong safety.”

How actively the staff pursues Wren could largely depend on what happens with linebacker Jaqwondis Burns, who will be in Austin this weekend for an official visit.

In talking to the IMG Academy product and former Terrell (TX) native this week, Burns tells me he’s still solidly committed to Ole Miss, but I get the impression he may as well be an uncommitted prospect (or soft commit at best) and this is really a two-team race between the Rebels and the Longhorns. Other schools like Virginia and Arizona are still working him, but I don’t expect them to figure into the mix.

There’s been speculation from fans that Burns could be a flip candidate this weekend and while anything is possible, he tells me he’s dead-set on taking his Ole Miss official visit in December before making a final decision. This is more of a gut feel on my part because Burns is pretty even-keel in his comments, but I’d be surprised if Texas doesn’t blow him away this weekend and move into the pole position down the stretch. With everything UT and the city of Austin have to offer, in addition to Burns being a Texan before heading to IMG, the smart money would probably be on the Longhorns in this one.

We’ll catch up with Burns when his visit concludes to get his thoughts.

(McComas)

A couple hoops recruiting notes:

Matthew Murrell, who took an official visit to Texas recently, plans to announce his commitment on Saturday. I heard the Texas visit went well, but Murrell and his family are keeping everyone guessing right now. Because of that, my educated guess right now would be he selects Ole Miss on Saturday because of the location and playing time available, which is something of high importance to Murrell. Normally at this point when an announcement is coming, I usually know. I don’t know with him.

Earlier this week, Shaka Smart made a trip to Minnesota to see and visit with Walton, who also took an official visit to Texas.

“We talked a lot,” Walton texted me about Smart’s recent visit. “It was a great conversation and I really enjoyed it.”

For a while, Walton has seemingly been on nearly every top high-major program’s radar, but no one was gone all in. Well, I think Texas could be making its move. Walton is best known for his ability to shoot the rock from anywhere, but also has the type of personality on and off the court Texas is looking for with an ability to defend as well. He kind of sounds like Kenny Williams, who originally signed with VCU, but then switched his commitment to North Carolina when Smart left for Texas. I think Walton is one to follow closely. North Carolina has been recruiting him a lot as well, but recently received a commitment from guard Puff Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News