ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (AD Mitchell making his claim?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1676596812354.png

(From Anwar)

Texas freshman quarterback Arch Manning is more grateful to be in Austin than the majority of fans realize.

I was told Manning has quickly adjusted to becoming a University of Texas student since arriving in January. Manning is happy to be on campus, has made several friends on the football team, and multiple people have said the staff loves being around him. It has only taken Manning a few weeks to make Austin his home.

However, I was told the coaching changes Manning witnessed during the offseason reaffirmed he made the right decision by joining the Longhorns.

Out of Manning’s top four schools, only Texas has the same offensive play-caller heading in the 2023 season.

--- Former Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien departed the Crimson Tide after last season for the same position with the New England Patriots. He was replaced by Notre Dame’s Tommy Rees.

--- Former Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken recently departed for the same position with the Baltimore Ravens. He was replaced by former Georgia quarterback and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo.

--- Clemson offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter was fired after the 2022 season. He was replaced by TCU offensive coordinator Garrett Riley.

Sarkisian is the only play-caller remaining from Manning’s top four options.

Now, an argument can be made that the other play-callers may have remained if Manning signed with their respective schools. However, it may have been difficult for O’Brien and Monken to turn down an opportunity to coach in the NFL again. Both coaches have NFL coaching backgrounds.

Regardless, Manning is happy to be home in Austin and with the Longhorns.

I have heard good things about new receiver AD Mitchell.

He is very athletic. One source told me Mitchell can become an elite receiver at Texas. So far, everyone likes what they see.

The only critique I have been told is Mitchell needs to develop more consistency as a pass-catcher.

Everyone is optimistic that after working with Texas receivers coach Chris Jackson this offseason, Mitchell will reach his full potential.

One of the reasons why Sarkisian hired Jackson is because he wanted a receivers coach who could manage the room and help them become more technically sound. I was told Sarkisian did not believe his receivers reached their potential last year but has faith in Jackson's ability to improve every receiver in the room.

“He’s such a talented coach with a ton of football and life experience that we’ll benefit from having on our staff,” Sarkisian said after hiring Jackson. “Chris is a passionate and attention-to-detail guy who took a unique path to coaching, but is as good as they get when it comes to developing and preparing receivers. He’s a very well-respected coach

(From Suchomel)

I’ve had some questions on whether the loss of Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken could hinder the Bulldogs’ chances with unsigned tight end Duce Robinson so I decided to check with a source. Unfortunately for Texas, I don’t get the impression that Monken’s departure will move the needle a ton. That’s not to say UT can’t use stability as a selling point, but it sounds like the draw with Georgia goes well beyond Monken (UGA promoted Mike Bobo to OC on Thursday).

“I don’t think (it’ll hurt Georgia, as long as (tight ends coach Todd) Hartley is there, and the structure of offense stays the same, which I think it will,” the source said. “One thing that stood out to Duce about Georgia is that they throw to the tight end a lot and he liked the small town feel, but big football feel. That’s not going to change.”

Georgia, Texas and USC are all still involved in this one with Robinson expected to make a decision by April 1. All three programs have expressed varying degrees of confidence at different times and all three are continuing to recruit him and his family, but from what I can tell, everyone is a bit in the dark on how this one will eventually unfold.

“Not a lot new. Everyone’s just kind of waiting,” I was told.

Allen defensive lineman Zina Umeozulu continues to keep an open mind and not cut any schools out, but he does admit that the news of Texas and OU joining the SEC in 2024 piques his interest in both the Longhorns and the Sooners.

Umeozulu had a call with Texas this week and is planning to be in Austin on March 25 when Texas hosts its second junior day of the 2024 cycle.

“My recruitment is still 100-percent open. Probably in the next couple months, around summer, I’ll narrow it down,” Umeozulu said.

With about 25 offers, Umeozulu won’t have any shortage of options. This one could still go in a number of directions, but I look for him to stay close to home, meaning Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma will all be major contenders.

Orlando Jones defensive tackle D’antre Robinson is one of the Longhorns’ top targets in the 2024 cycle, and the big fella was in Austin in January for UT’s junior day. The plan is to return this spring or summer, or possibly both.

Looking back at his January visit, Robinson said things couldn’t have gone much better.

“The vibe was very good. It felt like a family, really felt at home. I’m not going to lie,” Robinson said. “Everybody treats you like you’re one of them. They act the same, have fun. They take it seriously but also make sure to have some laughs.”

Texas has some help in this one in that Robinson is pretty close with current UT freshmen Peyton Kirkland and CJ Baxter. Both are early enrollees and both have been singing UT’s praises to Robinson, the No. 4-ranked DT in the country.

“They love it. They love the culture there,” Robinson said. “They’re locked in, want me to go there and be part of the culture there.

“The things that I like, the Texas program, they’re really building everything there. It feels like they’re trying to get back to where they were. The D-line coach, Bo Davis, he coached in the NFL. The two players I played with – I played with Baxter and against Peyton all through high school – so it’s good knowing people once you’re out there.”

Along with Texas, Robinson visited Colorado, Florida and Florida State in January. He’s trying to hit a bunch of campuses this spring (he listed Texas, Texas A&M, Georgia, Louisville, Oklahoma, Pittsburgh and Southern Cal). The plan is to drop a top 8 or 10 this spring and then take summer official visits. Texas will make the cut and an OV to Austin is likely.

“They most definitely will be in that top list,” Robinson said.

Davis is selling the 6-5, 290-pound Robinson on coming in and being an anchor for not just the defensive line, but a focal point of the defense overall.

“He was like, you come here, you’ll be the face of the defense. He said he really needs me on that defense. He said I’ll be the face of D-line, be a leader as soon as I get there,” Robinson said. “The rankings don’t matter, he said he thinks I’m the number one D-lineman in the country. That stood out to me as well.”

Conroe Oak Ridge defensive lineman Joseph Jonah-Ajonye made a well-deserved move into the Rivals250 this week, and the Conroe Oak Ridge standout could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Jonah-Ajonye moved to the US from Nigeria in 2015. His original love was basketball but after some coaxing by his uncle, he gave football a try in 2020, his freshman year of high school. That decision has paid off in a big way, with about 25 schools now having extended scholarships, including Texas.

Jonah-Ajonye is well-aware of UT’s history of producing talented players of Nigerian descent, and he follows the careers of a couple recent Longhorns pretty closely.

“Texas has done great, especially with people like Charles Omenihu and Joseph Ossai,” Jonah-Ajonye said. “I love Ossai. He came from Oak Ridge. Omenihu, I love watching him play too.”

Jonah-Ajonye lists schools like Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Auburn, Texas, K-State, Florida State, Notre Dame, Oregon and Oklahoma as programs that have caught his attention. He says distance won’t be a big factor. He’s trying to schedule a UT visit for March or April, and Texas will get a summer OV as well.

“To be honest, I just want to go where they can make me the best football player. It really doesn’t matter (with location). I’ll go anywhere that can make me the best,” Jonah-Ajonye said.

(Cole)

Texas offered a handful of running backs this week as Tashard Choice is leading the charge in the recruitments at that position. Among the running back offers that the Longhorns extended include Deondrae Riden Jr. of DeSoto in the 2025 class and Javian Osborne of Forney in the 2026 class.

Riden was the lead back for a DeSoto squad that won the state title this past season. He was a huge factor for the Eagles down the stretch, as he rushed for five total touchdowns over the final two weeks of the season.

Choice was in attendance for his performance in the state semis versus Denton Guyer. Now, Riden holds an offer from the Longhorns. It was something that he had been expecting for some time, so it didn’t come as a big surprise to the rising junior.

“It felt good (to get the offer),” Riden told OB. “I was actually waiting on it, so when I finally received it, I was excited.”

Although the primary focus is on the 2024 cycle, Choice has wasted little time in aggressively recruiting the DeSoto standout. The next step is getting Riden down to the 40 Acres, which is already being discussed.

“He was basically saying I had been offered a scholarship and he wants me to get down soon to see the campus and everything,” Riden said.

(Cole)

Javian Osborne, on the other hand, was a little more surprised to see the Longhorns extend an offer. Still early on his recruitment, Texas was a major program to jump into the early mix for Osborne.

“It was nice,” Osborne said of getting the offer. “It was really big for me. It kind of sets the standard of where I’m at now. I was excited and surprised. Like dang, I’m really here.”

Osborne rushed for 977 yards and eight touchdowns on 144 carries this past season. He averaged nearly seven yards per rush and just under 100 yards on the ground per game. That caught the eye of Choice.

“He was just saying how he likes my quickness and how he loves how I make the first man miss,” said Osborne.

The Forney ball carrier continues to add to his early offer sheet. TCU, Texas Tech, and Washington are other programs to already put an offer on the table with more expected to come soon.

(Cole)

Caden Durham put together an awesome season at Duncanville which resulted in his debut in the Rivals250 rankings. He also just added an offer from Texas this week as the Longhorns look to potentially add multiple backs in the cycle.

Durham has elite speed that showed up game after game. He out ran some of the fastest defenses in the state and scored three touchdowns in the state title win over North Shore to close out the 2022 season. Since he took over the backfield at Duncanville, Durham has emerged as a hot commodity.

Alabama and Oklahoma have jumped out in front of his recruitment and are the two teams that the Longhorns must overcome as they look to make up ground.

(Ketch)

With the release of the updated Rivals rankings for the Class of 2024, I thought I would provide an in-depth breakdown of where things stand for the players that Rivals currently has ranked as the top 20 prospects from the Lone Star State.

1. Colin Simmons - DE - Duncanville

Has Texas Offered: Yes

Things to Know: Texas got Simmons to visit four times in 2022, but it still feels like the Longhorns are playing catch-up behind the likes of LSU and Georgia. So far in 2023, he's visited Georgia and TCU. Getting him on campus a few more times in 2023 will be key if the Longhorns are going to come out on top.

Key Quotes: (1/9) “LSU feels like home. It feels like Texas honestly, it’s just a smaller place with the same diversity, same this and that. It clicks with me. That’s why I love it so much. Mr. Cain is going to coach you for real. He’s going to make sure you’re straight, you’re right. When you’re on the field, he’s going to push you to higher lengths.”

“Texas is coming at me hard. They’re trying to get me to come down there on the 21st and I’m considering it. I like Texas. It’s Texas. It’s a great place to vibe at.”

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "There has been a lot of chatter LSU is very high on Simmons’ list and he certainly has not denied that but Georgia, TCU, Texas and Tennessee are some early favorites to watch."

2. Micah Hudson - WR - Lake Belton

Things to Know: It seems like folks around the map still view Ohio State as the betting favorite, but the reality is that he's visited Texas 4 times since last June and he's only visited Columbus once. Maybe the Buckeyes are the favorite, but he just keeps coming back to Austin over and over.

Key Quote:
(1/22) “They’re still in my top list of schools,” Hudson said about Texas. “But I think it is very important to have a receives coach. That’s who you’re going to be sending your time with. As soon as they get a coach, I’ll hit them up or see if he hits me up.”

(from OB last summer): “I’ve liked Texas since i was little. I remember when they had Collin Johnson,” Hudson said. “I wanted to be like him. He was making big catches, and I wanted to be like that. I was in elementary school at recess practicing. It’s a good place, not too far from home. Coach (Brennan) Marion, he’s a good coach. He’s high energy, always trying to check up on me so that’s good.”

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "Ohio State is a school to watch for Hudson because of its success developing receivers but Texas is absolutely a real player along with Texas Tech because he has great relationships with the coaches in Lubbock. There are many others in the mix, too."

3. Justin Williams - LB - Conroe Oak Ridge

Things to Know: There was a sense last month that he was on the verge of committing to Oregon following his third unofficial visit there in the last six months, but he hasn't yet pulled the string. he visited Austin in January on an unofficial visit and the Longhorns are in the next tier of teams behind the Ducks.

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "Oregon is believed to be the leader and the Ducks might’ve been close to a commitment in recent months as Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio State and others battle to stay involved with the Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge linebacker."

4. Kobe Black - CB - Waco Connally

Things to Know: As far as I can tell, no school has received more visits in the last 13+ months than Texas, although Texas A&M and Oklahoma State (where his brother plays) are right on UT's heels. It feels like Texas has made up a lot of ground since the summer. Landing fellow Waco Connally star Jelani McDonald is absolutely a feather in UT's cap in this recruitment.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 1/26) “What stood out was just building a bond with the coaches. I liked everything, really. They showed me a lot and I learned a lot also. (And) just the family atmosphere. It’s like everybody (at Texas) is family. Everybody’s cool. You build great bonds with them because everything's great.”

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "Texas is probably the early front-runner for the Waco (Texas) Connally standout but his brother plays at Oklahoma State so that’s one to watch and then Oklahoma, LSU and Baylor are definitely very much in the mix."

5. D.J. Lagway - QB - Willis

Has Texas Offered: No

Things to Know: Lagway committed to Florida last month and seems pretty locked into his commitment at this point. Meanwhile, the Longhorns haven't offered Lagway, having locked into its own quarterback in the 2024 class with four-star Trey Owens.

6. Dre'lon Miller - WR - Silsbee

Things to Know: The Longhorns are in a trailing position for Miller at this point, with Texas A&M leading the way. The fact that Miller visited College Station and Duke last month on unofficial visits, while he hasn't visited Texas since last summer is a clue of where things stand. Miller plans on making a number of visits in the spring/summer and the Longhorns will likely be on the receiving end of one of those visits.

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "There are mixed signals coming out here because many feel Georgia has the slight edge for Miller but Texas A&M is definitely right there as well and Texas is also making it interesting for the Silsbee, Texas standout who had a big junior season."

7. Blake Frazier - OT - Vandergrift

Things to Know: The Longhorns are definitely in the mix for Frazier, but he's a Michigan legacy and the overwhelming consensus at this point across the map is that Michigan is the betting favorite. Still, he's planning future visits and is emerging as a national recruit after visiting Penn State (1/14), Texas (1/21) and Florida (1/28) last month. The Longhorns will need to continue to getting him on campus throughout the spring, considering he lives 20 minutes from the 40 Acres, if they are going to remain a major factor in his recruitment.

8. Taylor Tatum - RB - Longview

Things to Know: Tatum has been a priority recruit for Texas at the running back position, along with Jerrick Gibson and James Peoples. That being said, he's made 3-4 visits to both Oklahoma and Texas A&M in the last 12 months and he plans on visiting a number of national powers in the coming months.

Key Quotes: (Coming in a story this weekend on OB) "Ever since (Tashard Choice) offered me, he touches in on weekly basis. Lately, after being at the junior day, we try to talk every other day to just say what’s up. We’ve talked about track meets, baseball games, he’s talked to my parents, too … just building that relationship up."

"Me and my parents, we’re trying to get dialed down on some schools to see before summer ends. I’ll probably be down to a top, maybe 10 or 7, by mid-summer, maybe before that. But I’m just taking my time with it."

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "USC was the childhood favorite for the four-star running back from Longview, Texas with Michigan, Texas, Georgia, Ohio State and Alabama among the favorites as Tatum looks to focus on a more-select group coming up. After the dead period ends, trips are expected to Ohio State and Georgia which could further clear up which programs look best."

9. Xavier Atkins - LB - Humble Summer Creek

Things to Know: Atkins just moved to Texas from Louisiana in January and has been committed to LSU since July.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: "As a result of his newfound proximity to campus in College Station, Texas A&M has made a big push in recent weeks for Atkins, and it's being met with a large amount of interest from one of the more productive tacklers in the country from 2022. Ole Miss, Tennessee and Utah are other schools in heavy contact that are trying to get him on campus. Oregon is a program Atkins wants to see on an official visit this summer."

10. Nigel Smith - DE - Melissa

Things to Know: In the last 12 months, Smith has made 6 visits to Oklahoma and 4 to Ohio State. The good news is that he has visited Texas 3 times during that stretch, but the school he took a visit to last month during the Junior Day runs was Oklahoma. Yes, the Sooners are the betting favorite at this stage of the game, with the Buckeyes running second.

Key Quote (last spring to OB): “Whoever I think can get me coached up to that next level, get me to the league, and just make me the best that I can be. That’s where I will go. Every school is going to have nice facilities. Who is going to coach me and develop me to be the best man that I can be, not just think of me as just a football player?”

11. Payton Pierce - LB - Lucas Lovejoy

Things to Know: Pierce has visited Texas 6 times since 2001, while also visiting Baylor, Oklahoma, TCU and Texas A&M 4 times apiece. Depending on who you ask, either Notre Dame or Oklahoma are the likely leader, with a decision expected either later in the spring or in the early summer. A visit to Ohio State in March could shake things up, so keep an eye on that one. For as many times as he has been in Austin, the Longhorns feel like they are on the back end of his top 5.

Key Quotes (Via Rivals on 1/15): “I don't really want to speak for them, but they've kind of let me know that I'm kind of their top linebacker that they want,” Pierce told Inside ND Sports on Sunday. “They have a lot of offensive guys committed, and they really kind of need the defensive leader to commit and be the leader of that 2024 class.

“So, they let me know I'm that guy. If it ever happens or whenever it happens, I’ll be the guy.”

12. Xavier Filsaime - Ath - McKinney

Things to Know: The Longhorns aren't really involved at the moment and have not offered. Oregon is the school I would label as the betting favorite, but keep an eye on LSU and Oklahoma.

Key Quotes (Via Rivals on 1/22): "It's hard to explain, but the Alabama offer was huge. My coach called me and told me they were offering, and right then and there, I just lost it. I took a minute to celebrate with my teammates. As I see it, if Alabama decides to offer you, it proves your caliber in terms of being a ready-made player. I don't slow down my grind; it motivates me to improve my game. Let's say this Bama changes things in my recruitment."

"I have good connections with Oklahoma, LSU, Florida St, USC, Oregon, and Nebraska. Those aren't my top schools but have been catching my attention early."

13. Corian Gipson - S - Lancaster

Things to Know: Texas has to be the betting favorite when you consider that he has visited Texas 4 times in the last 13 months, more than twice as many visits as any other school he has visited. If there's a team to watch out for, it might be Alabama because Nick Saban and Co. seemed to open his eyes on a visit in late January. If you're the Longhorns, you'll want to get him back on campus in March.

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney last week: "A recent visit to Alabama went really well for the 2024 four-star safety from Lancaster, Texas and the message that he could be coached by the best and developed by them in Tuscaloosa was a compelling pitch while he was there. The Crimson Tide will be a team to watch but Texas is going to be right there as well along with Ohio State, Baylor and Oklahoma among others."

14. Ka'Davion Dotson - S - Duncanville

Things to Know: The Longhorns are definitely in the mix but the early betting favorite is LSU.

Key Quotes (Via OB on 11/27): “Just keep on recruiting me and coming after me,” Simmons said about what the Longhorns need to do. “Show me love every day. They’ll forever be in my heart.”

“Coach Gideon is my dog. He's a legend. I'd love to be coached by him," Dotson told OB. “I feel like Texas has a different culture (than his other contenders).

15. James Peoples - RB - San Antonio Memorial

Things to Know: The Longhorns are the betting favorite and if there's an in-state running back that seems most on the verge of jumping on an offer, it's got to be Peoples. He's mentioned a couple of times that staying close to home could be a priority for him, which might make OU and TCU the primary challengers for his commitment.

Key Quotes (Via OB on 2/5): “Coach Choice, that’s my running backs coach, my position coach, but he’s a great dude. He’s definitely someone I can see myself working with in the future by the way he handles things, handles himself takes priority to the person and not just you as a running back.

“The biggest thing for me is relationship building. Here at Texas, one thing they really did emphasize is that it really is about relationships, not just a logo or a brand. That relationship, I feel like it’s pretty solid with coach Choice and the rest of the program, and I feel really comfortable around the rest of the coaches, and the players as well.”

16. Ashton Funk - OL - Katy Tompkins

Things to Know: Funk committed to the Aggies in November and hasn't showed a lot of signs that he's looking to change that. Not that it really matters for the Longhorns, who are not one of the schools that have offered.

17. Maurice Williams - S - Pearland Shadow Creek

Things to Know: This dude freaking loves LSU, having visited 7 times since last April. He committed to LSU in the summer and has seemingly never looked back.

18. Aeryn Hampton - Ath - Daingerfield

Things to Know: Hampton is as pro-Alabama as it gets and if they'll accept his commitment, it would be a shock at this point if he goes anywhere else. Texas is still a school that he has a strong interest in, but the ship might have sailed after he de-committed in November.

19. Selman Bridges - CB - Lake Belton

Things to Know: It feels like his recruitment is just starting to take off because so many of his biggest offers have arrived in the last month or so. Texas is definitely in the mix, but when it looked like he was going to visit Texas in late January after visiting A&M the previous day, he went to TCU instead.

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney last month: "Early in his recruitment, TCU, Texas Tech and Baylor have stood out the most to the 2024 defensive back from Temple (Texas) Lake Belton but things could be significantly changing soon. That’s because Texas and Oklahoma have offered and recent days and both teams will definitely get a serious look from Bridges now as other Big 12 programs try to stay high on his list."

20. Zion Kearney - WR - FB Hightower

Things to Know: Kearney seems to be a future A&M commit in the making. At this point, the Longhorns aren't involved at all.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris last month: "The Aggies got in early with Kearney and have made him a priority at the wide receiver position. Official visits will determine quite a bit in this recruitment, but the Aggies will have the upper hand going in."

Attachments

• 1676596812354.png
    1676596812354.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 9,438
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews