ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room: (Guess what Quinn has been doing...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1678995828959.png
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS EXCLUSIVE OFFER FROM TEXAS CARD HOUSE

(From Anwar)

Quinn Ewers is not resting in his quest to become the nation’s best quarterback.

I previously reported that Ewers decided to approach this offseason with more passion and dedication than his first season at Texas. Ewers endured criticism from college football observers and media members for the team’s inconsistency in the passing game after he returned from a clavicle injury. Even though other players contributed to the problems within the passing game, many fingers were pointed at Ewers, and the quarterback never pointed one back.

One criticism from the 2022 season was Ewers’ decision to vacation in Mexico during spring break. Those close to the situation were critical of his decision to relax for nearly a week instead of focusing on the playbook and practicing on his own. That was the first time his work ethic was questioned at Texas.

Well, Ewers is not sitting poolside this week.

Instead, I was told Ewers has spent every day working out with quarterback trainer Jeff Christensen to improve as a quarterback. Christensen, who trains Patrick Mahomes, is working on helping Ewers improve in every area and has the quarterback throwing to receivers.

The latest example of Ewers’ rejuvenation is another example of what I previously reported:

“According to my sources, Ewers is striving to become the best quarterback in the country. He also wants to emerge as a player who could become a No.1 overall draft pick. Ewers believes if he can accomplish those goals, Texas will become one of the top teams in college football.

“Ewers has reached a revelation that should excite every Longhorn fan. He recently told some that he was gifted with the ability to play football at a high level. However, Ewers wants to prove he is the nation’s best quarterback by working harder and becoming a leader.

“Before the winter storm, Ewers was leading the offseason workouts. I was told Ewers was very focused and committed to developing a close rapport with his receivers. He organized separate workouts with receivers.”

“I think from a quarterback standpoint, Quinn had a really good winter,” Sarkisian previously said. “It’s like anything, he was essentially a true freshman this time last year for us. And, so there's a lot on his mind. It's like when the gears are moving, but there's no WD-40 in there. Those gears were grinding. It felt that way for him pretty much all year long.

“This winter, it just feels natural. He's throwing the ball well. I think he's emerging as a leader. I'm watching him break the team down. I'm watching him do those things, which is positive. And I think what he's done, he's serving for Arch and he this is what it looks like, and this is how to go about your business.”

Ewers has taken a business-like approach during spring break.

(Suchomel)

Waco Connally cornerback Kobe Black is one of the nation’s top prospects and as such, he has programs from all over the country vying for his commitment. Black has been a regular visitor to the UT campus during the recruiting process and Texas sits in a solid position, but he’s got a busy schedule of out-of-state visits planned for this spring.

“I know I’m going to Ohio State, Bama, LSU, USC and Oregon,” Black said.

Might he find time to squeeze in a quick trip to the Forty Acres?

“Most definitely. I’m trying to go for either a spring game or practice,” Black said.

The 6-1, 179-pound Black is looking to take a couple official visits and said he’ll then save some others for the fall. He should trim his list soon and Texas will almost certainly make the cut.

“I’m going to start narrowing down a little bit, probably in the summer. Maybe like 10 (schools), something like that,” Blake said. “I’m starting to narrow it down soon. That’s why I’m going to these places, seeing what I like.”

With Black wanting to save some official visits from the fall, you’d think a later decision is in the plans but he said that’s not necessarily the case. If he falls in love with some place, he said he’ll go ahead and make an early commitment.

“If I go somewhere and just love it, I’m going to commit. It’s more like whenever I feel like it, when I feel like it’s the right place,” Black said.

Texas has done a good job in this one but needs to keep getting Black on campus whenever possible. When he does visit, he said he feels a sense of comfort with the UT program and knows he’d be a good fit should he wind up choosing Texas.

“Everybody there’s like family. Everybody’s cool and just like open arms,” Black said. “So if I come down as a freshman, it’ll be open arms. I feel like I’m going to feel at home.”

Texas cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph has made a strong impression of his own with his brutal honesty.

“He always tells the truth. The first day I came in, when he offered me he was like, ‘I’m not going to lie to you, I’m going to try to look for somebody who’s better than you to take your spot.’ So he’s real,” Black said. “He’s open and I like that. I don’t like when people try to sugarcoat a lot of stuff.”

Black does have a former Connally teammate set to head to Austin in Jelani McDonald. That can’t hurt. He’s also friends with Texas freshman linebacker Derion Gullette. His brother plays at Oklahoma State but Black says he wants to make his own decision.

“No not really, not school wise,” Black said of his brother having an impact on his decision. “He knows what I’m looking for because he went through the recruiting process. But it’s not just because he goes there I’m going to go there.”

I did ask Black about the early projections that have Texas eventually winning out in his recruitment. He didn’t say those predictions were wrong, but says they’re a bit premature.
“They probably say that because I’ve been to Texas so much. I mean, maybe, but I don’t know yet,” Black said.

2025 linebacker Kelvion Riggins has a couple South Oak Cliff teammates that are/will be freshmen at Texas in Malik Muhammad (early enrollee) and Billy Walton (enrolling this summer). He said both players have told him life in Austin is good.

“Manny (Muhammad), he’s down there and he loves it. I see him on all their photos and stuff they’re doing for workouts. He really having fun, living the life,” Riggins said. “Yeah he loves it down there. … “Billy’s been going down there every other weekend. But yeah, Billy said he loves it too.”

Having Muhammad and Walton in Austin gives Riggins a unique perspective of the Texas program and he said he actually trusts their word as much or more as the things he hears from college coaches. The good news for Texas, it’s been all good reports so far.

“Of course (it matters), because coaches are going to say things but they’re going to tell me the actual truth because I played with them,” Riggins said. “I’ve built a bond with them so I’m going to get all the inside scoops.”

It’s still very early for Riggins and the Rivals250 member has plenty of early offers. He does have some schools standing out and the Longhorns are in that group.

“I’d say Texas, A&M, Tennessee, Ohio State, and Oregon - they all stay in communication with me,” Riggins said. “They make it seem like they want me on campus a lot and I’m just now trying to see how I fit those schools.”

Riggins said he stays in touch with Jeff Choate and Tashard Choice, and those two have let him know he’ll be a priority in the 2025 class.

“Every time they come in town, they make sure they get me down to talk to me and everything. They just love having me around,” Riggins said.

This spring, Riggins will be at Oklahoma on March 25. He’ll then visit Ohio State on April 1, Texas A&M and Notre Dame later in April. He doesn’t have any set plans for a Texas visit but said he may try to get to Austin if his schedule allows it.

“Texas, it’s always been Texas. It’s always been a dream school to me since I was little,” Riggins said. “Now I’m able to see it in person as I’m older, it’s good.”

We’ll be keeping watch next week to see what happens with defensive tackle Alex January’s visit plans.

Originally, January was scheduled to visit Oklahoma for the Sooners’ junior day but Bo Davis reached out this week and the family is now considering switching up its plans and heading to Austin next weekend.

Why is this important? Obviously, getting a guy on campus is always a big step in the right direction (and doubly important when you keep him away from a recruiting rival), but January is a priority target in a year when there’s not a lot of in-state depth at the defensive tackle position. With him being a UT legacy, this is a recruitment Texas really needs to win. Not to mention, landing January could help in the Longhorns’ efforts in recruiting other Duncanville products.

We’ll circle back this week to get an update when January finalizes his plans but a trip to Texas is potentially in the works. January is also slated to be in Austin for the Orange-White game.

(Cole)

Texas has a chance to sign another impressive DB haul.

The Longhorns inked a strong DB class in 2023, with Malik Muhammad, Derek Williams, Jelani McDonald, and Warren Roberson. Now, Texas has a real opportunity to repeat the success on the trail ahead of the move to the Southeastern Conference.

-- Jordon Johnson-Rubell has long been a Texas target, and he was just on campus this past week. Blake Gideon continues to push the right buttons in this recruitment, which looks to have Texas in front of the pack. He set an official visit for June 23.

-- Corian Gipson is somebody that I locked in a FutureCast prediction for this week. While he is not in a rush to make a decision yet, I really don’t see anybody else with a better chance than Texas to land the Lancaster four-star. Alabama and Ohio State are real contenders, but I think Texas wins out. He’s officially visiting during his birthday weekend in June.

-- Kobe Black has been a regular visitor to Texas, and I also like where the Longhorns sit in his recruitment. He visited for junior day in January and there’s a good chance that he is back on campus this spring. Oklahoma State is one team to watch with his brother up there. However, he’s talked about knowing a good amount of people at UT, including former teammates Jelani McDonald and Tre Wisner.

-- Selman Bridges has seen his stock explode over the last few months. He’s a long and lanky defender at 6’4 and he stands out from a mile away. Think Tariq Woolen of the Seahawks. Texas offered, along with Alabama and a host of others. A teammate of Micah Hudson, Bridges has emerged as a priority for the Longhorns.

-- Ka’Davion Dotson is another regular Texas visitor and he plans to be back on the 40 Acres later this month. LSU appears to be the team to beat, but Dotson noted that he talks to Gideon and Jeff Banks on a consistent basis.

-- David Kabongo was offered by the Longhorns last summer after showing out at a prospect camp. He also plans to be on campus by the end of the month. Kansas and Indiana are making big impressions. This will come down to where Texas has Kabongo on their board and if they opt to make a push on the Byron Nelson defender.

Loaded weekend of visitors coming

Texas is gearing up to host a loaded group of visitors on March 25 for their big junior day. Much of the names mentioned above will be on campus, as will some other major targets for the Longhorns.

Rivals250 linebacker Tyanthony Smith told OB that he is planning to be on campus for the event. He did admit that contact hasn’t been as consistent with the Longhorns as of late, but perhaps that picks back up following his visit. USC may be the team to beat at this point in the process.

Five-star Colin Simmons revealed that he will be down in Austin for that weekend, too. Texas is pitching Simmons and Dotson on playing together in college -- among other selling points, of course. Simmons is a game-changing talent that absolutely took over the state championship game in December.

When talking to OB, Simmons always talks highly of the Longhorns. They’ll be in the mix for the Duncanville standout until the end. That said, LSU looks to be out in front right now.

(Ketch)

It's been more than a month since I did a 30,000-foot view of the top players in the 2024 recruiting class based on the updated Rivals rankings.

It feels like time to reset the status of each player in the Rivals Top 20.

1. Colin Simmons - DE - Duncanville

Has Texas Offered: Yes

Things to Know: Texas will get Simmons on campus for the first time in 2023 later in the month (3/25), as part of a barnstorming tour before he takes his official visits. The schedule looks like this:

3/18 - Arizona State
3/25 - Texas
4/1 - Texas A&M
4/8 - USC
4/13 - Florida
4/22 - Colorado

Coming out of April, the goal for the Longhorns is to be among the 5 official visit he takes, which should be expected at this point, along with trips to LSU and Georgia. It wouldn't be a shock to see Florida grab one of those 5 visits as well.

Key Quotes: (1/9) “LSU feels like home. It feels like Texas honestly, it’s just a smaller place with the same diversity, same this and that. It clicks with me. That’s why I love it so much. Mr. Cain is going to coach you for real. He’s going to make sure you’re straight, you’re right. When you’re on the field, he’s going to push you to higher lengths.”

“Texas is coming at me hard. They’re trying to get me to come down there on the 21st and I’m considering it. I like Texas. It’s Texas. It’s a great place to vibe at.”

2. Micah Hudson - WR - Lake Belton

Things to Know: It feels like three teams are starting to emerge as the cream of the crop for Hudson - Texas, Texas Tech and Ohio State. If you're as Texas fan, you'd have to love this coming down to Texas vs. Tech, and that's not out of the realm of possibilities, but a return trip to Ohio State will occur at some point. As for the Longhorns, he's expected in before the end of the spring, whether it's on the 3/25 recruiting event or for the spring game. The fact that the Longhorns are in a very good spot with his Lake Belton teammate Selman Bridges is far from a bad thing. Still, Hudson hasn't yet had a chance to sit down with new Texas wide receivers coach Chris Jackson, so there's still some relationship building the Longhorns need to zero in on over the course of the next few months.

Key Quote: (3/9 via DCTF) "I've always been a fan of Texas football and things like that. I used to watch Collin Johnson, a big receiver, I used to watch his highlights all the time and the way he played. Texas is sexy. Texas has the best football, like this area. Having a good connection with Coach (Chris) Jackson, the new wide receivers coach that came from the Jaguars, we're building up that connection. I had a good connection with Coach Marion and unfortunately he left. But, yeah, (with) Coach Jackson, I'm just building a good relationship with him so far and Coach Sark, too. Coach, Sark, I get a call from him about every week or so. He's just checking in on me.., stuff like that. He's a good coach, he cares about his players and he just wants to make sure he has the best interests in his players. Also, seeing how he uses different people in the offense like that... Xavier Worthy... he moves him around and stuff like that. I can see myself being moved around. I'm kind of used to it right and feeel like I'll be able to adapt to it when I get to college."

3. Justin Williams - LB - Conroe Oak Ridge

Things to Know: The Longhorns probably need to get Williams on campus a few more times if they want to surge to the top of his list. Oregon and Alabama appear to have separated from the pack.

From Rivals analyst Adam Gorney this week: "There has been chatter that Oregon would be hard to topple for the high four-star linebacker from Conroe (Texas) Oak Ridge and that could definitely still be the case but now it could be a two-horse race after Williams visited Alabama. He loved the competitive atmosphere in Tuscaloosa and the supportive community but what really sold the Crimson Tide for him were his interactions with the players."

4. Kobe Black - CB - Waco Connally

Things to Know: The Longhorns continue to be the betting favorite, as no school has received more visits in the last 13+ months than Texas, although Texas A&M and Oklahoma State (where his brother plays) are right on UT's heels.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 1/26) “What stood out was just building a bond with the coaches. I liked everything, really. They showed me a lot and I learned a lot also. (And) just the family atmosphere. It’s like everybody (at Texas) is family. Everybody’s cool. You build great bonds with them because everything's great.”

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: "Waco (Texas) Connally four-star cornerback Kobe Black is taking his recruitment day-by-day and staying in heavy contact with a handful of programs that include USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Alabama and Texas.

Steve Sarkisian has taken Black's recruitment into his own hands and it has stood out to the high four-star enough to where Texas is the only program he knows he will take an official visit to this summer.

Black wants to find a home where he can play early and already established relationships with multiple coaches on staff."

5. D.J. Lagway - QB - Willis

Has Texas Offered: No

Things to Know: Lagway committed to Florida last month and seems pretty locked into his commitment at this point. Meanwhile, the Longhorns haven't offered Lagway, having locked into its own quarterback in the 2024 class with four-star Trey Owens.

6. Dre'lon Miller - WR - Silsbee

Things to Know: This looks like an A&M/LSU battle and the Tigers might have made up some ground on the leading Aggies. The Longhorns have other targets that are the priority focus and seem to be outside of his top 5.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: "Silsbee (Texas) four-star wide receiver Drelon Miller recently picked up a basketball offer from LSU as the Tigers continue to treat the Southeast Texas star like a priority. His visit to Baton Rouge last week reaffirmed its feeling as a potential home, according to Miller.

Texas A&M and USC are two other programs in hot pursuit as the Aggies have maintained positioning in his top two for the entirety of his recruitment. The Trojans continue to make him a top out-of-state priority.

Georgia was a program coming out of the fall that was a strong contender for Miller, but communication has dropped off in recent weeks from the Bulldogs."

7. Blake Frazier - OT - Vandergrift

Things to Know: Michigan continues to be the school to beat for this MU legacy prospect, but LSU is a team to keep an eye on and he's scheduled to visit Texas again later this month (3/25), which will be his second visit to the 40 Acres in two months. It remains to be seen whether the Longhorns can truly challenge the Wolverines, but as long as he keeps making trips to visit the Longhorns, Kyle Flood and Co. are in the battle.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: "Playing as a freshman and the whole concept of play early, graduate early and go to the NFL was an important message for Frazier during his recent trip to LSU. The four-star offensive tackle from Austin (Texas) Vandegrift had an excellent time in Baton Rouge and has really hit it off with that coaching staff after meeting with them multiple times. Frazier is a Michigan legacy though and it’s believed the Wolverines do sit in a strong position as the four-star looks to release a top five in April."

8. Taylor Tatum - RB - Longview

Things to Know: The Longhorns are losing ground in the race for Rivals' top running back in the state. Michigan might very well be the team to beat at this point, but a scheduled official visit to childhood-favorite USC shows that the Trojans are a priority for him as well. There's a good chance that the Longhorns can still snag an official visit, which would certainly keep them in contention, but there's ground to make up as things currently stand.

Key Quotes: (2/15) "Ever since (Tashard Choice) offered me, he touches in on weekly basis. Lately, after being at the junior day, we try to talk every other day to just say what’s up. We’ve talked about track meets, baseball games, he’s talked to my parents, too … just building that relationship up."

"Me and my parents, we’re trying to get dialed down on some schools to see before summer ends. I’ll probably be down to a top, maybe 10 or 7, by mid-summer, maybe before that. But I’m just taking my time with it."

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: "Longview (Texas) four-star running back Taylor Tatum has suddenly become one of the top backfield options in the country on the recruiting trail, and has a long list of programs in line for visits. USC has locked in his first official visit while Georgia, Texas A&M, Texas, LSU, Ohio State and more continue to increase attention on one of East Texas' top talents."

9. Xavier Atkins - LB - Humble Summer Creek

Things to Know: Atkins just moved to Texas from Louisiana in January and has been committed to LSU since July, but since moving to Texas his recruitment has opened up considerably, as he has visited Texas A&M and Arkansas, while more visits across the country loom. If the Longhorns want to get in the mix, there's probably time to do so, but at this point there's been almost zero mention of Texas from his lips.

10. Nigel Smith - DE - Melissa

Things to Know: The Sooners continue to be the team that is the betting favorite, while things seem to have hit a bit of a lull in his recruitment in the last month. If we had to guess an order of favorites at this point for Smith it might look like this: 1. Oklahoma 2. Ohio State 3. Texas A&M 4. Texas.

Key Quote (last spring to OB): “Whoever I think can get me coached up to that next level, get me to the league, and just make me the best that I can be. That’s where I will go. Every school is going to have nice facilities. Who is going to coach me and develop me to be the best man that I can be, not just think of me as just a football player?”

11. Payton Pierce - LB - Lucas Lovejoy

Things to Know: Pierce is still in the midst of taking a LOT of visits, as he told Rivals last week that he will visit Ohio State, Florida State (this week), Tennessee, Wisconsin and Michigan in the coming weeks. The Longhorns absolutely remain in serious consideration for the ILB prospect, as evidenced by the half-dozen times he's visited since 2021.

Key Quotes (Via Rivals on 3/7): “"After (his spring visits), I'll have everything I want to pick out which schools to take official visits to," he said. "I'll take those in the summer and then make a decision by my senior year.".”

12. Xavier Filsaime - Ath - McKinney

Things to Know: The Longhorns aren't really involved at the moment and have not offered. The smart money has him going out of state at the moment, with Georgia, Oregon, USC, LSU and Oklahoma leading the way.

13. Corian Gipson - S - Lancaster

Things to Know: There's a strong consensus that Texas is the team to beat for Gipson, who has only scheduled one official visit at this point... June 23rd in Austin. Ohio State, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma probably make up the rest of his top 5, with a visit to Oklahoma for its spring game lined up.

Key Quotes “The (UT) coaching staff (stands out) for sure. I just talked to coach Joseph a couple days ago. He wants me to get back to Austin before my official visit.

“Mostly, he was telling me about life after football. You work hard, but if you go to Texas and get a degree, you can get in anywhere.”

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris last week: "Lancaster (Texas) four-star safety Corian Gipson has set an official visit to Texas for June 23-25 as the Longhorns look to secure one of the state's top defensive back talents. Alabama is in the final stages of securing a June official visit as well, and Ohio State also remains deep in the mix.

TCU, Oklahoma and Nebraska have all remained in steady contact ahead of the spring as well. However, sources indicate that this one will come down to the aforementioned Alabama, Ohio State and Texas."

14. Ka'Davion Dotson - S - Duncanville

Has Texas Offered:
Yes

Things to Know: The Longhorns are definitely in the mix but the early betting favorite is LSU. Steve Sarkisian and Co. will have a chance to make up some ground when he visits Austin later this month.

Key Quotes (Via OB on 11/27): “Just keep on recruiting me and coming after me,” Simmons said about what the Longhorns need to do. “Show me love every day. They’ll forever be in my heart.”

“Coach Gideon is my dog. He's a legend. I'd love to be coached by him," Dotson told OB. “I feel like Texas has a different culture (than his other contenders).

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: Duncanville (Texas) four-star safety Ka'Davion Dotson has visits lined up to Texas and Arizona State in the coming weeks, but the feeling is that every program is running well behind LSU as the spring approaches.

The Tigers have had the state champ on campus multiple times, including in January, and the approach from the staff has been natural and calculated with Dotson and his family. Texas is in the mix at the top, but the Tigers have too comfortable of a lead here to believe he ends up anywhere other than Baton Rouge.

I've entered a new FutureCast in favor of LSU here."

15. James Peoples - RB - San Antonio Memorial

Has Texas Offered:
Yes

Things to Know: Nothing has really changed in the last month. The Longhorns are the betting favorite and if there's an in-state running back that seems most on the verge of jumping on an offer, it's got to be Peoples. He's mentioned a couple of times that staying close to home could be a priority for him, which might make OU and TCU the primary challengers for his commitment. His announced top six consists of Texas/OU, TCU, Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon.

Key Quotes (Via OB on 2/5): “Coach Choice, that’s my running backs coach, my position coach, but he’s a great dude. He’s definitely someone I can see myself working with in the future by the way he handles things, handles himself takes priority to the person and not just you as a running back.

“The biggest thing for me is relationship building. Here at Texas, one thing they really did emphasize is that it really is about relationships, not just a logo or a brand. That relationship, I feel like it’s pretty solid with coach Choice and the rest of the program, and I feel really comfortable around the rest of the coaches, and the players as well.”

16. Ashton Funk - OL - Katy Tompkins

Has Texas Offered:
No

Things to Know: Funk committed to the Aggies in November and hasn't showed a lot of signs that he's looking to change that. Not that it really matters for Texas, which isn'y one of the schools that have offered.

17. Maurice Williams - S - Pearland Shadow Creek

Has Texas Offered:
No

Things to Know: This dude freaking loves LSU, having visited 7 times since last April. He committed to LSU in the summer and has seemingly never looked back.

18. Aeryn Hampton - Ath - Daingerfield

Has Texas Offered:
Yes

Things to Know: The former Texas commit announced last week that he will take official visit to Texas and Alabama in June. It's also probably safe to say that LSU will be in his final mix of schools after his unofficial visit to Baton Rouge this week. Nebraska is yet another school that is under serious consideration.

19. Selman Bridges - CB - Lake Belton

Has Texas Offered:
Yes

Things to Know: The Longhorns are at the top of Bridges' list and he'll return for a second visit to Austin in 2023 later this month (3/25), but there's going to be a lot of competition for one of the players in the state whose stock is starting to soar in the last month. USC and one of its top recruiters (Donte Williams) will be a big factor after he spent a week in L.A. with his family this month. Still, the Longhorns represent the betting favorite at the moment.

20. Zion Kearney - WR - FB Hightower

Has Texas Offered:
No

Things to Know: A&M is the betting favorite, but LSU has entered the chat with a recent offer. Meanwhile, he's scheduled to visit Arkansas for his first official visit on June 2nd. Those three schools likely represent his top three.

Let's keep this going with a look at the Rivals Top 21 for the Class of 2025, which was updated this week.

1. Devin Sanchez - CB - North Shore

Things to Know: The Longhorns are the betting favorite as his recruitment starts to pick up in earnest. After visiting TCU last week, he'll visit Oklahoma on March 25th. Expect him to look at schools across the country before it's all said and done, but the Longhorns are in a very good position.

Key Quotes: (Via OB on 3/4) “The biggest thing I liked, when we were in meetings at the junior day, coach Joseph talked about how each cornerback is different, but you just play how you play. He was saying you can play how you play – if you want to play off, you can play off. If you want to pressure, you can pressure. You just have to know the defense we’re running and I feel like that was a big key.

“Oh yeah, Texas is in there.”

2. Dakorien Moore - WR - Duncanville

Things to Know: Texas is one of a number of schools that have already caught Moore's attention, along with Alabama, Oregon, LSU, Oklahoma and USC. The Longhorns might be an early betting favorite, but his recruitment is in its infancy stages.

3. D.J. Sanders - DT - Bellville

Things to Know: Visited the Longhorns in January and Steve Sarkisian and Co. are already all over Sanders. Look for the Aggies to also be a big factor in his recruitment, along with usual suspects - Alabama, LSU and Oklahoma.

Key Quotes:

4. Deyjhon Pettaway - CB - Katy Paetow

Things to Know: The younger brother of A&M player Daymion Sanford, the Aggies look like the early betting favorite in his recruitment, although Pettaway has mentioned Ole Miss, LSU, Oklahoma and Oregon as other schools that he is very interested in.

5. Andrew Marsh - WR - Katy Jordan

Things to Know: Marsh has visited Texas 4 times since January of 2022, which is likely a very strong indicator of where the Longhorns stand in his recruitment. Oklahoma (visited three times), Oregon (visited twice), and Ohio State (visited once) are three other schools that he mentioned as having strong interest in. He's also visited LSU 3 times.

Key Quotes: (Via OB last month) “I spent time with coach Sark and coach Banks. Their pitch to me was just that it’s close to home and they’re like a family. I talk to those guys a lot.”

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris last week: "Easily one of the top receivers nationally in the class of 2025, Katy (Texas) Jordan four-star wide receiver Andrew Marsh made multiple eye-boggling grabs over the weekend for Beast Mode Elite.

Texas and TCU have already hosted Marsh this offseason, while Oklahoma, Oregon, LSU and Houston are additional programs that have maintained strong contact. Still early in his recruitment, Marsh is prioritizing strong relationships with the head and position coaches."

6. Lamont Rogers - OT - Mesquite Horn

Things to Know: As far as I can tell, the Longhorns are the first bog-time program to get Rogers on its campus in 2023, which means his recruitment is likely at its birth, but the Longhorns will likely be heavily in the mix.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this week: ""Rogers backed up the physical profile with a stellar sophomore season in the Texas 6A ranks, showing off mobility and elite punch power. As Rogers continues to develop there is a real chance that he will be in five-star consideration before the end of his high school career. With already close to 20 offers, Rogers will have a national recruitment that will feature some of the top programs in the country."

7. Jacorey Watson - WR - Pearland Shadow Creek

Things to Know: The Longhorns were in on Watson early, but his primary contact was former WR coach Brennan Marion, which means that Watson is still developing a relationship with new WR coach Chris Jackson.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris this month: "His versatility and athleticism has more schools engaging interest, but a trio of in-state schools have done the best work so far. Texas, Houston and TCU offered early and are continuing to welcome him in for visits. Houston remains in a sneaky good position because of his proximity to home and wide receivers coach Daikiel Shorts Jr., who is one of the youngest position coaches in the country.

Colorado, LSU and Arizona State are programs he hopes to see in the summer, while Oregon is an offer he has dreamt of earning."

8. Tory Blaylock - RB - Humble Atascocita

Things to Know: If the last 12 months is any indication, expect a Texas/Texas A&M battle for Blaylock's services, as he has visited Texas three times and A&M four times in the last 9 months. Tennessee, Ohio State and Oklahoma also received visits last summer.

9. Deondrae Riden - RB - Texas

Things to Know: As OB reported this week, the offer from the Longhorns was a key one for Riden, but there's still a long way to go in his recruitment, as he mentioned A&M, Texas, USC, Oregon, TCU, SMU and Oklahoma State as just the tip of the iceberg with regards to schools that he has an interest in.

Key Quotes: (Via OB this week) “Man, I was excited. I was actually waiting on it. I had spoken with coach (Tashard) Choice like one time before that and he told me he was going to be back, and he kept his word.

“First of all, he produces good running backs. I’ve heard good things about him from Tre (Wisner), who’s going to be a running back at Texas. Johntay (Cook) told me a couple good things about him. I took their word and he’s a really good guy.”

From Rivals analyst Adam Friedman this week: "DeSoto (Texas) four-star running back Deondrae 'Tiger' Riden is a name that has circulated around Texas circles for years, going back to when he earned his first offer - from Utah - as an eighth grader. Despite entering his sophomore season as the No. 2 running back behind Texas signee Tre Wisner, Riden eventually took over the job and rushed for 1,354 yards and 18 touchdowns in helping lead DeSoto to the program's second state championship. The deep Texas ties at DeSoto will have the Longhorns in it, but USC, Texas A&M and Oregon are others that are making an impact early."

10. Gracen Harris - WR - Ennis

Things to Know: It might be too early to put a weight on any school being a leader because he's visited so few programs thus far, with Texas Tech the only recorded visit in 2023, although OU might be the early betting favorite.

From Rivals analyst Nick Harris earlier this month: "After notching his second 1,000-yard campaign in as many seasons, while also flashing elite route running skills and downfield threat ability, Harris is deserving of being deep in the conversation of the top receivers in Texas. A dozen schools have already thrown in offers, with Oklahoma being the early standout."

Attachments

• 1678995828959.png
    1678995828959.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11,832
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News