ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (Post-LSU buzz + Roschon's rise + 2021 recruiting overview + G. Brown)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001

* Texas Card House is now open at noon every day!

* Follow @TexasCardHouse on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter for all the details!

* Texas Card House just opened their new place in Houston! At I-45 and Spring Cypress Road, the new Texas Card House features a full bar and all the great poker action and team you know and love from Austin. Check out their events calendar at tch.cards/houston, get their SMS updates by texting "TCHHTX" to 33-222, or just stop by any day of the week! Ask for General Manager Mike Major; he'll help you get set up with membership, a tour of the club, and introductions to staff and members.

(From Anwar)

Prior to Louisiana Tech and LSU, my sources said they detected a quiet confidence from the players heading into those games.

They sensed the players were confident during practice. Each person on the team believed they were ready to play Louisiana Tech. The guys had an extra pep in their step before LSU. During the previous two seasons, my sources were always cautiously optimistic prior to games. However, this is the first year people inside the building detected so much confidence before a contest.

Of course, the loss to LSU occurred and Texas is 1-1 as it prepares to play against Rice on Saturday.

I wanted to know what the vibe was like in practice this week prior to playing another game.

Clearly, it was easy for the Longhorns to get up for the season opener. Even if it was Louisiana Tech, the Longhorns were motivated to play their first game of the 2019 season. It did not take much to get this team pumped out to face LSU last week.

Rice just does not move the needle for most people.

However, there is good news to report.

My sources told me they believed this team has rebounded from the disappointing loss against LSU, and the Longhorns had a good week of practice.

From what I was told, there was a lot of energy in practice throughout the week. The staff appears to be very pleased with how the team has put LSU in the rearview mirror.

In fact, Texas football coach Tom Herman confirmed what I heard through my sources.

“We talked about it Tuesday in the team meeting, if we don't put that one behind us … hopefully everybody had already done that by Tuesday, but we can have no lingering effects from that,” Herman said. “Because at the end of the day, Rice doesn't care whether we won or loss that game, and they're going to give us their best shot, which is pretty good. Was really proud of our guys for locking in during the week.”

Here are a couple of nuggets worth passing along to you.

--- I previously reported running back Daniel Young could play against Rice on Saturday, but Roschon Johnson’s performance against LSU has solidified his position as the backup running back, according to my sources. I was told Johnson has earned more carries because of his recent performance. From what I can tell, the backup position is probably his until Jordan Whittington returns. However, if Johnson continues to improve, it will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

--- Speaking of running backs, Kirk Johnson sustained a shoulder injury during training camp, but that is not the biggest problem right now. I learned Johnson has a rib injury that is preventing him from playing at the moment. Since Johnson’s rib is still tender and cannot be touched, he cannot practice. If all goes well, there is a chance Johnson could return after the bye week.

--- Texas defensive end T’Vondre Sweat has looked good in practice and could see an increase in playing time. Keep an eye out for Sweat.

--- The Longhorns had several unofficial visitors for the LSU game, and I was told the feedback from recruits was extremely positive: “They loved the atmosphere. Some people who have been going to games for 20 and 30 years said it was the best game day atmosphere they had seen. When it comes to recruits, they have to feel the energy. As long as you’re competitive, they see it. The final score is a bit irrelevant to them. It’s about seeing things on the field that interest me, and are they competing with the big boys in college football, and obviously we are.”

(From Suchomel)

James Brockermeyer was one of a large number of prospects who was at last week’s LSU game, and the 2021 offensive lineman said it was great to take in a game with such a lively atmosphere.

“I thought it was really cool to see a primetime game in DKR,” Brockermeyer said. “There was a lot of hype going into it. I thought it was cool to see a packed stadium, all the students, College GameDay there, really cool to see how the environment could be.”

There’s been speculation on whether or not James and his brother Tommy might consider giving Texas an early commitment ever since the Longhorns extended offers to both players. Both brothers have consistently said they were going to take their time with the process, but I asked James if there’s ever a time when he gets caught up in the environment for a second while at a game like Saturday night’s and considers pulling the trigger.

“I wasn’t going up there with any thoughts about committing. I’m just sticking to my plan,” James said.

So when might a decision happen?

“Definitely before the season starts my senior year, that would be the deadline,” Brockermeyer said.

Upcoming, Brockermeyer said he plans on attending the Auburn-LSU game in Baton Rouge. He and Tommy are also looking at attending a Michigan game, and James said they’d like to get to a Clemson game as well if they can work it into their schedule.

With Tommy on the shelf (likely for the season) with a shoulder injury, James has slid from center out to left tackle, where he’s getting a chance to show his varied skill set.

“It’s really interesting. I’m having fun with it, but it just gives you a broadaer understanding of the offensive line,” Brockermeyer said. “I’ve never done it before, so it’s cool to go experiment with different positions and show your versatility.”

During the unofficial visit to Texas last weekend, Brockermeyer got some time talking to the UT coaches before and after the game. The UT staff was understandably disappointed with the loss, but the message was still positive.

“I talked to coach Hand, coach Orlando before the game. After the game, I talked to coach Beck and coach Hand,” Brockermeyer said. “Everyone was pretty emotional after the game, but they were just talking about how hard everyone fought, how those are the kinds of guys you want to be around, no quit. It was more about the character and culture they have.”

Texas holds the number one-ranked recruiting class in the 2021 group and while the coaches haven’t used that as a recruiting pitch, Brockermeyer said he’s well-aware of the success UT has had with the guys in his class.

“Its’ hard not to take notice of it. Every time I open my phone, Twitter, it’s blowing up with Texas commits,” Brockermeyer said. “I do take notice of it. It’s cool to know if I came to Texas, I would be playing with some really good players.”

It’ s no secret that the Longhorns will be strong contenders in this one with the ties the Brockermeyer family has to the UT program, but James said again that he’s keeping an open mind and taking his time with the process.

“They’re definitely still up there at the very top of the mix. I’m still very high on Texas,” Brockermeyer said. “I look forward to continuing to build my relationship with them.”

Rivals100 defensive lineman/linebacker Landon Jackson is off to a fast start to the 2019 season, and the 2021 standout was in Austin last weekend for the big game. Like every other prospect I’ve talked to that was there, Jackson said he enjoyed everything about the experience.

“It was a really good experience going to a game like that with a really good atmosphere. I thought Texas played pretty well that game,” Jackson said. “They’re both really great teams, both played dominant. It was good getting to see a few of the coaches again, keep building that relationship with them.”

Jackson spoke with Oscar Giles before the game and Todd Orlando after the game. The coaches stressed to Jackson that the Longhorns are continuing to build the program back to an elite level, and he could be a key part of that process.

“Really they were just saying that they have something going, something brewing in Austin,” Jackson said. “Every game, they keep getting better and better, by the time my class gets there, they’re expecting to be making a run at a national championship.”

Jackson has an official list of 10 schools that are in the mix, but there’s a growing buzz that the Longhorns could be surging in this one and just might be challenging for the top spot. Jackson doesn’t have a firm deadline for when he’d like to decide, but said a commitment will probably come before he starts his senior season.

“(Texas is) definitely in my top schools. I’m really considering them heavily right now,” Jackson said. “I don’t’ really have a timeline. I’m going to say, right now, I’m mainly looking around towards the end of next summer.”

I spoke with both Jackson and his Texarkana Pleasant Grove teammate Marcus Burris (more on him in a second) about the possibility of playing together in college. They’d both love it if it worked out that way, but both Jackson and Burris said they’re not going to force the issue if it doesn’t feel right.

“We’re not going to follow each other, but if both of us are comfortable at the same school, then we’ll probably go to school together,” Jackson said.

In weeks one and two, the 6-6, 240-pound Jackson has won the Texarakana Gameday defensive player of the week in the first two weeks of the 2019 season. In two games, he’s combined for 5 sacks and 17 tackles. A versatile defender with a rare combination of size and speed, colleges are talking about using Jackson in a variety of ways.

“Most of the schools are talking about a b-backer, really just a stand up end or bigger backer who covers tight ends, running backs, things like that. I like that,” Jackson said.

As mentioned above, Texarkana Pleasant Grove defensive end Marcus Burris was at the game last week along with teammate Landon Jackson. Like Jackson, Burris said it was a tremendous experience.

“It was crazy. I’ve never seen a crowed like that. They were going crazy. LSU brought the fight too. Definitely, it was a great game,” Burris said. “What really impressed me about LSU, coming to Texas and kind of taking over with a crowd like that. That definitely would have distracted me a bit, but they came out with the W. Texas came out as an underdog, but played well, played hard.”

Burris, a Rivals250 member, got a chance to talk to the Texas coaches during the visit.

“They were just saying thanks for coming, apologized for not pulling out the win. I was happy about how they showed out and fought though,” Burris said.

The only upcoming college game Burris (and Jackson) have on their itineraries right now is the Alabama-A&M game in November.

The 6-4, 262-pound Burris said he doesn’t have a formal list of schools he’s considering, but after what he saw in Austin last week, the Longhorns should figure into the mix.

“I don’t really have a list right now, but after seeing the fans they have behind them, that definitely plays a big role on the school I want to go to. That has a big impact,” Burris said.

Most of the early buzz with Burris favors Texas A&M as the early leader, but Burris said that talk is overstated.

“I guess you could say people say that because I’ve been there more, but I really haven’t had time to visit other schools too much,” Burris said. “I’ve visited them the most. They’re a great program, but I don’t have any leaders, just want to take it slow.”

What a first Texas game for UT safety commitment Jerrin Thompson to take in. He was at last week’s contest and said he was blown away with what he saw.

“That was my first game. It was live. I’ve never been to an atmosphere like that,” Thompson said. “I just know Texas, their fan base is crazy. I kind of expected it, knowing who they are.”

And how does Thompson feel about his Texas commitment after last weekend’s visit?

“I’m locked in. I’m not going anywhere,” he said.

The Lufkin product spent time talking to Prince Dorbah on the visit and got a chance to talk to his position coach, Craig Naivar, after the game.

“I talked to coach Naivar after the game. He was mad. He was just talking about how they need to play better, need to execute better,” Thompson said. “He said they need to play better, clean up some simple mistakes.”

Last week, Thompson jumped a route and took an interception back 77 yards for a pick-6. He continues to hear from a few other schools despite his Texas commitment, but he said he’s let those coaches know he’s “locked in.”

“I’m glad that I got it out of the way. I’m just happy I found a place I can fit in, a place that wants me and I’m excited to get there,” Thompson said.

(Ketch)

Nearly two months have passed since we last did our overview of the 2021 class based on the current Lone Star Recruiting Top 20.

In a quest to become the third-favorite mod, I give you the section that should make you smile the most, given that six of the top 15 have already committed to Texas, while no other school has a single Top 15 commitment.

1. Tommy Brockermeyer (OL - Fort Worth All Saints)

Has Texas offered: Yes

Where UT Stands: You can't ever take anything for granted in life, not even Brockermeyer's future commitment to Texas, but his dad is a former All-American, his older brother is already in the Texas program (should have eligibility through 2022) and he'll be able to play with his bother James (No.39 on the 2021 LSR list) if he desires to do so. Brockermeyer continues to maintain a very open mind as it relates to recruiting and he seems to be checking out all of the bog boy programs around the country, but it would represent a major upset if he doesn't end up at Texas.

Recent Quote: (Saturday night following his visit to Austin for the Texas/LSU game):"Hard fought game on both sides! Loved the atmosphere tonight. Could have gone either way but I'm happy I was able to be there and experience the game."

2. Savion Byrd (OL - Duncanville)

Where UT Stands: Byrd has visited Texas twice in the last 50 days and while he doesn't do a lot of interviews, when he does he speaks glowingly of the Texas program to say the least. Following the Texas Heat Wave event, he indicated that the vibe he's feeling with the Longhorns is on another level from the other schools that are recruiting him. Texas is the betting favorite.

Recent Quote: (Saturday night following his visit to Austin for the Texas/LSU game): "Electric." ... and when I told him thanks ... "Yessir. Hookem"

3. Camar Wheaton (RB - Garland Lakeview Centennial)

Where UT Stands: Wheaton followed up his unofficial visit to Austin in August with another visit this past weekend for the LSU game. Wheaton has every big boy program in the country chasing him, but the fact that he keeps visiting Austin over and over again, while always positioning Texas in an incredibly positive light, suggests that the Longhorns are in great shape. Personally, I Futurecasted him to Texas earlier this week.

Recent quotes: (Following his unofficial visit to Texas last month) “It was very good. I got to see basically everything. They took me around the whole school. I felt like I’m already a player at the school.

“Overall, I like it. I love it.”

4. Preston Stone (QB - Dallas Parish)

Where UT Stands: The Longhorns offered Stone early in the recruiting process, but the commitment of Jalen Milroe has deadened UT's pursuit of Stone, who hasn't been offered by Oklahoma and probably isn't a target for Texas A&M. You'd think he'll almost certainly be heading out of state. He's kind of out of sight, out of mind at the moment from a burnt orange position.

5. Tunmise Adeleye (DE - Katy Tompkins)

Where UT Stands: Once upon a time, Adeleye called Ohio State his "dream school", while also listing Alabama as his leader earlier this summer, but he's also visited Austin several times this year (including this past weekend for the LSU game). As it stands, Alabama and Texas A&M are probably the slight frontrunners, with Texas likely ranking just a smidge below them, followed by the likes of Oklahoma and Ohio State. It's really anyone's game at this point it seems.

Recent Quote: "Before (Texas) offered (teammate) Jalen (Milroe), they were always adamant they wanted me. I feel like if they continue to make that push then I have to consider them. They're one of the early teams to offer me as well. I got a lot of ties to the school with players and recruits committed there, so it'll be hard not to look at them and consider them carefully."

6. Ja'Tavion Sanders (DE - Denton Ryan)

Has Texas offered: Yes (Committed to Texas)

Where UT Stands: Sanders committed to the Longhorns at the LSU game and seems absolutely over the moon with his decision. He's currently the highest-ranking commitment in the Texas 2021 recruiting class.

Recent Quote:
"I would like to say I am 100-percent committed to The University of Texas."

7. Jalen Milroe (QB - Katy Tompkins)

Where UT Stands: The Longhorns landed its quarterback and Pied Piper this summer in Milroe, who seems to have a hand in every recruitment the Longhorns are engaged in, especially in the Houston area.

8. Landon Jackson (DE - Texarkana Pleasant Grove)

Where UT Stands: This has Longhorns vs. Aggies vs. Razorbacks written all over it. A lot of people in the Texarkana region are confident in Texas' chances, but if you talk to Aggies fans, they think they're going to get him and the same is true of folks that follow the Arkansas program. The fact that the Longhorns were able to get Jackson on campus last weekend for the LSU game had to leave a positive impression for Tom Herman and his staff.

Recent Quote: “The schools I’m still talking to regularly right now are Arkansas, Texas and Texas A&M. I just have to build my relationships with everyone else.”

9. Bryce Foster (OL - Katy Taylor)

Where UT Stands: This looks like another Longhorns vs. Aggies battle royal in the making. Texas A&M is generally considered the betting favorite because of his family's connections to the school (Mom is an A&M grad), but the Longhorns seem to have some momentum going in his recruitment and it won't hurt that the Longhorns have a commitment from teammate Hayden Conner and cross-town friend Jalen Milroe. It's going to take a lot of work to pull this off, but it's not Mission Impossible.

Recent Quotes: On Texas: "I know me and (teammate Hayden Conner) played with each other since fifth grade. It's something where we've always played next to each other and he's trying to get me to try to continue that into college. I have to choose for myself based on what I want to do and what interests me the most. I'm trying not to let outside sources influence me on where I want to go, but Texas, they're really high up there. Coach (Herb) Hand has been recruiting me since the summer before my ninth-grade year. It's crazy to think it's been going on for three years of knowing each other. It's pretty cool and we have a pretty good relationship."

On Texas A&M: "They're close to home and I can literally go there any weekend I want to go there. It's cool to have a relationship with someone like Coach (Jimbo) Fisher and Coach (Jim) Henson. Getting to talk to them every once in a while is cool and the fact they're so close ... like an hour away."

10. Clayton Smith (LB - Texarkana Texas High)

Where UT Stands: The Longhorns are the early betting favorite, as Tom Herman and his staff have done the best job of establishing a relationship, according to Smith in an interview on Rivals earlier this summer. Oklahoma made a massive impression on Smith and, perhaps more importantly, his mother, when they visited Norman in August. Texas A&M, Arkansas and LSU are probably the other schools that will significantly factor in his recruitment.

Recent Quote: "Texas is the same as always. I love it down there and it feels like home to me. With the coaches, it's a good place to be. I camped at SMU and they (Texas) came to see me there. They had already been recruiting me for a while, so I knew it was coming. My fit in their defense would be as a B-backer. Coach (Todd) Orlando and I discussed it."

11. Hayden Conner (OL - Katy Taylor )

Has Texas offered: Yes (Texas commitment)

Where UT Stands: Connor has settled in as one of the foundation pieces of the 2021 class for the Longhorns.

Recent quote: "It's definitely a different world than being recruited. Now, I'm looking from the outside looking in. I know what to say now to get people to come ... 'We got this and we got that' and it's more of a family thing and making connections with people. The pitch is about academics at Texas. They're top-10 or top-five in everything. That's what I always start off with. If you're deciding between LSU and Texas, come on now. The academics at Texas are way better ... that's what I sell guys on; the academics are Texas are, hands down, the best."

12. Quay Davis (WR - Dallas Skyline)

Has Texas offered: (Yes - Texas commitment)

Where UT Stands: The state's current top-rated wide receiver prospect in the 2021 class was the first 2021 commitment for Herman and Co.

Watch this:
https://twitter.com/peopleschamp87/status/1170172834448101376

13. Donovan Jackson (OL - Houston Episcopal)

Where UT Stands: With the likes of Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and Ohio State all knocking down his door, the hand to hand combat to sign Jackson might be as intense as any recruitment in the state. While there was once a feeling that Stanford would be really tough to beat if he ends up taking an official visit (both of his parents are educators), the Longhorns have quietly been making a move in his recruitment, so much so that Rivals analyst @samspiegelman FutureCasted for Texas last week.

14. Billy Bowman (Ath - Denton Ryan)

Where UT Stands: Bowman committed to Texas recently and with teammate Ja'Tavion Sanders in the fold, he's locked in.

15. Derrick Harris (LB - New Caney)

Where UT Stands: Part of the summer commitment heat wave for the Longhorns.

Recent Quote: “It was just how coach (Todd) Orlando and coach (Tom) Herman were when I went up there. How they showed me the resources they have,” Harris said. “It’s not just football. That’s one of the main reason (for picking Texas) is because it’s not all about football. Texas showed me how I can go there, after football can you become a CEO of a company and just become a better person overall.”

16. Jaeden Roberts (OL - North Shore)

Where UT Stands: The Kansas transplant seems to have an awesome relationship with the Kansas State coaches, but as his recruitment starts to really take off, it's hard not to wonder if he's going to simply be too big-time for the Wildcats. After camping at Texas A&M and LSU in June, it's been kind of quiet on the Roberts front. The Longhorns haven't appeared to be a huge factor in his recruitment at this point, which means A&M and LSU could be the primary two to watch moving forward. Or Kansas State might prove to be what he wants. We'll see.

17. Latrell McCutchin (CB - Austin LBJ)

Has Texas offered: Yes (Alabama commitment)

Where UT Stands: McCutchin barely waited a day after camping at Alabama in June before jumping on his offer and giving a verbal pledge to the Crimson Tide. Although things have been very quiet on the McCutchin front since his commitment, you'd have to think that his recruitment might have some twists yet to come, especially since he lives about 15 minutes from the Texas campus. Maybe he'll never look back now that he's committed, but a lot of recent history shows that there's a very likely chance that his recruitment isn't over.

18. Eli Stowers (QB - Denton Guyer)

Has Texas offered: No (Texas A&M commitment)

Where UT Stands: The Longhorns prioritized other quarterback targets in this class over Stowers, who has committed to Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies. .

19. Shadrach Banks (WR - North Shore)

Has Texas offered: Yes (Committed to Texas A&M)

Where UT Stands: Banks committed to the Aggies on August 1st and seems pretty locked into his decision. In a year where A&M is currently getting dominated, this is one of the few bright spots for the Aggies in 2021, at least if we're talking about Top 20 in-state kids.

20. Latrell Neville (WR - FB Hightower)

Where UT Stands: Oklahoma and LSU both did a good job of catching Neville's attention this summer, but with Neville has been in Austin a couple times of late (including last weekend). If Texas pushes here, the Longhorns could very well win out.

Recent Quote: (Following his visit to Austin for the LSU game last weekend) "It was great! Texas played hard and never gave up."

(McComas)

Last week, prior the weekend’s official visit, former UT defensive back Greg Brown II joked he and his son, five-star 2020 hoops prospect Greg Brown III, already visited Texas 100,000,000 times. But he also said, basically, said why wouldn’t they take an official visit?

Fortunately for Texas, they did.

“It was really good. We had a great time. Yeah, they definitely helped themselves this weekend,” responded Brown when asked if the official visit improved Texas’s positioning for his son. “Jai Lucas in particular did a wonderful job taking care of us and our family and made sure we were where we needed to be… I think it really helped them long-term. It’s going to come down to some things that we want to see from each program during the season. We want to see what Texas does and how the guards play because I think that will be a great impact on our decision. We want to see how all these teams we’re looking at do.”

Previously, Brown has described the decision-making process, when it begins, to include him, his son, and the small group of people he trusts to help. He said Friday he, his son, and his family and friends watched practice. On Saturday, the five-star from Vandegrift did a photo shoot and played some pickup.

“It was mostly about his 10-month plan for Greg at the end of the day,” said Brown about the conversation with Smart. “I don’t tend to ask a whole lot about what a person or coach would do… maybe give some insight into what you think, but you don’t know what you’re going to do until he gets there. Other than that, you’d be lying to me. Coaches coach to keep their jobs. That’s kind of our approach to all this. We do try to get insight into what they’re thinking because some coaches may want him as a 4/5 or a 3/4 just depends on the coach. Coaches that more less that want him at a 4/5 probably haven’t watched him enough.”

When I asked Brown if Texas was recruiting his son as a 3/4, he responded, “no doubt.”

Brown’s approach to helping his son navigate this process is refreshing. Rather than ask about or buy into a specific plan about how his son would be used, he knows some coaches simply try to promise things but will ultimately do what they have to do.

Before Saturday’s game, the hoops visitors, Brown and DJ Steward, met Tom Herman. The former UT defensive back joked that Herman didn’t recognize him at first, but when he reminded coach it was “GB,” the Texas head coach lost his mind and went crazy as he embraced the former Texas player.

“We did get a chance to talk to Tom before the game. I was ready to run out the damn locker room. I touched the Bevo horns and ran out the locker room and forgot I didn’t have pads on,” joked Brown. “It brought back memories of when I played here. I was really proud of the team.”

Brown said he had no doubt if Texas got the ball back it was going to score, and let's just say he's with the majority on 3rd-and-17.

As for what he thinks after seeing the Longhorns practice, he offered this:

“It was good. I thought they competed at a high level. I can tell who the freshmen were quickly. It didn’t take very long to tell that. I thought they… I think they’re going to be something to be reckoned with this year. I think they’re going to shock some people,” he said. “I think they have three tough guards the third one being Andrew Jones if he can come back and play. Him Matt Coleman and Courtney Ramey. I think that’s a pretty good three-headed monster.”

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News