ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (The latest on NIL... reasons for concern?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1625799507035.png

(Ketch)

Let's start off with some NIL discussion, since it has absolutely been the story of the week.

I had a chance to talk with a few people in the Texas athletic department this week, including a key member of compliance, in an effort to get a better understanding of the rules and expectations for this new world that exists.

Based on my conversations, I wouldn't get overly troubled by the fact that very few Texas athletes at this point have announced major sponsorships/partnerships in the first eight days of this month. Sources have told me that several Texas football players are in the midst of striking sponsorship deals in the coming days/weeks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of anxiety that things aren't occurring at a faster rate.

At this point, Texas volleyball stars Jhenna Gabriel and Logan Eggleston have signed deals with Degree, while Texas softball player Lauren Burke signed a deal with Barstool Sports, but that's been the extent of the major partnerships.

In talking with various sources, it sounds like Texas compliance is reviewing quite a few different contracts for athletes across all sports and that a number of sponsorship deals will become public once the contracts are vetted by Texas compliance members.

Some details that are critical to know.

1. While the Longhorns have created the LEVERAGE program for its athletes, the school is not allowed to broker deals for its athletes. It can only certify and somewhat police what deals are made for its athletes, but they are limited in the work that they can do for Texas athletes.

2. It's up to each Texas athlete to broker a deal with a potential sponsorship and only when it's time to review the deal does Texas compliance get involved. This was something that a lot of people missed, but in an exclusive interview with Orangbeloods two weeks ago, Texas Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director Drew Martin outlined it for everyone in our War Room.

“If you read the state law, the university and its affiliates, so think Learfield [IMG College], think Longhorn Network, those types of groups,” Martin said. “We can't have anything to do with the actual connection between student-athlete and Company X. The onus, the way that the bill is written, the student-athlete needs to inform the University of the deal and the deal points. So really, it's Company X to Athlete Y, Athlete Y to the university to have clarity on what's being asked. Does is it fit within the rules? Does is it fit within the parameters? All of that stuff. It puts a lot of strain on your compliance department that now is going to have to review and assess whether or not these are within the guidelines within the bounds of the law.

“That's all in the leverage education process right now,” Martin said. “We've been going through is to try to educate our student-athletes on evaluating deal proposals. We can walk all the way up to that line, but the way I understand it, the way the law is, because of the lack of involvement that the university can have on these deals, we can't look at a deal, and say, ‘Oh, Anwar, they're offering you that 1000 bucks, but really you should be getting $100,000 off it. We can’t be involved in any of that. Helping them to evaluate deals? No. We wouldn't be able to do that. What we’re doing is trying to educate them on the front end of how to evaluate. Things to look for in deals. But specifically, my understanding is we can't have anything to do with that because that can be viewed as negotiating the deal. That would be off-limits according to the law.”

3. One of the biggest things that the Longhorns athletic department is trying to do is get a full mastering of all of the various state laws that each of its athletes must work in compliance with. The rules in Texas are different than the rules in the state of Oklahoma, which means that it's possible that athletes from California (or other states) can work under a different set of parameters than Texas.

The Longhorns athletic department is 100-percent focused on following Texas state law to the letter of the law.

4. The Texas football coaches have been on vacation this week, which means that it is very possible that a number of deals are being held up while the coaches enjoy a little down time.

"These coaches have no idea what is waiting for them when they get back," one Texas official joked with me over the phone this week. "They really don't have any idea. This week has been crazy and when they get back, they'll find out in detail."

By all accounts, Texas quarterback Maalik Murphy performed very well at last week’s Elite 11 competition, coming away with praise seemingly every day for his showing as a passer, but also for his character, personality and leadership. Can’t say we’re overly surprised, but it was good to see Murphy go out and have success in front of some very scrutinizing eyes.

Murphy said he came away satisfied with his performance and he simply went out there and tried to perform at his best.

“I really came in with the mindset to come in, compete, do my best and leave it all out there. I wasn’t really focused too much about who was around, who was watching,” Murphy said. “More just doing my best, producing on the field, paying attention to detail and just giving it my all in every aspect.”

There weren’t a ton of Texas targets at The Opening, aside from a couple 2023 players, but Murphy continues to work on some of the uncommitted players he met during his official visit to UT a couple weeks ago.

“Evan Stewart, I’m trying to get him back in the boat for sure. He was committed to us so I’m trying to get that back going. And a couple more linemen. DJ Campbell for sure,” Murphy said. “Those are the main ones at the moment.”

As for what stood out about his Texas official visit, the only official visit he’ll take …

“Everything really. Being able to be in person with the coaches and other recruits was amazing,” Murphy said. “The dead period was so long. It was a relief to finally be around them, at the stadium, on the field, in the skybox. Everything was just a true experience and a gift to have.

“It was cool. We had a pool party. I was able to meet a couple players that are on the team already. That was really cool, getting to say what’s up to them, introduce myself, tell them that I’ll be coming in soon since I am graduating early and enrolling at Texas in January.”

Murphy said he plans to return to Austin for at least one game in the fall. He remains completely locked in with his commitment and said it really hit him during his official visit that he’ll be in Austin before he knows it.

“It was crazy to think about it, and tell myself you’re here right now, enjoy every second of it. Everybody doesn’t get that opportunity, so really soak it up, enjoy it, and remember this is going to be you one day. The time is coming and it’s not far away.

1625799533141.png

2023 wide receiver Jalen Hale, the nation’s No. 8-ranked player overall in his class, took a Texas unofficial visit a few weeks ago.

The Longview standout said it was a good trip overall, including finally getting some face-to-face time with the coaches.

“I enjoyed it. It was fun,” Hale said. “It’s not that far from where I live. I enjoyed the team, the coaches.”

Hale said the “energy” from the coaches and players was the highlight of the trip, plus he really liked what he saw of the Austin area. Texas has been running hot and cold in this one, but the Longhorns are trying to work their way back into the mix behind the efforts of Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman.

“They like my game, the way I play, the way I get open,” Hale said. “They like my routes and I can high-point the ball. I can get after it everywhere on the field, in the slot too.”

Oklahoma, LSU, Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, USC, Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M were the schools that Hale listed as standing out.

As for what has Texas on the list …

“Everything stands out. They’re like family to me. They like me, and I enjoy being around them,” Hale said. “It would be a fun school to go to.

“They’re most definitely in the top 10. First off, the new coach, Coach Sark – he’s a good coach. He’s going to put you in positions to make plays. You just have to make those plays. And the receivers coach, coach Coleman, they’re going to get you right.”

Texas’ message to the 6-2, 175-pound playmaker is that the Longhorns will find creative ways to get him touches.

“They can move me all around the field. I could be outside, I could be in the slot. I just have to make plays,” Hale said.

Most of the early signs in this one are point towards Oklahoma, but Hale is planning to take things slowly and the Longhorns have climbed into the mix after being somewhat of an afterthought for Hale when we talked to him early in the spring.

Lake Balboa (CA) Birmingham tight end Arlis Boardingham was in Austin the last weekend of June for his official visit. So far it’s the only trip Boardingham has taken, although he said he’ll take more trips in the fall. Boardingham updates us on his trip and where things stand …

On the UT visit overall:

It was overall a great trip. They made me feel like they really wanted me. They made me feel like family and treated me great. I loved meeting the players. That was a great part of the trip. Definitely taking a tour of the facilities, them sharing the vision they have for me as a player and for the school in general was also great.

On what’s next for him:

In terms of decision, I’m going to wait until senior year, probably after my senior year. So not a decision anytime soon in terms of where I’m committing to, but closer to the beginning of football season you might see a top seven or top five. I’ll start cutting the list down this summer.

On what Texas told him about why he’s needed in Austin:

They said they need someone who can be a playmaker. Coach Banks and coach Sark were talking about when they were at Bama, even though it was a lot of DeVonta Smith and Jerry Jeudy, it was a two-tight end offense. They have Ja’Tavion Sanders who is a great tight end, but he’s not what they need me for. They need me for that speed and agility that I have.

On where Texas fits in his big picture:

They’re a definite option. As of right now I’m really liking Texas. They’re a definite option.

Boardingham mentioned that Arizona State will get an official visit in the fall. On if distance from home is a factor:

Football, I know you have to travel. You have to go out of state. If I go to the league, you have to go all over the place. Who knows where I’ll wind up? So my parents know that, they understand my vision and my dream, so they’re accepting of anywhere I go.

On Texas coach Jeff Banks:

He keeps it real. He lets you know right off the bat what he wants, what he needs, what’s going to happen, what the vision is and he’s going to tell you straight.

(Ketch)

With the release of the updated LSR Top 100 for 2023 on Thursday, I thought I'd go through the list of the early list of difference makers and provide a breakdown of where things stand with them following the very busy month of June.

It won't be long before a lot of our focus is significantly placed on this group of young men.

1. Anthony Hills - LB - Denton Ryan

Has Texas Offered: Yes

Total Offers: (20) Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and USC (among others)

Things to Know: Hill took unofficial visits to Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Alabama and TCU last month, so he got a very good look at the schools that figure to dominate his recruitment. The early oddsmakers would have the Longhorns, Aggies and Crimson Tide in some order as a top three.

Key Quote (From the Michigan Rivals site 2 weeks ago): "I’m just trying to play it evenly,” Hill said. “I’m trying to talk to every school. I want to keep all of my options open. I haven’t been able to visit any schools, so I want to make sure I can see schools like Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Texas and more. I want to go everywhere.”

2. Jalen Hale - WR - Longview

Has Texas Offered: YES

Total Offers: (31) Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M (among others)

Things to Know: This was written seven days ago on Rivals: "Oklahoma had been the front-runner for the 2023 high four-star receiver, with Texas and Texas A&M also high on the list, but the rumor is LSU is now No. 1 after Hale visited there recently. From the energy of the coaches, the atmosphere and the wide receiver tradition, the Tigers definitely left a big impression. The Longview, Texas, standout is expected back for a game in the fall."

Basically, the Longhorns have some work to do in this one, which isn't a surprise if you've been keeping up with his recruitment.

Key Quote: From Rivals on 5/4: "I stay in touch wit the Oklahoma staff the most. It’s Coach Cale (Gundy) and Coach (Lincoln) Riley,” Hale said of the Sooners. “They have been saying I’d fit in the offense well … They’re both cool coaches. They’re funny, like father figures and they’re good coaches. Coach Gundy, he’s just an energetic person.”

3. Javien Toviano - DB - Arlington Martin

Total Offers: (21) Arkansas, Baylor, Ole Miss, Oklahoma and Texas A&M (among others)

Things to Know: The Longhorns are absolutely the early front-runner to land Toviano. He loves him some Longhorns, but he took visits to Oklahoma, Texas A&M and TCU. The Longhorns can take nothing for granted.

Key Quotes: (from a few weeks ago on OB) "It was different. It’s a different vibe, a different culture,” Toviano said. “You can tell, just being here in Austin is different. It’s the epitome of Texas football. It’s the brand and it (was) amazing to be out here.

“They said I’m a priority. They told me to just come in here and I can change the defense,” Toviano said. “Just hearing that, that instills something in the back of my mind to stay here.”

4. Reuben Owens - RB - El Campo

Total Offers: (26) Alabama, Baylor, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and USC (among others)

Things to Know: Owens maintains that the Longhorns are still a very big piece of his recruitment, but some believe Texas A&M has moved ahead of Texas in the race for him. Alabama is also a major threat, as is a number of big-time programs. His recruitment has a long way to go.

5. Anthony James - DE - Wylie East

Total Offers: (13) Arkansas, Baylor, Florida State, Georgia, LSU, Oregon and Utah (among others)

Things to Know: The good news is that James took a visit to Austin in June, despite committing to Texas A&M back on February 11th, so the Longhorns aren't dead in the water, but he is very loud in his A&M support on social media and it remains to be seen just how big of a dent the visit to Austin created.

Key quote: "A&M sees me as a strongside end. I see myself being able to play both sides .. if needed. I’ve been flexible through high school and I want to be an asset. They want to take advantage of my speed and power and just cause havoc. Being able to play the strongside is what I wanted. Football wasn’t a hard sell. SEC football in Texas is dope."

6. Avion Carter - DE - Amarillo Tascosa

Total Offers: (14) Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and USC (among others)

Things to Know: The Longhorns are in excellent shape with Carter after he visited Austin in June and came away very impressed with the Texas experience. It's hard to say who exactly represents the primary competition in his list of early favorites, which isn't a bad thing if you're Texas at this point.

These are the six most recent photos on his Twitter page and three of them are from his visit to Austin last month.

1625795945596.png

7. David Hicks Jr. - DE - Allen

Total Offers: (26) Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M (among many others)

Things to Know: I'm not sure if anyone was able to see more schools last month than Hicks, who visited Florida, Miami, Oklahoma, Ohio State, LSU, Alabama and Texas (at a minimum). Hicks seems very open to the recruiting process at the moment and it's probably premature to talk about leaders.

Key Quote: From 11 days ago on Rivals "I wouldn't mind going away from Texas, but if I go away from home I want it to be somewhere that feels like home."

8. Johntay Cook - WR - Desoto

Total Offers: (31) Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Texas A&M (among many others)

Things to Know: Texas is almost certainly in Cool's top five, but after visiting Alabama, Ohio State and Texas A&M, you better buckle up because his recruitment is going to be intense. He's scheduled to return to Alabama in November for the LSU game.

9. Jamel Johnson - DB - Arlington Seguin

Total Offers: (28) Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas A&M and USC (among others)

Things to Know: In a lot of ways, Johnson's recruitment isn't quite as far along as some of the other guys in the top 10 because he wasn't visit obsessed like so many others, but Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma figure to be major factors in his recruitment. The Longhorns start off in a very good position.

10. Jordan Renaud - DL - Tyler Legacy

Total Offers: (17) Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, Florida State, Miami, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas A&M (among others)

Things to Know: This is a recruitment that will be interesting to watch as the former Florida prep star has offers from most of the big regional programs and will likely have his choice of options if he wants to go home to the Sunshine State. He didn't go visit crazy in June and it would appear that the most time was spent at Texas A&M's camp

11. Dalton Brooks - Ath - Shiner

Total Offers: (9) Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Miami, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Penn State and USC (among others)

Things to Know: Brooks really likes the Longhorns, but A&M is definitely in the mix, as is Alabama, LSU and USC. Texas defensive backs coach Blake Gideon has done a very good job of building a relationship with Brooks since he arrived back in Austin.

Key quote: (From Rivals in March) “In Shiner, it’s A&M … It’s A&M central,” he laughed. “It’s all it is here, so I want to go up there and come back and see what everybody is talking about.”

13. Jaquaize Pettaway - WR - Langham Creek

Total Offers: (13) Arkansas, Baylor, LSU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Texas A&M and USC (among others)

Things to Know: Alabama and Texas A&M were able to get him on campus in June and he seemed really impressed by both visits. Oklahoma and LSU are two other schools that he is familiar with and very interested in. The Longhorns have ground to make up.

14. Tre Wisner- Ath - Waco Connally

Total Offers: (11) Baylor, Florida State, Oklahoma, Ohio State and USC (among others)

Things to Know: Took visits to Texas, Texas A&M and LSU last month. It's too soon to say it'll be a three-school battle between those three, but all of them will be heavily involved.

15. Harris Sewell - OL - Odessa Permian

Total Offers: (18) Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, LSU, Notre Dame and Texas A&M

Things to Know: Sewell hit the road in June, making unofficial visits to Alabama, Notre Dame, TCU, LSU, Texas A&M, Texas and Texas Tech. The Longhorns are easily in the mix as one of his top favorites, but he looks like a kid that is going to explore all of his options going into his junior season.

1625799558870.png

Attachments

• 1625795945596.png
    1625795945596.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 6,567
  • 1625799507035.png
    1625799507035.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,472
  • 1625799533141.png
    1625799533141.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,914
  • 1625799558870.png