ADVERTISEMENT

The Texas Card House War Room (Thompson spreading his wings, Murphy's visit and more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
1633049793919.png

From Anwar)

Texas Longhorn observers have uncovered multiple examples of Casey Thompson’s leadership since August.

Thompson has done everything within his power to become the undeniable leader of this team. After spending multiple seasons watching and learning about the quarterback position from Sam Ehlinger, Thompson has taken advantage of his opportunity to lead the Longhorns. Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian and Thompson have a strong connection, according to multiple people associated with the program. Thompson has quickly emerged into the face of the franchise.

Every quarterback knows the position group he needs to take care of is the offensive line. Tom Brady once purchased cars for his entire offensive line. Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson purchased personalized scooters for his guys. Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers bought his guys Polaris Generals. Many of us are old enough to remember when Dan Marino appeared in an Isotoner Glove commercial and said he was buying them for the entire team.

Thompson has followed the long list of quarterbacks who decided to take care of the guys responsible for making sure he stays on two feet.

On Wednesday, Thompson treated the entire Longhorn offensive line to dinner at Vince Young Steakhouse, according to multiple sources. It appears Thompson wanted to reward his offensive linemen and bring this group together before facing TCU on Saturday.

This is not the first time Thompson has embraced leading this team.

Thompson organized workouts throughout the offseason. He was the quarterback who sent text messages to teammates for 7-on-7 workouts after official team workouts. Thompson did everything within his power to become the quarterback his teammates followed. Even though Thompson was in a quarterback battle against Hudson Card, the junior always conducted himself as the No.1 quarterback.

In addition, Thompson organized and conducted film study sessions with his receivers. Thompson’s goal was to get his receivers on the same page and break down practice film and tape of upcoming opponents. He also made it his mission to help Longhorn freshman receiver Xavier Worthy develop into a threat this season. Thompson discussed his quarterback-receiver relationship with Worthy earlier this week.

“I would say that the foundation that we built for film study on offense, I would say it started with me in the offseason, just going to grab them after workouts or after meetings in the summer, and even in fall camp in August,” Thompson said. “I think that kind of started me showing them, hey, we need to watch extra film whenever we can. And now, those guys do a great job. When they have extra time, they'll text me or call me and be like hey I want to come watch film with you.

“So, right now in season, I think it goes both ways. But like I said, Xavier, he just came in, he's a true freshman. For him to reach out to me some days and want to watch film is an amazing attribute that he has.”

Thompson studies a lot of film on his own. I recently asked Thompson about his film study routine and received a detailed explanation from the quarterback.

“I watch the wide view,” Thompson said. “I like kind of like to watch the overall defensive structure and see just what they're doing from afar. Then I’ll watch the behind the line of scrimmage endzone view. And then, like I said, I like to watch full games. So, I'll go on YouTube and just cut on the game and see what I can find because sometimes you can find little stuff that doesn't pop up on the film app. For example, you can find hand signals. You can find defensive calls. You can find different little things watching the full game, the TV copy. And sometimes you can see coaches or players on the sideline doing signals or their demeanor. You pick up on that stuff. Like I said, I've learned that just from being in college.”

Thompson has also learned the importance of gaining friendship and trust from his offensive linemen.

Speaking of the offensive line, coach Kyle Flood continued to emphasize the importance of communication as they prepared for TCU this week.

Every member of the offensive line remembers how they struggled against Arkansas in week two. Even though the offensive line performed well against Texas Tech, the Arkansas memory is still vivid in the minds of every player who struggled up front. They are trying to use that performance as motivation, and the true test will occur against Gary Patterson’s defense on Saturday.

Longhorn players and first-year staff members are aware of Patterson’s defense and the creative stunts he applies to pressure the quarterback. They are also aware that TCU has won six of the past seven games against Texas.

To combat the stunts and twists by TCU, Flood emphasized anticipating where defenders might attack and executing proper blocking techniques to protect Thompson. He stressed the necessity for his guys to play as a cohesive unit, communicate and study film.

In addition, Flood wanted to build off the success his guys had against Rice and Texas Tech and move opposing defenders at least 5-yards away from the line of scrimmage to give their running backs a good hole. In addition, Flood wants his linemen to drive defenders to the ground, sideline, or simply move them back. He wants an offensive line that plays nasty throughout every game.

Texas has multiple players with connections to TCU running back Zach Evans.

Longhorn defensive back Anthony Cook faced Evans as a senior at Lamar High. Evans led North Shore with 174 rushing yards and four touchdowns during a 44-29 victory against Lamar during the Class 6A DI regional finals.

In addition, when Texas defensive tackle Keondre Coburn attended Westfield, he helped coach Evans’ youth league football team.

“I've known for years. Knowing him, you have to tackle him. I know that for sure we have to get him down. He's very fast and he's going to try to get to the end zone. That is what he tries to do every time he gets the balls … He’s got some wiggle to him. He’s got some power, too.”

In addition, Texas running back Bijan Robinson praised Evans earlier this week.

“Yeah, I think he's a great running back,” Robinson said. “Me and him talked a lot throughout the time before we started playing each other. We’re pretty close. I think he’s a great running back. I think they're using him well on their team. I like how we're both here in Texas playing up against each other. It’s going to be a fun matchup.”

(From Suchomel)

Texas commitment Maalik Murphy was one of the visitors on campus last weekend and he was accompanied by his QB coach, Danny Hernandez on the weekend visit.

In talking to Hernandez, it was pretty cool to hear him talk about the meetings they had with the Texas staff on Saturday. They were able to sit in on some of the game-planning stuff for the Texas Tech game and Hernandez said it was pretty impressive to see the schemes that Sarkisian and the entire staff had put in place come to fruition on Saturday.

“I loved it. It was really cool for us to actually sit in on team meetings. We got a chance to sit in on team meetings, listen to the points they’re going to emphasize in the game, then to see them show up in the game exactly like they said it would was cool to see happening,” Hernandez said. “All the points Sark wanted to happen, pretty much all happened exactly.

“They were digging in on some details and they pretty much all happened. At one point during the special teams meeting, they said ‘Look we’re in a really good place, we’re going to block one.’ One was blocked, but it got called back. But they really practiced it with intent. Talking to the coaches, they felt like they had a really good week. To be a fly on the wall, it was really cool to see it all come together on Saturday.”

Hernandez and Maalik are hoping to get back to Texas for the Texas-OU game in a couple weeks, and they’re trying to work it out where they can attend another UT home game as well.

We were able catch up with Maalik Murphy as well to discuss his weekend visit.

“It was great being there. Every time I go it’s always a great experience,” Murphy said. “They show me love, make it feel like home. Being around the coaches, the whole staff, even other recruits – it always gives me a food feel of how it’ll be when I get there. I love going. Every chance I get to go there, I’m going to take advantage.”

As he always does, whether it be in Austin or from his home in California, Murphy tried to do some recruiting for the Longhorns.

“Saturday was a big day of course. I was able to see a lot of committed guys that were there and talk to them. Me, Harold Perkins, Harold’s brother, and Kris Ross were down there at the bottom row, right on top of Bevo. We had super-good seats, had a good time. We were analyzing the game, putting ourselves in a position to picture us on the field.

Murphy is still on the shelf with a clavicle injury, but he’s hopeful he’ll be back soon.

“Hopefully the week after this week, I should be back. It’s all by ear, whenever I feel like it’s safe and ready to go, that’s when I’m ready to go,” Murphy said.

Not that there’s ever been a worry with Murphy’s commitment, but he reiterated again that he’s completely locked in.

“I’m 100 percent. There’s no love lost. Every time it’s the same feeling, if not more,” he said.

There was a time a few weeks ago, after things went south between tight end Jaleel Skinner and Florida State, when it looked like the Longhorns might be a sneaky play to land the IMG Academy tight end. As we close in on Skinner’s decision next weekend, most of the between-the-lines trends with Skinner are pointing other directions.

Skinner, who just missed the Rivals100 cut in landing at No. 102 nationally, is nearly impossible to read clearly. He doesn’t do interviews, and very few people close to him offer up much in the way of updates either. FSU was believed to be the longtime leader for Skinner but those two parties went their separate ways shortly after (or during) Skinner’s official visit in early September. When that happened, much of the attention began to center on Texas and Alabama, with there being some uncertainty how hard the Crimson Tide staff would push since they already hold commitments from TE Elijah Brown and jumbo athlete Amari Niblack.

Right now, the teams still involved in this race would be Texas, Alabama, Clemson and Miami. Skinner was set to visit Miami on Thursday night for the ‘Canes’ game against Virginia, and there’s talk that he’ll be at Clemson on Saturday. Those two developments don’t trend well for UT’s chances, but the bigger news is that I’m told Alabama does in fact want Skinner and is making him a priority. As I said, Skinner is a tough one to gauge but there is confidence on the Bama side on their chances.

Lander Barton was in Austin for an official visit last weekend, and according to Salt Lake City Brighton head coach Justin Hemm, Texas made a strong impression and put itself in a position to battle the likes of Utah, Michigan and Oregon for the standout linebacker. The Longhorns have always been a school that’s intrigued Barton, and Hemm said last weekend lived up to the expectations.

“Texas is a school he’d always been interested in. It’s Texas football. Brand wise, it doesn’t get much bigger,” Hemm said. “I think the idea of it, riding a horse and out, ranching - he does all that. I think the perception of the program, from a younger age, he’s always like Texas.”

Hemm on what makes Barton such a special prospect …

“Just his play on the field. Athletically, he’s 6-4, 220, so he has good size, very athletic. He’s a rangy, long, athletic linebacker. He has a football background. Both brothers currently play in NFL. One is a linebacker for the Seahawks, one an offensive tackle for the Raiders. Both parents were D-1 athletes at Utah. His sister might be the best athlete of them all. She plays volleyball at Utah.

“Lander was an all-state player as a sophomore and junior, and probably will be as a senior. He plays football and basketball. But it’s more his character is a big thing. He’s not a big social media guy, kind of goes about his business. He works his tail off, is very dedicated to his craft.”

According to Hemm, Barton’s a talented enough athlete that he could be a high-caliber tight end prospect if he wanted to focus on offense. But it’s Barton’s talent and versatility on defense that has schools like Texas in pursuit.

“Everybody I’ve talked to sees him as inside or outside (linebacker) and they’re recruiting him for either. They see him playing either, just depending on the need when he gets there,” Hemm said. “I think either way, I honestly think the kid could play whatever he wanted, inside, outside or tight end.”

Barton has now visited Texas and Michigan. He’s expected to visit Utah and Oregon before coming to a decision and Hemm said all four genuinely have a chance right now.

“He had a great time at Texas. He loved the visit, loved the game, the atmosphere,” Hemm said. “I think relationships are a big thing for him, his comfort level with coaches and staff, the program as a whole. Fit will be a big thing. I imagine he’s got his eyes set on things for after football, what can prepare him for life after college football, life in general. At this point, I’d put all those four with an equal chance.”

(Womack)

Last night, I had a chance to speak with four-star F recruit Dillon Mitchell’s coach, Derrick Sharp, about Mitchell’s relationship to Texas and specifically his link to one of Texas’ assistant coaches. Here is some of that conversation.

When did the interest with Texas start? He was offered very recently, but how much contact had there been before?

“The assistant coach, Ulric [Maligi], is really close with Coach Reece of Each 1 Teach 1 (AAU program), so he’s known all the players from Each 1 Teach 1 when he was at Texas Tech. He’s seen Dillon since ninth grade. He also offered my son, Emanuel [Sharp] (current Houston Cougars commit), and they both played together...so he’s known him since the ninth grade and kept in touch, and saw an opportunity to get after him.

What so far does Dillon like about Texas? Is it the coaching or the culture? Or is it mainly the relationship with Coach Maligi?

“Yeah, I think it’s mainly the relationship with Coach Maligi, and it’s Texas, obviously you respect that. With what Coach Beard was able to do at Texas Tech...The school, what it’s known for, for its reputation, just the idea of the University of Texas is intriguing for him.”

There are two other schools in consideration, Tennessee and Florida State. How you think Texas fits in with them?

I think Texas is right in the mix. Obviously, he hasn’t visited the campus yet (He visits October 15th).

What kind of pitch is the coaching staff giving him?

“Most schools are saying pretty much the same thing at this point. They’re not gonna say anything different than Florida State or Tennessee. ‘We have the best strength and conditioning guys; we can get you to the NBA; we have a great fanbase; we have a great school and the campus is amazing.’ For Dillon, he has to be convinced that they’re gonna be able to make him a pro, to get him to the NBA...The deciding factors are going to be, can he become a great player, or a better player than he already is. Whoever can convince him of that has the best chance. Obviously his relationship with Maligi is very important as well...He’s getting to know Coach Beard and everyone else on the staff...The campus I’m sure is amazing so I don’t think that’s something that’s gonna weigh too heavily on his decision, I think it’s more about what they can do for him to make him a better player and a better person. We can’t forget about the classroom, and academics.”

Coach Sharp also confirmed with me this morning that Mitchell will visit Texas on October 15th.

The more I hear about four-star F Jordan Walsh, the more I get the feeling Arkansas is the leader, especially after landing five-star G Nick Smith earlier this week. I’m working on setting up a meeting with one of Walsh’s coaches soon. More to come.

Five-star F Jarace Walker is set to visit Texas on October 15th, the same weekend Mitchell is supposed to visit. He’s predicted as of right now to go to University of Houston, but the fact that he’s taking an OV is a good sign.

1633049821266.png

Attachments

• 1633049793919.png
    1633049793919.png
    1 MB · Views: 16,307
  • 1633049821266.png
    1633049821266.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14,444
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT