ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (1-12)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
So, hypothetically, if the dog actually DOES catch the car, what then?

We all have things we see in ourselves that we'd like to change, habits we'd like to break, or new ones we want to establish. If you're in recovery, you're called upon to admit self-destructive behaviors, and give them up in order to live. All these struggles can take on a life of their own, and when we succeed, at some point we'll ask ourselves "Now what?" Channeling our inner Peggy Lee, we may ask "Is that all there is?" These questions can be pretty daunting and at times even painful to confront. How do I now live? How do I feel whole?

These are among the first truly spiritual inquiries that emerge from recovery, but none of us can hide from them. Nobel Prize winner (1912) Alexis Carrel offered this insight: that as man remakes himself, he is both marble and sculptor. It doesn't happen quickly, and it is not painless. But if we envision the qualities we want to see emerge from our work, we need to chisel away at our shortcomings, at the things that aren't consistent with our vision of who we want to be. HINT: We cannot do this alone. A little help from our Higher Power will go a long way. C.S. Lewis told us not to shine so that others might see us, but that through us, others might see Him.

Blessings to all on this wonderful Friday. Cold weather coming. Be safe and stay warm.

NT
Isaiah 45:9-12
In memory of Allen Jones, who never stopped chiseling away the stuff he didn't like, on his way to becoming a work of art.

PS Sorry I'm late this morning. The words just would not form. Bad is this Gift is, you should have seen the early drafts. Ugh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News