ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (1-13)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
There's no such thing as "cold." There is only an absence of heat.
~~~~~~~ Every high school Physics teacher, at one time or another.

They're a tricky bunch, physics teachers. With an arctic air mass bearing down on us, bringing single-digit temperatures to places like Amarillo where I'll be tomorrow, it seems a good time to take issue with these characters. I'm pretty sure I'm going to think it's cold. But to be fair, what they're talking about is the fact that any activity, even at the molecular level, generates energy, and thus, heat.

EXCEPT, when we reach "absolute zero," which is a balmy -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit. That's cold even by Amarillo standards, and at that temp, molecules "vibrate" but produce no transferable heat. It's the science nerd version of hopelessness. a state that exists when we perceive a situation to be so desperate that it has no solution, no relief, no reason for hope. Emotional and spiritual absolute zero. Ever been there?

Christian artists Mercy Me have a song about it, entitled Even If. The lyrics lament their plight when they take the stage to sing songs of faith and promise and encouragement, but they're just not feelin' it. They've reached a point at which they have no hope, and only the tiniest particle of faith remains. It's vibrating but giving off no heat. They implore God and remind Him that the pain of these times would go away if He'd "just say the word." Then they acknowledge that "Even if You don't, my hope is You alone." When we face these same situations, we can hope for a miracle in our lives, or we can realize that our lives ARE a miracle. Things are hopeless only if we have allowed ourselves to become hopeless about them.

Stay warm my friends.

NT
Psalm 62: 5-8
In loving memory of Allen Jones, who fought through hopelessness with faith and by being too hard-headed to give up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News