ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (1-16)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
The difference between friends and pets is that we allow friends into our company, but pets we allow into our solitude.
~~~~~~~ Robert Breault

Hardly a week goes by on OB that we don't have a thread about a dog. A new puppy, a hunting dog, a dog whose life is coming to an end, taking a little part of our heart along with him/her. Those threads uniformly bring our our best behavior, our laughter, our compassion. Why is that? A thousand reasons probably, but it boils down to the facts that those Godly creatures get joy out of just being with us, they don't criticize, and man do they know how to forgive. They just want to be back by our side, wagging their tails to tell us to "just make it like it was before you got mad at me."

Ok, we aren't dogs, but what can we learn from them? For one thing, we ought to BE and HAVE the kinds of friends that share enough trust to be part of our solitude, notwithstanding today's quote. Within our families and circles of good friends, we must treasure one another in good times and bad, and avoid wasting precious time finding each other's faults. We won't find as many if we stop looking for them so intently. Maybe they won't find as many of ours either. We can try seeing the world through their eyes once in a while. Ever wonder where you'd end up if you took your dog for a walk, and never once pulled back on the leash?

What qualities do I love about others, that I can cultivate in myself?

Prayers for your warmth and safety, my friends.

NT
Matthew 25:40 "Whatever you have done for the least of these my brethren, you also did for me."

In loving memory of Allen Jones, who asked for little, and gave a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News