ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (12-18)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Because you're not what I would have you be, I blind myself to who, in truth, you are.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Madeleine L'Engle

Sometimes we either expect too much of the people around us, or our expectations don't match up with their reality. Whether justified or not, we come away from those experiences disappointed. We'd likely be better off if we simply let people be who they are, and see them as a whole package. There is goodness and beauty that we can appreciate, and there are other characteristics that are not appealing at all. You know, just like us.

Life is not a sculpting class, where we can carve and chisel people into being not who they are but who we prefer them to be. It's also not a game of Twister, where we contort ourselves to fit the unrealistic expectations others may impose on us. In either scenario, an illusion is created that isn't meant to last. Sure, we all have habits or characteristics we want to change, but in the long run, we'll be better off by far if we accept other people as they are rather than who we wish them to be. Maybe they'll show us that same courtesy.

For today, am I setting unfair or unrealistic expectations, whether for me, or for someone else?

Be at peace as we kick off the work week, the final week as we head toward Christmas. God bless you all,
NT
"Walk in a way that is worthy of your calling, with humility and gentleness, bearing with one another in love, striving to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace."
Eph 4: 1-3

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News