ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (2-28) (Edit added at 7:45)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
~~~~~~~~~~ Mary C. Richards

We can probably all agree that at times, our path isn't easy. People in recovery know that all too well. After all the talk about the benefits of recovery, and the promises of the program, reality strolls in and announces that all the talk is just that---talk. It's time to take steps. They won't be easy, but no one ever recovers by merely talking or thinking about it. Recovery requires actively taking each step and meeting its unique challenges.

In one episode of the TV show Happy Days, Richie (Ron Howard) is tired of being a weakling, and wants Fonz (Henry Winkler) to teach him how to be a tough guy. They spend about 2/3 of the episode going through the motions of how to talk and act tough. Richie catches on fast, and Fonz pronounces him "ready." Sure enough, they get into an altercation with some bad guys one evening at Arnold's. Richie remembers his lessons well, and goes into his practiced routine of acting and talking tough. But the bad guys don't back down. "What do I do now, Fonz?" Richie pleads. Fonz replies "Didn't I tell you Cunningham, sooner or later you gotta actually hit somebody." There it is.

We can know our path pretty well, but even then, we cannot see its endpoint, nor can we foresee every obstacle and pothole. Today I pray that we own the courage to take the step. Then another.

Blessings,
NT
"For we walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Cor 5:7
Thanks to Allen Jones for taking his steps.

PS For those of us who profess to have a Faith, events such as the fires in the panhandle will test us. My wife and I have lots of family and friends up that way. Wife's family runs cattle. One of my business partners is from the town of Panhandle. She sent me a picture last night from her parents' back porch; the entire horizon was on fire. It looked almost like a sunset. If you're so inclined, we'd appreciate your prayers. I have a difficult and rancorous business meeting this morning, but as a matter of perspective, no one can say anything to me that can compare to the pain of watching my birthplace burn up, and my extended family suffer. Psalm 46: 1-2.
Thank you.
NT

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News