ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (2-9)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
God hath given you one face, and you make yourself another.
~~~~~~~~ Shakespeare, from Hamlet

A friend of mine tells a great story about a time when his son and daughter-in-law asked him to come to their house and stay with their 9-year-old son for the day. He and his grandson were outside playing catch, and the the boy was showing off his vast array of pitches, one of which connected with a window, sending glass in all directions. The boy's reaction took my friend completely by surprise: "Well," the boy said, without emotion, "I have to call my Dad." And so he did, reporting the broken window and his errant throw, in a short conversation that ended with "Thanks Dad."

My friend's son would later explain that at their house, they reward truth, no matter how difficult or unpleasant. They gave each other the freedom to be honest.

Lies deceive others, but they also keep us hidden from our true selves. Sooner or later, we'll get toxic on our own BS. Truth keeps lines of communication open, and enables us to cultivate a reputation for honesty and integrity. The pain of an event will pass, but the pain of lying about it will live on.

Blessings, lads and lasses on this great Friday.
NT
Prov 10:9
Dedicated to Allen Jones, who used truth to heal himself and to restore relationships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News