ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (3-29; Good Friday)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Keep talking about me behind my back, and watch God keep blessing me in front of your face.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Anonymous

We have come to the day we call "Good Friday." On its face, that seems to be a real misnomer. It is the day observed by Christians the world over as the day on which Jesus was mercilessly executed, following a day of torture and torment and pain. Death by crucifixion was widely regarded as the greatest pain that could be inflicted. We use the word "excruciating"---of the cross---to describe incredible pain, pain for which there is no more suitable word.

How can that be "good?" Certainly it's a day of introspection and reverence, that sets the stage for the celebration of Resurrection. But wait! There's more. An eyewitness account tells us that in his final spoken words of the day, Jesus said "It is finished." The Greek word for that phrase is tetelestai. In New Testament times, it was a word often written on business documents to indicate that a debt had been paid in full. It appears in John's Gospel at 19:30, and to John's Greek-speaking readers, it could only mean that in His earthly death, Jesus had paid their debts of sin "in full." Theirs and ours. That's what's "Good" about this day.

Today, I am indebted to my good friend @Bmk1989 who laid the foundation for this Gift. Gracias, mi hermano.

Be at Peace, lads and lasses.
NT
John 19:25-30
In loving tribute to Allen Jones, who finished his work at just the right time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News