ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (5-12)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
If you have a mother, you can't go anywhere that a prayer hasn't already been.
~~~~~~~~~ Unknown

Many of you will remember Erma Bombeck, who was a popular author and humorist for 30+ years. Her column At Wit's End was nationally syndicated, and appeared in newspapers all over the country from 1965 until her death in 1996. She also wrote 15 books, many of which became bestsellers. She handed out tons of great advice on parenting, most of it thinly disguised as humor.

On the responsibility of motherhood, she had this to say: "Someday when my children are old enough to understand the logic that motivates a mother, I'll tell them this: That I loved you enough to bug you about where you were going, with whom, and what time you'd be home. I loved you enough to be silent and let you discover on your own that your friend was a creep. I loved you enough to make you return a Milky Way to the drugstore, with a bite taken out of it, then confess 'I stole this.' Most of all I loved you enough to say 'No' when you hated me for it. That was the hardest part of all."

The apostle Paul was never one to shy away from taking credit for his achievements. He was especially proud (and rightly so) of his young protege, Timothy. Yet for all his work with Timothy, Paul reminds Timothy in his second letter to him that he remembers Timothy's "genuine faith" that was instilled in him by his grandmother Lois and his mother Eunice. Mothers have a profound influence on us. Always have. Always will.

Happy Mother's Day to all of them. And thanks.

NT
2 Timothy 1:5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News