ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (5-4)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
I'm singing this note 'cause it fits in well with the chords I'm playing...but I'm in tune
~~~~~~~ The Who, Getting In Tune

Before an orchestra performs, the musicians take the stage, and begin the process of tuning their instruments. They've done this backstage too, as they were warming up, but it must be done again. One final tune-up, to account for differences in temperature and acoustics, to make certain that the performance will be as good as they can make it. All the instruments are tuned to a pitch played on the oboe. Why the oboe? A simple answer is that the oboe is the only instrument that can produce a stable pitch that isn't susceptible to the external factors such as temperature (it's a bit more complicated than that, so some of the real musicians here at TG are welcome to correct me).

Maybe our hearts---our instincts---work like an oboe. When we have thoughts or make decisions or take actions, if our heart knows we're right, we're in tune with our own oboe. But if something down deep makes us question ourselves, then our judgment gets clouded, and we fill with doubt. We'd do well at that moment to listen for that perfect stable pitch, a constant we can rely on. "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father...who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17. There's our stable pitch. Tune accordingly.

God bless you all,
NT
Hebrews 13:8

PS Duh. It's May 4, not 5, as I first indicated.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News