ADVERTISEMENT

Tons of news and notes from this weekend's official visitors ... some commits forthcoming?

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Lots of updates to get to from today. We’ll have much more detailed reports when we have a bit more time, but here’s what you need to know …

The visit was fantastic for Myles Davis and he loved his time with Blake Gideon. He was hosted by Austin Jordan and spent a ton of time hanging out with Joshua Lair and Lair’s player host, Derek Williams. Davis will be at A&M this weekend for an official visit (it was going to be an unofficial but he changed it). Decision announcement will be August 25. I feel really good about UT’s position here. Let’s see if next weekend changes anything but Texas is in front right now, by a decent margin.

“USC, A&M, Texas – they’re all up there together. But Texas is definitely ahead right now,” Davis said.

I haven’t connected with Washington directly, but in talking to multiple sources, the visit was a smashing success. He is scheduled to visit Alabama next weekend … let’s see if that one still happens. I’ve had my FutureCast pick on Texas since early May and I feel very good about that pick.

Still trying to get in touch with Lair, who usually keeps a low profile. But I’ve heard the visit went very well, so much so that I put a Texas FutureCast pick in today.

I’ve had my FutureCast pick in for Texas for nearly a full year. This one looks very good, very soon.

Gotta love Melvin Hills. I had called him today but he was still on his visit. I let him go and told him we’d connect later. He called me back about 30 minutes later and said he was waiting to meet with Sark but had some time so we knocked out a quick update. He’s down to Texas and Ole Miss with Auburn barely hanging on. Decision July 15. No more visits for him, just needs to come to a final decision. I favor Texas because UT has been his professed favorite for a while, but he says he’s undecided and it’s very close.

Okoye tells me it was a great visit and the highlight was being around the staff, including the strength and conditioning coaches. David Gbenda was his host. LSU unofficial visit this Wednesday, then Tennessee on Saturday. He’s not planning on deciding until late in the process, maybe November.

“After this weekend, it definitely made an impact. They’re definitely up there on the charts,” Okoye said.

Spent time with all the coaches, but mostly Bo Davis. CJ Baxter was his host and said it was a great visit. Baxter told him he’s happy with his decision to come to Texas and he feels he’s being developed, which Robinson said excited him. No commitment date … probably during the season. Lots of comp from the likes of Florida, Georgia and Ohio State but Texas is right there in the mix.

He said the highlight was talking to Bo Davis and hearing how he’d be used if he chose Texas. Decision coming on July 8. He’s interested in Auburn, Texas, Alabama, Florida and Georgia but this is really a two-team race between Auburn and Texas. He says he doesn’t favor one over the other but I get the sense Auburn may have a slight edge. He and his family actually drove in, about 12 hours.

Exchanged a couple texts with UT commitment Michael Kern but he’s on the plane so we should be able to connect with him later tonight. Sounds like things went very well though.

Goodyear Desert Edge DL Deshawn Warner said it was a tremendous visit. Warner will visit Washington on Tuesday and Kansas next weekend. Those two, plus Texas and Oregon State, make up his top four.

I asked where Texas stands heading into those last two visits and he said Texas is the team to beat coming out of this weekend.

OL Eugene Brooks said he loved the visit, including UT’s academic strengths and the way Kyle Flood coaches and teaches. He says Texas is definitely one of his top schools. No visit set for next weekend but he might line something up. He’s been on OVs to UT and Oklahoma and unofficial visits to Tennessee, Georgia and Georgia Tech. Wants to decide sometime this summer. Texas is very much in play for him.

Exchanged some texts with Brandon Baker, who is flying home right now. I hope to hear more from him tonight.

From everyone we’ve talked to, things went very well with Christian Clark. I know there are a lot of predictions for Texas in this one. I’ve been a bit more hesitant there but there are some that spent time with him that think the Longhorns are the clear leader. His OV to Georgia next weekend could obviously change that, and Florida State is still heavily involved.

Haven’t heard much from Aeryn Hampton, but he did tweet that he’ll announce on July 7 for either Texas or Alabama.

Full report on Khmori House’s visit here. Texas/Washington battle with a decision coming as early as next Sunday.

Wilson, of course, committed to Texas on Saturday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News