ADVERTISEMENT

Trench Warfare at the Charlotte Under Armour NEXT Combine

CodyCarpentier

every like is another Jonathon Brooks rushing yard
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2023
Roanoke, VA
www.thedraftrankings.com
Sunday afternoon was a sunny 72 degrees as I walked onto the turf at Mallard Creek High School in Charlotte, North Carolina. One of my favorite parts of traveling to events during the offseason, whether it's the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine, or Fall Training Camps, I always find myself looking for the guy who isn't given attention. Everyone knows who the 4 and 5-star prospects are when they walk in, but what about the unranked player with no Rivals page, or the guy in the NFL Draft from a small school with big stat lines and zero helium, pushing him to the forefront of conversations, for whatever reason.

The Undercovered Prospect, it is where you can make some hay in recruiting, whether it's the walk-ons that live close to campus or a 3-star defensive end that turns into a top 40 NFL Draft pick *cough* T'Vondre Sweat, they are important in some facet to every team in college.

Introducing: Chaz Knox, Defensive Tackle - A.L. Brown High School
Height: 6'0
Weight: 285 lbs
Offer Sheet: Army, Navy, Richmond, Cornell, Gardner Webb, Elon, Wofford, Lafayette
Rivals Grade: No Rivals Page or Rating
Q: What part of your game best translates to coming out here and competing at a camp/combine like this?
A: You know, a lot of these drills, they're common, they're online, you can find them. You know, if I practice a drill out here, this isn't the first time. I try to rep it a thousand and two thousand times. You know, as long as you rep something enough, then you're going to come out here and perform doing it.

Q: Is that something you pride yourself on? Do you watch tape on any specific players or drills to get ready?
A: Yes, sir. I watch the NFL Combine, that usually has a great amount of drills because that's what they're testing at the highest level. As far as players I watch, you know, I watch people that, you know, are built like me. 6' 285+, the Aaron Donald, Calijah Kancey, Ed Oliver, Grady Jarrett, you know, those guys, you know, high technique, high skill, high motor.

Q: How is the recruiting process going for you?
A: Great, I'm blessed to have around 8 offers - Army, Navy, Elon, Richmond, Gardner Webb, Cornell, Wofford, and Lafayette, I am very blessed to be here.
Q: What are some goals you have for the season, to help grow and add to that offer sheet?
A: This year, I'm hoping to get around 20 sacks and set the county record for sacks. That's always been a goal of mine over the last two years I've had a combined total of 14 sacks. So I really want to finish out my senior year strong and, you know, set a statement when I go to college.

Analysis: Knox is a penetrator, who is cognizant of run/pass plays as they unfold. One of the top things that stood out from Knox was his great ability to change directions during drills and accelerate, picking up on queues from the coaches and having an acute sense of detail. As a High Character player and student of the game, I expect his offer sheet to continue to grow through the 2024 season as he pushes the envelope as a player on and off the field. In the weight room, Chaz has a 500+ lb squat, 350 lb bench, and 300+ lb power clean under his belt. As a wrestler, he is a 2x state qualifier at heavyweight.

Cody's Prospect Grade: 5.71 (Low ⭐⭐⭐)
Cody's Player Comp: Adetomiwa Adebawore, Northwestern

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News