ADVERTISEMENT

WHAT TO MAKE OF OKLAHOMA THIS YEAR?

Southtejas

Gold Member
Aug 5, 2022
I can see Oklahoma go 10&2 this year. I can also see them have a similar regular season record as last year. Few programs have shown an overall consistency over the last two decades as Oklahoma. I believe that starts with their Athletic Director Joe Castiglione. Of course, Bob Stoops deserves his credit for the turnaround of the program in 1999 and Lincoln Riley deserves his for maintaining the momentum when he was hired. The question is, Can Castiglione go three for three on his hires?

What stood out to me about Brent Venables last season was not his coaching ability, it was his demeanor on the sidelines. This is a man that coached his defenses with as much passion as could be visually noticed when he was a defensive coordinator. As a head coach on the side lines, that passion was not seen.

I am all about keeping your emotions in check and projecting a sense of calm for your team, but well-timed passion displays are fuel for those you lead. What I can’t understand is the risk Venables is taking in ignoring the results that his natural personality helped him achieve and is instead trying to fit this new mold of what he thinks a head coach should act like on the sidelines.

Perhaps he knows last year was part of the process and is merely conveying quiet confidence, or to the dismay of the Oklahoma faithful, as a head coach, he is an empty suit that is over delegating. I am of the opinion that Oklahoma is at a fork in the road that leads in only two directions, back at the top end of the conference or the beginning of a revolving door of head coaches.

Can Castiglione go three for three on his hires?...........Its hard to bet against Joe!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News