ADVERTISEMENT

Will Texas keep it close with Baylor?

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
I'm just not sure if Bedford's D, especially the secondary can stop Baylor. The one time OU went deep the coverage was poor and the db's looked baffled. Luckily for Texas, you were able to harass Mayfield all game and disrupt the pass. Baylor's OL is way better than OU's so where does that leave your D?

And yes I am looking down the road. I think Texas beats KSU

I think Texas can beat everyone left for them to play. By years end when we play Baylor, we may very well be able to beat them. Last year our defense did quite well vs baylors offense.... we harrassed their QB all day - forced him in to his worst day EVER as a starting QB... had we had an offense in that game it is possible we could have won... im just saying.... Granted last year doesnt mean anything for this year, but it does show that a bad Texas team was able to scheme and wreak havoc on baylors vaunted offense to keep it close for the most part..... can you imagine if swoopes wasnt the QB for us in that game?

Reactions: Belldozer1
Baylor gives every defense problems. Texas will be no different.

First off KSt. I think this will be a good close game in the 27-34 range. Like it or not Snider has our number and can never be overlooked. They straight up know how to play Texas in good years much less our recent history. I do expect our boys to earn a W in Manhattan though.

Baylor presents us many unfavorable matchups much like everyone else they've played. Our only chance to stay in this one is if it plays out like the cotton bowl. We HAVE to eat clock on the ground to limit their time with the ball. Then and only then would we have a chance to steal a win. Otherwise, Baylor gasses our D and pulls starters in the 3rd.

In summary, I believe we are still a year out from competing with them. Baylor wins again.

We will not keep up with Baylor. They are more talented deeper and have more experience. The good thing is that we play 4 more Air Raid style teams before we play them so it gives the back end of the defense time to learn how to play.

The other thing I am looking for is how Boykin does with his legs against Baylor. Will give some indication as to what Heard can do.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Ha I should have prefaced by saying I'm not confident OU can keep up with Baylor
As of today, Texas won't hang. Who knows what it looks like December 5th. I don't see Texas going on an undefeated run from Dallas to Waco and until I see every game in between, it's hard to say what they will look like. I highly doubt they beat or even keep it close in Waco.

I do expect our boys to earn a W in Manhattan though.

Just FYI, we play KSU at home this year.

I think the Baylor game is likely to be quite ugly. Not because of any schematic deficiencies, but because, among other things, Baylor has a great OL and our most talented DBs are inexperienced. I'm just grateful that it's our final conference game.

As of today, Texas won't hang. Who knows what it looks like December 5th. I don't see Texas going on an undefeated run from Dallas to Waco and until I see every game in between, it's hard to say what they will look like.
Well put. We'll be able to better predict after we play the intermediate games. Week by week and KState is on the chopping block.

Hook 'em

TexEx how would you slow down Baylor? I would try to jam their receivers and hit their QB as hard as I could on every passing play. Who knows, might rattle him and lead to some turnovers. From what I've seen playing coverage doesn't work.

I'm just not sure if Bedford's D, especially the secondary can stop Baylor. The one time OU went deep the coverage was poor and the db's looked baffled. Luckily for Texas, you were able to harass Mayfield all game and disrupt the pass. Baylor's OL is way better than OU's so where does that leave your D?

First of all were not playing Baylor for another two months. And while you think your Mr fb about all things UT, Vance Bedford is a good dc. Last year we were able to slow down their passing game but we left it up to our front four to stop their running game and we couldn't stop Shock Linwood. However they ran the ball 60 time and gained 270 yards which is 4.5 ypc and we had a goal line stand to go with it. And since it's Baylor holding them to 4.5 ypc is decent. We held them to under 400 yards and 28 points seven of them on a blocked fg.

However OK plays them next month. Last year Baylor dropped 48 points on the sooners and almost 600 yards. And in Norman where Baylor had never won. Since the TX/WV game wasn't on till later I watched it and in the last two and a half quarters Baylor's offense pretty much had it any way they wanted it. This was the game where Mike Stoops lost it. He started screaming at a safety but the player screamed back at him pointed and then to the playing field. I don't care if you don't believe me go back and watch the game and you'll see I'm not making this up it happened in the second half. There's a reason he sits in the press box now.

You constantly talk about us. Now you're asking us if you think our defense can stop Baylor. Like I said we don't pay them for another two months. Doesn't it bother you at least a little that a school like Baylor who had never beaten Baylor until four years ago has put a serious beat down on OK the last two years? Nobody in the Big XII including Texas has never beaten a Stoops team like that. Last year was the worst home loss in the Stoops era and since you're on here more than OK boards I'll bet you didn't know that.

So now we come to OK/Baylor which you should be more concerned about. OK should beat TT next week and then they play KS and ISU. They should be 8-1 when they go to Waco on Nov 14th. If TX can run on OK the way they did then I can't even begin to imagine what Baylor will do because their running game is better, a lot better, than ours. Then OK will have to deal with Corey Coleman the best receiver in the country. Remember what Kendall Wright did against OK a few years ago belldozer? They also have an AA at ot. They're averaging 60 ppg and lead the nation in total offense. And btw Seth Russell is a better runner than Heard.

And then comes TCU who has the best running qb in the country. His name is Trevone Boykin ever heard of him belldozer? He will be at the Heisman ceremony in Dec. And they have the second best receiver in the country in Josh Doctson. They're second in the country in total offense. And even though the game is in Norman OK doesn't have their home stadium invincibility anymore.

And then comes OSU who is undefeated, ranked number 16, and has a sold defense maybe the best in the Big XII. Imo, their dc Glenn Spencer is the second best dc in the Big XII after Gary Patterson. OK will not drop 55 on the cowboys. OSU will be no worse 9-2 by the time Bedlam rolls around. Oh and when it comes to offense they also have an outstanding passing game. And Mason Randolph is the third best qb after Boykin and Russell.

There are so many reasons you should be more concerned about whether Mike Stoops can stop Baylor's offense, or for that matter TCU or OSU's offense than VB.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
Just FYI, we play KSU at home this year.

I think the Baylor game is likely to be quite ugly. Not because of any schematic deficiencies, but because, among other things, Baylor has a great OL and our most talented DBs are inexperienced. I'm just grateful that it's our final conference game.
It's really hard to say how good a number of teams are including OU. It obviously comes down to scheme. You would not conclude from the OU/KSU game that OU is better than TCU because they thrashed KSU. I agree about Baylor's OL too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT