ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Running Thread

I will throw out my opinion of what caught my ear as an uneducated (meaning not a Texas expert) ND fan who usually takes nothing from pressers, but noticed a few things in this one.

In order of importance:

1. I get the names mixed up, but one OL started practicing Saturday, one starts tomorrow & one starts later this week. That means the OL will have minimal time together, & regardless of what they (Texas coaches) say, they aren't 100%, probably in the 80% range, which is normal for OL during the season, but not ideal to start the season.

2. CS says the starter is the starter, not going to pull him because he struggled early, then says the other will probably play by the 3rd or 4th possession. Stated the starter is someone who won the team's trust. From the outside it sounds like they really didn't make a definitive decision.

3. Said that Texas needs to be physical, but realizes ND will probably be the most physical team they play. CS stated ND's DLine will be the most physical they see & Oline is great each year. Almost seemed like CS knows that Texas will out-physical all teams on their schedule, except week 1.

4. When asked about the biggest difference between last year & this year, CS said this team doesn't spend time in the training room, they want to be on the field. To me that should be a given, not an improvement.

5. Talked about how he & other coaches explained to freshmen they wouldn't be ready for the atmosphere, then caught himself & said they would be fine. CS was speaking the truth, being honest about the situation, then realized he probably shouldn't say that & covered it up fast.

The last two are more amusing & have no bearing on the game.

The first three gives me the impression that CS knows football games are won in the trenches & in this particular matchup he isn't too confident up front. Out of the entire press conference that was the football vibe I got.

BK's presser is tomorrow at noon et.

Feel free to tear apart my takeaways from today's presser. Lol

1. O line. Nicholson has already been practicing. Vahe only missed one practice. Shackleford...don't know what to think about that one. I'm curious if he will start. Regardless these guys practiced through all of spring together. Its not ideal, but its not as if they have never taken a snap at the same time.
2. I have no idea what is going on at QB. The reporting is contradictory as are the coaches comments. I maintain that Strong probably wants to ease Buchele into the game. Sure, if Swoopes is killing it he wills start and get most of the snaps. I don't believe they won't pull him if he isn't moving the chains.
3. It takes about 30 second of live action for the players to lose butterfiles, regardless of age.

Strong doesn't give away much during press conferences. He's not a great public speaker and often he contradicts himself in the same sentence. Sometimes I think he just tells the media random things to shut them up. It's funny looking back at his first off season and he made a statement that we would not make the national championship this year (he was being honest), to which the media and fans went nuts that he would say something like that. Every reporter out there wrote a hit piece article about how he doesn't believe the team could be good. Since then he has not been very honest with the media, just does his coach speak and moves on. Take anything he says to the media with a grain of salt.

They all know who the starting QB is (based on PC vibes it's no. 16). I feel like McMillion will start at Center and that may very well be a blessing in disguise. Vahe and Nickelson are seasoned veterans with ample playing time under their belt.

Also, Charlie props up every teams strengths on the Monday before the game. It's what he do.

For example on the team knowing:

Last edited:
They all know who the starting QB is (based on PC vibes it's no. 16). I feel like McMillion will start at Center and that may very well be a blessing in disguise. Vahe and Nickelson are seasoned veterans with ample playing time under their belt.

Also, Charlie props up every teams strengths on the Monday before the game. It's what he do.

For example on the team knowing:

So you think its Buchele now, or you are saying that because people want to hear that?

So you think its Buchele now, or you are saying that because people want to hear that?
Unfortunately, from what I've been told it's Swoopes if that's unfortunate, but that's not the vibes I got from the presser and some of the language.

Reactions: Godz40Acrez
Nothing about Swoopes starting makes sense. The problem is OB reported he was in the lead, then every other outlet came out with their own version of that story. I simply cannot wrap my head around Swoopes being so far out in front now that the whole team knows he is the guy, and that it is his job, not just some token set of snaps to break Buchele into the game slowly.

Reactions: jsto60
Nothing about Swoopes starting makes sense. The problem is OB reported he was in the lead, then every other outlet came out with their own version of that story. I simply cannot wrap my head around Swoopes being so far out in front now that the whole team knows he is the guy, and that it is his job, not just some token set of snaps to break Buchele into the game slowly.
I'm hearing it from people at every practice, they're having fun with it...whatever it is.

I will throw out my opinion of what caught my ear as an uneducated (meaning not a Texas expert) ND fan who usually takes nothing from pressers, but noticed a few things in this one.

In order of importance:

1. I get the names mixed up, but one OL started practicing Saturday, one starts tomorrow & one starts later this week. That means the OL will have minimal time together, & regardless of what they (Texas coaches) say, they aren't 100%, probably in the 80% range, which is normal for OL during the season, but not ideal to start the season.

2. CS says the starter is the starter, not going to pull him because he struggled early, then says the other will probably play by the 3rd or 4th possession. Stated the starter is someone who won the team's trust. From the outside it sounds like they really didn't make a definitive decision.

3. Said that Texas needs to be physical, but realizes ND will probably be the most physical team they play. CS stated ND's DLine will be the most physical they see & Oline is great each year. Almost seemed like CS knows that Texas will out-physical all teams on their schedule, except week 1.

4. When asked about the biggest difference between last year & this year, CS said this team doesn't spend time in the training room, they want to be on the field. To me that should be a given, not an improvement.

5. Talked about how he & other coaches explained to freshmen they wouldn't be ready for the atmosphere, then caught himself & said they would be fine. CS was speaking the truth, being honest about the situation, then realized he probably shouldn't say that & covered it up fast.

The last two are more amusing & have no bearing on the game.

The first three gives me the impression that CS knows football games are won in the trenches & in this particular matchup he isn't too confident up front. Out of the entire press conference that was the football vibe I got.

BK's presser is tomorrow at noon et.

Feel free to tear apart my takeaways from today's presser. Lol

I wouldn't pay much attention to what Strong says in his pressers. He is out of the Lou Holtz school of misinformation and will say contradictory things in back to back interviews.

So how does this team stack up to last years? I know this technically doesn't mean anything because we have not seen them play yet, but it's fun to speculate. This is considering the two deep and not just the starters.

QB - same, but maybe improved due to new scheme or if Buechele lights it up.
RB - improved because of more experience in Warren and Foreman
O line - improved because of overall more experience and more depth (besides center)
WR - improved, more experience, more depth, more speed, and more height
TE - improved, more experience
Safety - improved, more experience and more depth
CB - improved, more experience
LB - improved, more experience
D line - same, but does have more depth
Kicker - improved

Overall this team is a year more experienced and one would think they would be better on paper. I can't think of a position group where they would take an obvious step back from last year. We didn't lose any talent to the draft and these young pups are growing up. We may not be dominant in any area but they should be able to hang with most of our opponents. I think an 8-4 season is a realistic expectation.

So how does this team stack up to last years? I know this technically doesn't mean anything because we have not seen them play yet, but it's fun to speculate. This is considering the two deep and not just the starters.

QB - same, but maybe improved due to new scheme or if Buechele lights it up.
RB - improved because of more experience in Warren and Foreman
O line - improved because of overall more experience and more depth (besides center)
WR - improved, more experience, more depth, more speed, and more height
TE - improved, more experience
Safety - improved, more experience and more depth
CB - improved, more experience
LB - improved, more experience
D line - same, but does have more depth
Kicker - improved

Overall this team is a year more experienced and one would think they would be better on paper. I can't think of a position group where they would take an obvious step back from last year. We didn't lose any talent to the draft and these young pups are growing up. We may not be dominant in any area but they should be able to hang with most of our opponents. I think an 8-4 season is a realistic expectation.
The D line will probably struggle some, especially against ND. As the season goes on I think they will catch up and be better.

I think RB will be greatly improved, and not just because of experience. I think Warren is better than post injury Jonathon Gray, plus we have excellent depth there.Theonly drop off MIGHT be pass blocking where Gray was pretty good. I think the D line will be better despite losing Ridgeway. He was mostly hurt last year. This year we have good depth there even though it is young and unproven, they still can take some snaps and keep the frontline guys fresher.I think our defensive ends will be much better and deeper than last year.The back 7 is just flat better......oh....and did I say fast?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT