50 Year Anniversary - Kirk Bohls (Your Favorite Sportswriter)

bclear1

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2012
Austin
Behind a paywall. I think @Ketchum should interview him! :cool:

I'll copy and paste some excerpts. Yeah, I'm the last Austin American-Statesman subscriber. Kirk Bohls was a senior writing for the Daily Texas, when I was a freshman at UT. We go wayyy back!

Note the quotes in boldface.

"Listen, my journalism professors at Texas all told me if you weren’t pissing off some readers, you weren’t doing the job right. You want half the audience to hate you and the other half to think you’re a homer."

"When I once asked the legendary Jones Ramsey the difference between the 1970s and the 1950s, he said, “Putting up with turds like you.”

"My sports claim to fame is very brief. I was a Little League All-Star. I’m in the UT Intramural Hall of Fame. I suffered a broken neck while making a tackle as a high school monster man (safety). And I did try out for the Longhorns tennis team."

"My three favorite events are the College World Series, Texas-OU and the Masters."

"I teamed up with former colleagues Suzanne Halliburton and Mark Wangrin. We wrote series about assistant coach Jamie Ciampaglio’s stealing Texas basketball players’ meal money and storing it in his freezer, mob-style. A steroid scandal involving the UT football team and forged prescriptions. A series on homosexuality in sports. A spying controversy in which Darrell Royal accused Barry Switzer and Oklahoma of secretly observing Texas practices. And a UT gambling scandal that included an offensive lineman as the team bookie.

In that last scandal, players told Halliburton and me that a very famous Texas assistant football coach not only had knowledge of the gambling, but routinely got on team buses and joked with the bookie/player about the betting lines. But the story never ran in the paper because our lawyers insisted that the players actually sign a contract saying they would testify in court."

"I’ve been berated by some of the biggest names in the sports world, from Gregg Popovich to Billy Martin. Pop asked condescendingly, “What game were you watching?” When I asked Martin, then the Texas Rangers manager, about the leadership of MVP Jeff Burroughs, he ripped into me for five minutes and used a lot of long 11-letter and nine-letter profanities I can’t specify here."

Grant Teaff called me the “silent assassin.” Mackovic called me “a scoundrel.” The late Cleve Bryant once threatened me and told me “to watch your back.”

"The president of Texas A&M slammed a door in my face during the Jackie Sherrill days. A friend of Mackovic’s now-former wife stood up and threw a 16-ounce Coke on my chest as I walked through the stands after a game. I’ve had more screaming matches with Texas SIDs and athletic directors than I want to think about, but none in the past 24 hours."

"Cliff Gustafson, my favorite coach ever, once kicked me out of the locker room. Roger Clemens and I went a month without speaking, and he once got mad at me after a glowing article when I predicted he’d win five Cy Youngs but called him an offseason recluse. “I ain’t no recluse,” he told me the next day."

"I once reassured anxious rookie Earl Campbell at Oilers training camp, sitting on a curb outside his dorm in San Angelo when he was unsure he could play in the NFL."

"Nolan Ryan ran into Roger Staubach on one occasion, and the greatest Cowboy of them all asked what I did for a living. Ryan recounted, “I told him he’s a sportswriter, unless you ever read the paper on a Monday after a Cowboys loss, in which event, he’s a plumber.”

"Favorite coaches: The list starts with Cliff Gustafson, Augie Garrido and Rick Barnes and also includes offensive coordinator Greg Davis and defensive coordinator Leon Fuller.
Favorite all-time interview: Charles Barkley. Not sure if I ever even asked a question. Mostly, I just listened. (Abe Lemons is the first runner-up.)
Best athletes to deal with: My top eight, in order, are Bijan Robinson, Kirk Dressendorfer, Jack Nicklaus, Manu Ginobili, Jeff Bagwell, Lance Berkman, Nolan Ryan and Darren Woodson."

"Toughest athletes/coaches to deal with: The list includes PGA champion Brooks Koepka; the late Cleve Bryant, who threatened me over my stories about Lovell Pinkney and Mike Adams; Texas Rangers manager Billy Martin, who once berated me for five minutes; and Steve McMichael."

"The one coach who understood the media was not out to get them: Greg Davis.
The one coach who always thinks you were out to get him: John Mackovic."

"Biggest regret: Sorry, Vince. Yeah, that Heisman vote will be on my tombstone."

"Second biggest: Writing that Chris Mihm’s poor NCAA Tournament game against LSU wasn’t because his grandmother had just died that week. It was rude and inexcusably insensitive. Sorry, Chris, who’s one of the really good guys I’ve covered."

"The one personality eliciting the most mixed reaction: Has to be Gregg Popovich. I admire him for speaking his mind on important social issues. I think he’s smart as hell and the NBA’s best coach ever. But he’s the biggest bully I’ve ever encountered. He has berated way too many local media members and sucked up to the national media. He once replied when I asked if he was surprised the Lakers didn’t double-team Tim Duncan in a playoff game, “What game were you watching?” It became a tagline for friends in the media."

"Things I’m known for:
∙ Asking subjects about their dogs. Too hard to explain. Hey, I like dogs.
∙ Big yellow legal pads. More room to write down stories about people’s dogs.
Third thing I’m known for: Do I really have to keep apologizing for the 2005 Heisman vote?"

"Longest interview: Pick one. They’re all long. It’s my favorite part of the job.
Shortest interview: I interviewed Mickey Mantle — my childhood hero along with Hank Aaron — on the 19th hole at the opening of Onion Creek Club in 1974. I’d prepared about 30 questions for him and had asked maybe three, at which point Mr. Yankee asked me in a very irritated tone, “What are you doing, writing a book?” The same week, when I was asking Spurs head coach Tom Nissalke about center Swen Nater, Nissalke said, “What are you doing, writing a book?” No, but if I ever pen my memoirs, that will be the title.
Most fascinating interview: Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. I always learned something from every one of his press conferences. The man is brilliant. (Lemons and Barkley, runners-up.)"

"What I’d be doing if I weren’t a sportswriter: I’d probably be a criminal lawyer or the late Joe Jamail’s assistant. And Vince would have won the Heisman."

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.