ADVERTISEMENT

A website just printed

littleton tiger

Dec 31, 2012
Springdale Arkansas
that Baylor should be #1. Perhaps, but I feel that teams that are too chickenshit to line up and play REAL football should not be considered for the playoffs If a team wants to be a champion line up a go man on man with your opponent and see who the better team really is. I guarantee that if Texas and Baylor played and both used the I formation Texas would win.

The spread teams have done pretty good against the vaunted SEC defenses. OU is 3-0 against Alabama.

It is still too pre-mature to put Baylor in the top 5. I think they are an excellent team, but we don't really know. If Baylor gets through the Big 12 unscathed, then I have no problem placing them at #1.

If it were me (as things stand right now):
1. tOSU
2. Utah
3. Clemson
4. TCU
5. Bama
6. MSU
7. LSU
8. Baylor
9. Fla St
10. Notre Dame

The Big 12 does not have a good overall bowl record vs the SEC since the beginning of the BCS. HUNH offenses can be stopped. The only issue I have with offenses today are the picks and issues with lineman down field. I wish they would call more offensive PI and change the rule so that lineman can only be one yard downfield. But I have no problem with up tempo. Offenses can run uptempo, and defenses can move around before the snap.

Reactions: HornDrummer
that Baylor should be #1. Perhaps, but I feel that teams that are too chickenshit to line up and play REAL football should not be considered for the playoffs If a team wants to be a champion line up a go man on man with your opponent and see who the better team really is. I guarantee that if Texas and Baylor played and both used the I formation Texas would win.

When did you get to decide what real football is???

I guess the FACT that your team employs a multiple set offense, including at times a heavy spread shotgun set for the past decade......well that doesn't matter. You should tell Les to stop playing whoosie football half the time and line up and smash a fullback in to the line that way half your lineup gets concussions.

Look I am not a big fan of the way Baylor plays ball. But the beauty of sports is that you are allowed to line up however you want and call whatever plays you want WITHIN the rules. BU certainly does that.

Now go cry to your grandma or someone who cares. Maybe you should realize you aren't the only person in the world allowed to have an opinion on football.

Baylor can play however they want and it is up to the defenses to stop them.Period.If they cant stop them then too damned bad....My issue with baylor is playing such an easy damned schedule....That is what will cost them.

By the way....a friend asked me the other day..."who is the most valuable for baylor?"....I said "The bail bondsman?"....

Hell, jsto, let's just change the rules. 2 simple changes
1. 15 seconds between plays except in the last 5 minutes of each half
2. at least one player beside or behind the quarterback on each play except in the last 5 minutes of each half
Now we are back to playing the game as it was meant tp be played IMHO.

2. at least one player beside or behind the quarterback on each play except in the last 5 minutes of each half

Man up and learn how to stop it. Simple as that. Stop bitching.

I just don't see Utah being your #2 team. The PAC is very weak. If they played in the Big 12. I see them losing to BU, OK, OK st, TT, TCU and UT. Probably even WV and Kst.
Everybody is high on Michigan and Utah beat them. Utah is a legitimate good team. PAC12 is tough. Only TCU or Baylor from B12 may beat them-no others. Anyway, that is just how things stand. There is a lot of football to be played. This last Saturday was a good "Separation Saturday". It is getting good and each subsequent saturday will continue to filter out the non-elites.

The Big 12 does not have a good overall bowl record vs the SEC since the beginning of the BCS. HUNH offenses can be stopped. The only issue I have with offenses today are the picks and issues with lineman down field. I wish they would call more offensive PI and change the rule so that lineman can only be one yard downfield. But I have no problem with up tempo. Offenses can run uptempo, and defenses can move around before the snap.

Good points... Though fundamentally a philosophy change, I'd like to see the intentional grounding rule changed too. Just escaping and throwing it passed the line of scrimmage is a very low bar. There should at least be a receiver in the vicinity.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
I would be in favor of some pro defensive rule changes. For the just man up crowd, do you not realize all of the changes that have happened that are pro offense? A lot in the name of safety, I won't argue that that's a bad thing, but I also recognize that they certainly have a negative impact on defenders.

Reactions: OldHornInPA
every new type offense that has come and gone was eventually defensed by new schemes. I dont agree that the way to handle new offenses is to regulate them out of existence. Sharp minds found a way to defend against the wishbone, west coast, run and shoot, air raid, etc. I dont like the idea of changing the rules to do so now.

Why stop there?

Bama and LSU play pansy ball, they should be playing rugby.Why not start letting OU players murder people on the field and get medical redshirts if they get hurt in the process. I mean in 100 years all this spread offense shit will look ridiculous when we are playing football with less gravity on the moon and completing 800 yd field goals for 20 points.

I am glad you get that the game changes and aren't a narcissist that thinks only the way your team plays is the real way to play or anything like that.

Reactions: Jollyboi23
every new type offense that has come and gone was eventually defensed by new schemes. I dont agree that the way to handle new offenses is to regulate them out of existence. Sharp minds found a way to defend against the wishbone, west coast, run and shoot, air raid, etc. I dont like the idea of changing the rules to do so now.

The sharp defensive minds that schemed up ways to defeat new offenses over the years were allowed to punish receivers and QBs. Their DBs were allowed to fight for position with receivers without being flagged, and at the end of the day refs kept flags in their pocket in the name of a good physical play. Now it's all opposite and refs are told to err on the side of safety (which means flagging defenders) even if incorrect. Bullshit 15 yard penalties for late hits to the QB or defenseless receivers are the norm now.

Your argument seems very old school and I can respect that, but there has already been fundamental shift in how the game is played and it's in favor of the offense. Some of that by design, and some of that in the name of safety. I don't know the point of arguing that rules shouldn't be changed, when they are already being changed left and right.

Last edited:
Sorry but this argument is very Aggie. LSU fan, you are better than that.

Do you wake up in the morning feeling like you didn't lose.....you just ran out of time and/or the rules just weren't fair enough for you?

Again, I don't like BUs way of playing ball that much. But believe it or not, their O is predicated on their run game. They want to run the ball more than they want to pass it. And they win when they RUN. The difference for them this year is in the trenches. Their OL is blowing people off the ball. And their DL has a couple nice players on it.

Quit crying and go beat them. That is football. It evolves. It swings with new fads. Teams jump on board. Then the pendulum swings back as teams forget how to defend the old stuff. New rules are shifting this pendulum a bit. But the game has rules and it is simple....score more than the other guy. Either by stopping them or putting up more points. Baylor and these spread teams play the same game, on the same field.....go cry to Argentina. Aggy really is rubbing off on you in a bad way.

Bubba...I think I see your point, and it is a good one. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying.I agree very much that defenders have the right to the football, and they have the right to treat the quarterback as a player with the ball that and can attack him as such. Mike Ditka once asked...."what do you want to do..put a dress on em"?..I am just against having to require 15 or however many seconds between plays "in the name of safety" when it just means your guys cant keep up.

I'm stuck in the middle of both these arguments.
Pro Offense:
- I like watching football teams score points
- Games that end like 10-7, 13-10, or whatever just look sloppy to me and almost bore me at times
Pro Defense:
- I don't like watching football games that end like 70-60
- I fear that football will eventually turn into glorified 7 on 7

Reactions: AlabamaHorn
Agree with Coach there has to be a way to even things up between offense and defense in college football. When a team scores 60-70 points it more about either a inferior opponent or an unfair advantage for the offense. Just to be clear the definition of unfair is open to interpretation.

The fans want the points. They've made that much clear. Even before the changes regarding safety refs were erring on the side of the offense for more points. Nothing is going to happen rule wise we will just have to learn to deal with it. I just don't like the argument against possible pro defensive changes being construed as whining. The game has completely changed in the past couple of decades and rule changes to restore some normality wouldn't be a bad idea imo. Otherwise we just move closer and closer to a glorified 7 on 7 tournament.

I guess I am just old school. There are 11 on offense, and 11 on defense. The defense can send all 11 and over whelm the O line and get the QB....then the offense gets creative and uses this to an advantage and works screen passes, shovel passes, super quick throws etc....it is a cat and mouse game....I dont worry about 70-60 as long as good defensive coaches learn how to defeat the unbeatable....When the wishbone came out it was unfair....now it is easy to defend.

Reactions: westx
The single wing was once the system, but things changed. Coaches do get the perogative to choose the style of offense they think is most beneficial for their team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT