ADVERTISEMENT

America's Acceptance of Murder

atex720

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2013
Have Americans always been this okay with death?

I'm young, I missed most of the decades of the 1900s so I'm curious to how it was. I know that with 2 World Wars, the Great Depression, and Vietnam and Korea, most generations before me had a lot of experience with thousands and millions of people being violently killed before they even reached the age of 30. Mostly it was foreigners, but a lot of American people lost their lives too. So I understand how growing up around those times would give someone a different perspective on life and death and what we should expect from life than someone born in the 80s or later who is not used to seeing large chunks of the world's population wiped out. So maybe that's why, as as guy in his 20s, it's really painful for me to hear about "mass" shootings on the news and think about the lives that were just senselessly ended before they could reach their true potential.

But despite all of this tragedy, as a country, America does not care enough to even try to stop the violence. The most that most people do is tell social media that they will pray for the victims. Is that because everyone 35 and above is just used to people being gunned down in the streets? "It happened in the 10s, the 30s, the 40s, the 50s, the 60s and the 70s, this is just more of that, what can you do?" Is that the mindset? Does having lived through war(s) make it easier for older adults to stomach 20+ elementary school children being slaughtered? Is this just something my generation and then the millennials is just going to have to learn to live with?

Sorry for the rant, just had to get some stuff off my chest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News