ADVERTISEMENT

Andrew Jones diagnosed with leukemia

Good thing he goes to UT one of the best medical schools in the nation to take care of him.

HOOK 'EM

Last edited:
Damn. That sucks for him.

Good news: MD Anderson will give him the best treatment on the planet. If he can be cured, they will do it.
Bad news: basketball career is likely over
Good news part 2: being alive and being cured will trump any bad news.

Good luck to you kid.

I had a really bad feeling it was something like this... last week Shaka said “we’re not really sure what’s going on”. Monday of this week he was kind of cryptic saying “we’re just concerned about the young man right now”. I just had a feeling nothing good was showing up

Hopefully everything turns out ok. Good look to you man

This sucks! I’m a cancer survivor - brain tumor. I go back to MD Anderson next week.
Best of luck to you ChampsHorn, and prayers to both you and Andrew. I’ve spent to much time at MD taking care of family in the 80’s that I care to think about, but keep your spirits up. Best in the world there.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Best of luck to you ChampsHorn, and prayers to both you and Andrew. I’ve spent to much time at MD taking care of family in the 80’s that I care to think about, but keep your spirits up. Best in the world there.
Thanks. Went for a tumor removal about 10 years ago. Going for a check up.

Reactions: HornsRuleU

Good news: MD Anderson will give him the best treatment on the planet. If he can be cured, they will do it.

Good luck to you kid.

It's hard to say with Leukemia. There are many different types and some respond incredibly well to relatively well tolerated chemotherapeutic agents. On the other hand, some require bone marrow transplants.

I'm hoping that his is a more benign type. The Texans have an OL that has undergone treatment and returned to the team.

Good luck to you kid.
Many different leukemias. If he has one of the more treatable ones, like Hodgkins lymphoma, good chance he gets a full cure, and can play once treatment is complete.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Wow, I hope that good news applies here. When I read a teammate tweeting, "Get well soon," it was hard to have any faith. But perhaps there's reason to hope.

Not much detail in this article, but some great news nonetheless.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...onghorns-improving-undergoes-cancer-treatment

Texas' Andrew Jones seeing 'positive strides' to leukemia treatments

Sam Khan Jr.
ESPN Staff Writer
12:59 PM ET

Texas sophomore guard Andrew Jones, who was diagnosed with leukemia in January, is seeing improvement in his condition, his family announced on Saturday.

"We do want everyone to know that in the last two weeks, Andrew has made some positive strides," his family said in a statement released by the school. "He's even been able to get out of bed and move around some, which is a huge difference from when he was first diagnosed in Austin."

Jones, whose condition was announced on January 10, was moved to the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston on Jan. 19, where he continues to undergo treatment.

The 6-foot-4 Jones was second on the team in scoring (13.5 points per game) before his diagnosis. He was a McDonald's All-American coming out of MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas, and averaged 11.4 points per game as a freshman. He declared for the NBA draft after his freshman season but eventually withdrew his name and chose to return to school for his sophomore season.

The Longhorns host No. 12 Oklahoma on Saturday. The team has seen significant support from those around the program as well as opposing teams for Jones since his diagnosis.

"We are very appreciative of the outpouring of love and support for Andrew and our family, and we do ask that you continue to keep Andrew in your daily thoughts and prayers," the family said. "We know there's a long battle ahead, but together we will win this fight."

Reactions: HornsRuleU
(From McComas)

If you haven’t noticed, sophomore guard Andrew Jones has become active on Twitter again. What began as a “thank you” to everyone that’s supported him and a message to his team to beat Oklahoma has turned into awesome and encouraging updates about his progress. Heck, he’s even getting some shots up.

Andrew Jones✔@DrewdotCash

1f92b.png

5:42 PM - Feb 7, 2018

· 4,919 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Here’s what I can pass along: last week was a big step forward for Jones. Getting Jones down to MD Anderson Cancer Center sparked the young man to feel, well, to start to feel like himself again as much as someone undergoing treatment for leukemia can. Jones is tackling this battle with a terrific mindset right now, and the outpouring of support and visits are helping.

He still has a long, unpredictable road ahead, but Jones is in a good place right now after a positive week.

Reactions: horn wild
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT