ADVERTISEMENT

Article on the Toia's from their high school days

marka1

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
Good kids

As proud Tongans, Toia brothers know about overcoming 'the struggle' on and off the field​

Loren Ledin
Ventura
Published Nov 21, 2010

The words are strong, like the player himself. When Jay Toia considers the attraction, the impact, the opportunity that football presents for his Tonga islanders culture, he has a ready answer.

"It's the struggle," says Grace Brethren High's 6-foot-3, 330-pound junior. "We're used to the struggle for a better life. We know how to keep battling through challenges. Football is a way to get off the islands."

The Grace Brethren High football team has savored a monumental run the past three seasons, including back-to-back CIF-Southern Section championships in Division 8 and Division 4. The Lancers last season also won the CIF-State Bowl Game in Division 2AA.

The program now has a chance to qualify for its third consecutive Southern Section championship contest. Grace Brethren (11-1) will host La Habra (10-2) on Friday night in the Division 3 semifinals. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Royal High.

Amid Grace Brethren's 38-6 streak over the past three seasons, no Lancers have played bigger roles — both figuratively and literally — than brothers Soane and Jay Toia.

The proud Tongans — one born in the Virgin Islands and one born in Inglewood — lend the physical presence that characterizes Lancers football. The physical stature is what almost all opponents have been unable to handle, and none in big games.

"They're great players and great young men," said Grace Brethren head coach Josh Henderson. "They've meant so much to our program."

Soane, the 6-1, 290-pound senior, is a wrecking ball at defensive end who has notched 37 tackles, including 24 solos, 17 tackles for losses and 9.5 sacks. He's also the sledgehammer running back on the goal line, with 18 carries for 68 yards and five touchdowns.

"I do enjoy carrying the football," he said through a smile. "I love the challenge on the goal line. I've got strong hands and I'm not going to lose the ball. But I'm most happy playing defense. I just like to chase after people and quarterbacks."

Jay, the sizable two-way player, is an anchor on the offensive line and a key cog in the Lancers' trademark running game. But he gets the most pleasure from lining up next to his brother on the defensive line.

"I like defense because I can just get after people," said Jay, who has six sacks, eight tackles for losses and 19 solos. "It's about being aggressive on every play."

And, oh yes, Jay picked up a personal highlight and his first-ever offensive stat in last week's 33-31 victory over Lawndale in the quarterfinals.

Jay got his very first carry at running back on the goal line, and bulled in for a 1-yard touchdown.

He beams at that recollection. "Really good feeling," he said. "That definitely was fun."

While arguably the nicest guys on the entire Grace Brethren roster, if not the whole campus, the Toias do come with a caveat for opponents. The demeanor clearly changes on the football field.

"If you're wearing the other uniform, I'm coming after you," said Soane. "We're not going to get along."

Their prowess at football is an intriguing tale.

Soane was born in the Virgin Islands, where he spent most of his 17 years. Jay was born in Inglewood, but moved with his family to the Virgin Islands when still a baby.

The sport they grew up with was rugby. Their association with football was virtually zero.

"Never watched it, never played it," said Jay. "I didn't know how to play it."

Most islanders grow up poor, or part of that "struggle'' to which Jay alludes. Their father, Viliami Toia, moved the family to the United States in 2017 seeking that better life. Their uncle suggested that the brothers follow their cousin — former Grace Brethren standout (and current USC player) Stanley Taufoou — to the Christian-oriented school in Simi Valley.

Their first visit to the school was, well, underwhelming.

"I'm thinking, there's no way I'm going to stay here," said Jay.

But that's how the story turned out. The brothers took to the family culture at Grace Brethren. They embraced the emphasis on religion and the Bible.

"That's how we were raised," said Soane. "The Bible is important to us. We got here and we were immediately accepted like family. The football team is all about bonding and brotherhood. We are very comfortable here."

The quick acclimation to football? Yes and no.

While the brothers had the stature and athletic skills, the exposure to football was a big, fat nil. They might have well been martians stepping off a UFO.

But the coaches knew what they had.

"I give them all the credit," said Soane. "They taught us the game. They taught us everything. Without them, I don't know what would have happened."

Said Jay: "We learned so much, and we're still learning. I don't think we'll ever stop learning and trying to get better."

Their experience in rugby, and in playing a physical sport, sped their transition. Soane joined the varsity as a sophomore. Jay was on varsity as a freshman.

"Actually, football is a little easier for me than rugby," said Soane. "There are no breaks, no breathers in rugby. You just keep playing."

Absorbing how the play the game is in the Toias' wheelhouse. Both are stellar students: Jay holds a 3.7 grade-point average; Soane is right behind at 3.5.

The brothers are as close as a pair of puppies. They'll compete on the practice field, but it is mostly about supporting each other.

"During practice, we might get after each other a bit," said Soane. "But we root for each other. He's happy when I make a play. I'm happy when he makes a play."

They also enjoy a burgeoning growth for the islanders culture in high school football in Southern California. Victory Vaka, a junior defensive tackle at Westlake High, is a family friend whose fathers attend the same church.

Grace Brethren played two close games with Westlake, including a 42-38 victory in a first-round playoff game on Nov. 8.

"We enjoy playing against each other," said Soane. "There's a lot of talking going on between us."

The next step for both brothers will be bright. Jay, as a junior, is already committed to USC. Soane, the senior, is a top target for Arizona and Hawaii.

"It's great that we'll be able to go to college and play football," said Jay. "It's what we've talked about — having a better life."

Soane recognizes that high school and college isn't just about football.

"The education is what's most important," he said. "Most guys don't go on to play professional football. Education is what prepares you for the next step in life."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News