ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Article - How to shorten college football games

jshorn

Everyone's favorite poser
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2006
Athletic taking a crack at the problem of college games with way too much downtime. The four suggestions:

1. More in-game commercials
2. Less Replay review
3. Helmet radio technology
4. Shrink Halftime

My thoughts on their suggestions:

1. More in game commercials. I like this, but issue is once advertisers agree to it, they will find a way to make it in addition to regular commercial breaks, as opposed to instead of commercial breaks. If, we can be assured that doesn’t happen, I love this idea. Use split screen for lots of the action when a play isn’t happening. Split screens during reviews or ref discussions. Split screens as teams send out punt/FG units, etc. You could even keep it split during punts until the guy catches it, and if it’s a fair catch leave it.

2. Less Replay. Please yes. It makes the game unbearable to watch. Every little decision is reviewed. Don’t have the refs jog down to look at screen. Have NY (or wherever they are) simply radio the result. Especially quick ones. I would absolutely rather go to NFL coaches’ challenges, but doesn’t seem like it will happen. It would be much better if it did.

3. Helmet Technology. This seems like it wouldn’t have any impact on game length. Kind of dumb.

4. Shrink halftime. For the love of all things holy, YES. Have the bands play before the game. Nobody needs to see the bands at halftime. Make half 12 minutes just like pro. At most have it 15 minutes. Long halftimes suck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News