ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Q&A with Texas (DFW) HS coaches about Sark and going to SEC

jshorn

Everyone's favorite poser
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2006
Good stuff here that I thought many would enjoy. The coaches pretty much all ripped dipshit Jimbo, but think Elko will be better. They liked Elko as an assistant.

As to Sark:

What have you noticed about Steve Sarkisian and Texas vs. the previous staffs there?​

Coach 1: When Sark hired his staff, I thought he’d put together a great staff as recruiters and as coaches. So I figured he would be able to flip that program around with guys he brought in like Jeff Banks, Bo Davis, Tashard Choice. Those guys have great relationships around the state and I knew with the resources Texas has, they’d be able to get the guys Texas needed.

Coach 2: I compare him to Mack Brown. When you walked into the facility at UT, I was speaking at a clinic and Mack would walk in the door and shake your hand and look you in the eye and say “Hey, (Name).”

Now, he may have no idea who I was but somebody on that staff did and told him coach (name) from (school) is in there. And he walked right in and knew your name. That’s the stuff Mack Brown did and that’s what Sarkisian and his staff are doing. He called me within the first couple days he was named the coach at UT.

I had players. I’m not stupid. I know why he’s calling me. But the previous staff wasn’t doing that. The previous two staffs, really, weren’t doing things like that. Sark and his staff have a great handle on what’s going on in regard to NIL, managing all that and still trying to develop relationships. When I go watch Texas practice, Sark is coaching the QBs, sees me, walks right over and shakes my hand. “Hey Coach, how you doing?” The previous staff wasn’t doing that. Not that I need that, but that is a difference-maker with a lot of people.

Coach 3: They have a little more swagger now. They made Texas a priority again. It’s the same thing. When Charlie Strong had the job, they were recruiting all those guys from Florida, Louisiana and really not making headway in the state. Tom Herman kind of tried to but I don’t think he did a good job of that. Now, Sarkisian realizes Texas is Texas and we’ve got the best players in the country so why not make this our priority? They’ve done it the right way. It reminds me of Mack Brown. When he won the title, he had a bunch of kids from the Metroplex and out of Houston playing. It’s like that model on steroids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News